Big 12 2018 vs 2017

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
OU. Down a little. ..But still very good. Has to drop off a little bit but still too early to tell how much

OSU...Down. Same boat as OU due to QB and WRs. D should be better

TCU... Anout the same. Loss of their QB could be a plus in some instances but should be less potent on O

ISU. TBD. Should be down a little with the loss of key players

KSU....Down

UT....Down....same o. Worse D

TT.....Down

WV....better

BU....about the same.

KU. Who cares

This is just my perception as of right now, but it’s very possible that even though we aren’t as good as last year overall, we may have just as good a shot at the CCG due to the other teams losses. Plus, unlike last year, we should have contribution from STs which would be a big boost.

With the combination of RBs, Better STa and an upgraded Defense I think we can win every game. Obv I don’t think we will, but we have a very good shot in all of them. I’m guessing we will be an underdog in maybe 2 games.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I keep waiting for that very pedestrian B12 year where we all just kinda beat up on each other and the title game is between a couple 2 (or 3) loss teams. NOT because the B12 is good... but that they are all just meh mediocre.

Maybe that's the kinda year the B12 is headed for. :confused:

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
OU: About the same

OSU: Worse than last year

TCU: About the same to slightly worse

UT: Not sure how you can say their defense is worse. Maryland dropped 51 on them last year.

ISU: Think they will be better this year than last year, lost Lazard on offense and Lanning on defense but think they will be a better team.

TTU: About as bad as they have been under Kliff

BU: Better than they were last year. They actually beat their FCS opponent

WVU: Think they're better, but Tennessee is also a joke so...

KSU: I'm not ready to count them out due to a bad performance against an FCS school. I've seen before where they struggle against a terrible opponent week 1 then reel off an 8-9 win season.

KU: Is easily the worst P5 team in the country and might just be the worst FBS team in the country.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
OU: Maybe slightly worse without Mayfield, but the rest of the team as a whole may be better.
OSU: Likely worse overall, but that may change as the year goes on. OL will be a big factor.
TCU: Same
UT: I still say they are going to be a fair bit better. Likely not better than 8-4 though.
ISU: Unsure. Probably about the same
TTU: About the same despite the last game.
BU: better for sure
WVU: Could be a LOT better
KSU: Unknown.
KU: You can't really get worse than were they were so...

stonewallpoke

가라
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Gunsan City, Korea
If you think OU is down then I don't know what you watched last weekend. FAU is a solid G5 team and they swept them aside like they were Schnelly's FAU.

The only teams that surprise me so far are Texas Tech and Kansas. I knew they wouldn't be that good, but damn. I didn't know Tech would take it on the chin that hard against Ole Miss, and I definitely thought KU would at least kind of improve past the point where they're losing to Nichols State. My goodness.

KSU always starts slow.

Texas is exactly as mediocre at best as they've been.

West Virginia and TCU learned about as much as we did against Missouri State.

Iowa State didn't get to play.

Baylor is going to struggle, but probably not winning only one this year.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
My son was in the UT West Campus Plucker's (a wing and beer joint) yesterday (Thursday) and local sportstalk radio was interviewing UTHC Herman.
He said Herman looked all stressed out and uncomfortable being in there. As soon as the interview was over, Herman took the "Hollywood Exit" out through the kitchen back door like he's Selena Gomez or something.

It's one thing to lose to Maryland again, but there is NO BUZZ WHATSOEVER about this Longhorn team here in Austin. That loss was like The Hindenburg as far as UT momentum here in Austin.

I think Herman's demeanor reveals a highly questionable season for the Longhorns.

Last edited:

osuwhit

Cutting the grass and listening to Van Halen rap.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
If you think OU is down then I don't know what you watched last weekend. FAU is a solid G5 team and they swept them aside like they were Schnelly's FAU.

The only teams that surprise me so far are Texas Tech and Kansas. I knew they wouldn't be that good, but damn. I didn't know Tech would take it on the chin that hard against Ole Miss, and I definitely thought KU would at least kind of improve past the point where they're losing to Nichols State. My goodness.

KSU always starts slow.

Where did all the Tech hype come from? I was not expecting them to be good at all and that’s how they looked against Ole Miss.

osuwhit

Cutting the grass and listening to Van Halen rap.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
My son was in the UT West Campus Plucker's (a wing and beer joint) yesterday (Thursday) and local sportstalk radio was interviewing UTHC Herman.
He said Herman looked all stressed out and uncomfortable being in there. As soon as the interview was over, Herman took the "Hollywood Exit" out through the kitchen back door like he's Celina Gomez or something.

It's one thing to lose to Maryland again, but there is NO BUZZ WHATSOEVER about this Longhorn team here in Austin. That loss was like The Hindenburg as far as UT momentum here in Austin.

I think Herman's demeanor reveals a highly questionable season for the Longhorns.
He certainly looked frazzled, wait.. no. He looked like $h!t in the presser after the Maryland game, almost like a whooped dog. Good to know he’s still in the same spirits.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
He certainly looked frazzled, wait.. no. He looked like $h!t in the presser after the Maryland game, almost like a whooped dog. Good to know he’s still in the same spirits.
Couldn't happen to a better guy. The douche factor is strong with Herman.

KSU always starts slow.

They lost to Navy, Wisconsin & Buffalo last year, then went on to beat literally nobody on their way to 10 wins last year. The hype with FAU is way, way overblown & primarily all about Kiffin. Yes, OU looked great against them, but FAU ain't this year's Central Florida.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker

They lost to Navy, Wisconsin & Buffalo last year, then went on to beat literally nobody on their way to 10 wins last year. The hype with FAU is way, way overblown & primarily all about Kiffin. Yes, OU looked great against them, but FAU ain't this year's Central Florida.
Agree. FAU will have to show me something before I credit them with a "solid G5 team" status. They looked absolutely clueless on all sides of the ball. The love for an abject failure like Kiffin continues to amaze me. He left one employer in the lurch, and was fired from the other 3 of 4 jobs he has most recently held. I know he wasn't publicly "fired" at Bama, but Satan certainly nodded towards the door.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Agree. FAU will have to show me something before I credit them with a "solid G5 team" status. They looked absolutely clueless on all sides of the ball. The love for an abject failure like Kiffin continues to amaze me. He left one employer in the lurch, and was fired from the other 3 of 4 jobs he has most recently held. I know he wasn't publicly "fired" at Bama, but Satan certainly nodded towards the door.
You know, I was totally with you on Kiffin until recently. I don't know that I'll ever root for him, but I do have to say that in interviews I've heard with the guy since getting to FAU, he seems to have matured & have a sense of himself & how the world views him. He's easily one of the most candid coaches in an interview & will actually say some things, instead of the standard coach-speak " I've said something while saying nothing at all" crap we always get.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
I think folks (including me) have been too hard on Kansas especially Beaty. I read something recently that made me reconsider everything I thought about KU. When DB took over KU he had 39 scholarship players and this year he only has, I think it said 70. That means that in his first couple of years he had less scholarship players than the fcs programs he was facing. That he beat Texas is incredible that he’s won 4 games is actually not too bad.

Last edited:

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Everyone should have had a clue on TX when it took Herman 30 seconds to think if he had any elite athletes on the team at the Big XII media days.

stonewallpoke

가라
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Gunsan City, Korea

Solid to me is being bowl eligible with a few games to spare, like 8-9 wins. I'm not expecting them to be UCF of last year or this year. I was expecting them to put up some resistance. They did not.

stonewallpoke

가라
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Gunsan City, Korea
Where did all the Tech hype come from? I was not expecting them to be good at all and that’s how they looked against Ole Miss.
I don't know that there was ever "hype", but at least a few places I read there was supposed to be an actual, living, breathing average defense in Lubbock this year. Survey says: nope. I expected them to be competitive in the Ole Miss game, not get run off the field by nearly 3 TDs.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
I keep waiting for that very pedestrian B12 year where we all just kinda beat up on each other and the title game is between a couple 2 (or 3) loss teams. NOT because the B12 is good... but that they are all just meh mediocre.

Maybe that's the kinda year the B12 is headed for. :confused:
This year kind of reminds me of 2013.

OSU nearly won the conference with a new DC and a conference that was down offensively. That 2013 defense was the best I can remember at OSU but if they were facing 2017 Big 12 QBs, they might not have done as well. I think our defense will put up pretty good numbers this year. Partly due to new scheme and partly because the offenses will be down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk