Big 12 bowl games.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
We haven’t played a bowl in Houston in a long time so I’m excited to go down for this one.

We are in the middle of a tremendous bowl streak right now, but it has made our fans apathetic. In 1997 in San Antonio and 2002 in Houston we earned a reputation for traveling well, but nearly two decades later our fans are less willing to travel for bowl games. I’m not faulting anyone, but I don’t think bowl reps view the fan base the way they did 10 years ago.
I remember a few years ago when it was a big deal for us to make a bowl game - it was an exciting and relatively rare experience. I remember fans posting how they could not understand opposing fan bases that seemed "disappointed" with a bowl and how we were so happy to have one to go to.

OSU football is in a different place now; this will be (I think) 14 seasons in a row we have gone to a bowl, so just any old bowl is not as exciting as it used to be. I plan to go to this year's bowl with several members of my family as it is very convenient for us from Bryan/College Station.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
[
Maybe occasionally it would be interesting to play former league foe, but this is the fourth time they've done that to us, plus this will be like a home game for the Aggies. This is getting old. Has OSU ever played Notre Dame? Now that would have been fun.
Agree it would have been cool to play Notre Dame...I don't think we have. Playing A&M could actually be huge for recruiting IF we win. We desperately need to win. Also, I don't think it's boring at all to play a team from the "god" of all conferences, especially one that left ours for what they considered "greener" pastures... Go Pokes!

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Agree it would have been cool to play Notre Dame...I don't think we have. Playing A&M could actually be huge for recruiting IF we win. We desperately need to win. Also, I don't think it's boring at all to play a team from the "god" of all conferences, especially one that left ours for what they considered "greener" pastures... Go Pokes!
I really wanted Notre dame, then I realized our team isn’t complete and they’re pissed off. If I could have my first team healthy, I’d be all over it. I’m glad it went this way. 8-4 and a boatload of injuries doesn’t bode well for 9-2 and pissed off ND.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
According to Aggie radio this morning it will be very hard for them to win less than 9 games moving forward. I hope we take care of these overrated chumps.

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
I think our Bowl placement was based on three factors:

- We were in the Orlando Bowl year before last. Probably a bit too quick to return.
- Texas obviously wanted no part of A&M. So that moved them up to Alamo. We were in the Alamo Bowl in 2016. Texas hasn't been there since 2013.
- We've never been to the "Texas" Bowl. I'm sure they are excited to have us.

I went to the 2002 "Houston" Bowl when we played S. Mississippi. From a fan experience perspective, probably the worst Bowl trip I've ever made. Don't plan on going to this one.
Worst in what way?

dbt974s

Wrangler
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, CO
If you look at the body of work for the entire season ISU had some good wins and more important better losses:

Lost by 1 to #4 OU Went for 2-point extra point otherwise could have tied in regulation at Norman
Lost by 2 to #7 Baylor
Lost by 1 to #17 Iowa who ended up being a salty team

We lost by quite a bit bigger margins to OU and Baylor, and then there is the TTech loss. That loss haunted us all year.
One team is 8-4, had the same conference record, beat the other on the road, and is ranked in the top 25, the other is 7-5 and unranked. The fact of the matter is ISU is seen as the better draw. Sad.

Nov 14, 2010
I remember a few years ago when it was a big deal for us to make a bowl game - it was an exciting and relatively rare experience. I remember fans posting how they could not understand opposing fan bases that seemed "disappointed" with a bowl and how we were so happy to have one to go to.

OSU football is in a different place now; this will be (I think) 14 seasons in a row we have gone to a bowl, so just any old bowl is not as exciting as it used to be. I plan to go to this year's bowl with several members of my family as it is very convenient for us from Bryan/College Station.
OSU is in a different place, but so is the prestige of making a bowl.

In 1980, there were just 15 bowls.

In 1989 there were just 18.

In 200, there still was only 25

Plus, teams only played 11 games a year back then.

Now....
There are 40

Power 5 teams like OSU only have to win 1/2 their games to make a bowl.

Jun 24, 2011
Wouldn't mind playing aTm with a full team. If we are down Wallace, Sanders and Hubbard doesn't play, I don't like our chances.

Bad match ups for Big XII. Dog in every game but K-State.

Mar 8, 2010
One thing Gundy has really been good at is winning bowl games, but I don't like our chances in this one, especially if we don't have Sanders and Hubbard.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
OSU is in a different place, but so is the prestige of making a bowl.

In 1980, there were just 15 bowls.

In 1989 there were just 18.

In 200, there still was only 25

Plus, teams only played 11 games a year back then.

Now....
There are 40

Power 5 teams like OSU only have to win 1/2 their games to make a bowl.
Trivia of the day:

We were one of the teams in the first bowl game ever with 2 teams without winning records.

Oct 30, 2007
I swear if I hear Robert Allen try to put lipstick on this pig during his radio show tomorrow, I am going to call in and bite his head off. I am sorry but this feels like a big middle finger directed at the OSU program.
You just aren't a very happy person are you? There's no pig here. I mean you can be disappointed in who we got picked against. Houston's really not a bad game. It's a shorter drive for people than Orlando and not such an inconvenience in regards to the Christmas holiday and a chance to beat A&m which is always fun. On top of that the team is getting the extra practices and we won more than just six games in the regular season. Sounds to me like things are doing pretty good.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Plus it is in the heart of our recruiting base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
One team is 8-4, had the same conference record, beat the other on the road, and is ranked in the top 25, the other is 7-5 and unranked. The fact of the matter is ISU is seen as the better draw. Sad.
That is because they have not gone to Bowls for 14 years in a row. And they are closer geographically to ND and closer to Florida. Winning ticket is - they have a lot of farmers that support ISU. A lot of our farmers support you know who

Oct 27, 2011
I think our Bowl placement was based on three factors:

- We were in the Orlando Bowl year before last. Probably a bit too quick to return.
Agree here
- Texas obviously wanted no part of A&M. So that moved them up to Alamo. We were in the Alamo Bowl in 2016. Texas hasn't been there since 2013.
1- The Alamo didn’t have to take what UT wanted into consideration. They simply pick who they want and whether the Texas bowl picked A&M or whoever really didn’t matter. They are two picks downstream.

2- The only team/conference who get to pick who goes to the Texas bowl is the SEC who has sent A&M elsewhere every time they could have matched with a Texas team.

Dodged UT in 2014
Dodge TT in 2015
Dodged UT in 2017
Dodged BU in 2018

Coincidentally they are happy to pair them with non-TX teams in bowls Vs the Big 12.

2014 Liberty Vs WV
2016 Texas Bowl Vs LSU
2019 Texas Bowl Vs OSU

- We've never been to the "Texas" Bowl. I'm sure they are excited to have us.

I went to the 2002 "Houston" Bowl when we played S. Mississippi. From a fan experience perspective, probably the worst Bowl trip I've ever made. Don't plan on going to this one.
The Texas Bowl obviously wanted OSU. Regionally known brand, regional fanbase that will travel, exciting offense, Chuba, etc

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Kinda sad when we have fallen behind Iowa State in the pecking order, especially when we beat them in Ames. I remember thinking back in 2011 that the program was about to explode...great facilities, “Oregon” uniform rotation, explosive and creative offenses. Oops.
We have been to the Alamo, Camping World and Liberty in recent years. With the logjam in conference, the bowls selected teams that would give them fresh fans.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Love Bowl games, will be there. Fourteen years in row, never dreamed it could happen.
I kid you not. When my wife said she was ready for number 2 child, she made a deal with me in 2002. She gets a kid and I get to go to Osu bowl games for life. “I mean like how many could that really be? 3? 5?” I’m still laughing and that kiddo has her eyes set on becoming a Poke.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Love Bowl games, will be there. Fourteen years in row, never dreamed it could happen.
I kid you not. When my wife said she was ready for number 2 child, she made a deal with me in 2002. She gets a kid and I get to go to Osu bowl games for life. “I mean like how many could that really be? 3? 5?” I’m still laughing and that kiddo has her eyes set on becoming a Poke.
So she's what, 16 now?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk