Bicycle question

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I've just started riding a bike for exercise. I've discovered that the bike I have really isn't big enough, the seat needs to be back at least 3" further. It is already back as far as it will go. Apart from buying another bike, which really isn't an option, is there anything I can do?

keystonecowboy

Loyalist & Truest
A/V Subscriber
Oct 2, 2018
Stillwater
I've just started riding a bike for exercise. I've discovered that the bike I have really isn't big enough, the seat needs to be back at least 3" further. It is already back as far as it will go. Apart from buying another bike, which really isn't an option, is there anything I can do?
Depending on the make/model of your bike... you should be able to buy a bent or curved seat post. You can then choose to turn that curve to the front or back to shorten or lenthen the pedal length, in your case turn the curve to the back. Drop by a local bike shop, those guys know way too much about bikes. I only know this limited info because my mom is an avid cyclist.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Buy a new bike and go get fitted. If you are going to spend any real amount of time on the bike this is time/money well spent.

Jun 14, 2011
You can also get a longer stem which will increase the distance between the seat and your grip on the handle bars.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Is this a mountain bike or road bike? People have already chimed in with what I'm going to suggest, but you can do a Google search for Thomson elite lay back seat post and get one of those. (but you'll have to know the specific diameter of seatpost for your frame. That will give you about an extra inch. Then look for a 120mm stem for your handlebars. Although I don't know how long your current stem is. But yeah, if you are serious about riding this bike for exercise, you really need to look into getting a bigger one. Keep your eye out on facebook marketplace or Craigslist for your area. Brand new bikes are expensive unless you buy walmart crap bikes.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Rx...I have been riding a bike for many years and it is excellent exercise without the dangers of putting too much weigh on your weight-bearing joints. My advice is to go to one or more bike shops and ask them for advice. Bikes can cost thousands or you can buy excellent new or good used bikes for only a few hundred.
I ride a combination bike (between a road bike and an off-road bike) that allow me to ride upright...not bent only the handlebars. I always ride bike paths never roads since if you are hit by a car you are likely come out
second best or dead. Write me if you would like to discuss this more.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Is this a mountain bike or road bike? People have already chimed in with what I'm going to suggest, but you can do a Google search for Thomson elite lay back seat post and get one of those. (but you'll have to know the specific diameter of seatpost for your frame. That will give you about an extra inch. Then look for a 120mm stem for your handlebars. Although I don't know how long your current stem is. But yeah, if you are serious about riding this bike for exercise, you really need to look into getting a bigger one. Keep your eye out on facebook marketplace or Craigslist for your area. Brand new bikes are expensive unless you buy walmart crap bikes.
It is a mountain bike... okay, so, I'm going to admit, I bought a Schwinn at Walmart. I never expected to ride much so it seemed like it would be okay, and it was the most expensive bike Walmart had. A year ago I took it to the local bike shop and had a tune-up which cost dang near what the thing did new.

Dayton has more bike trail miles per capita than anywhere else in the country. I don't tell people here I bought Schwinn any more because I don't like getting "the look".

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Why don't you go into a good bike shop and ask about used bikes? Most salesmen are bikers themselves and like to talk bikes. Tell them your story and learn from them.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
Buy a new bike and go get fitted. If you are going to spend any real amount of time on the bike this is time/money well spent.
This is excellent advice for the "working man" with expendable income.

I'm waay cheaper than that. Measure yourself, and unless you have a weird ratio (unusually long legs or torso), you can figure out the proper frame size yourself. Google shit, and you'll find how to setup; e.g. KOPS (Knee over pedal stem" for fore and aft positioning. Next, shop for a bike; CL/eBay/etc that FITS. A decent bike with decent groupo - Shimano/SRAM both are good. @docjoctoo 's advice is good. pick some brains.

3" is a LOT. @PJ-OSU and @keystonecowboy 's ideas are good and can gain you a couple inches (maybe). Depends on just how modifiable that Schwinn is, and if you want to put that much lipstick on a pig.

I love biking. Not into the centuries anymore, but I'm around 50-70mi/week. I do local trails on a 20 year old hard-tail no front suspension Kona steel bike. It's a beast, but near indestructable. Cost $50. My road machine, though is a Litespeed/SRAM Red machine, which was a wee bit more.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I came really close to buying a used bike over the weekend. I need to stabilize my finances just a little more and it will be doable. I'm finding a LOT of high quality used bikes in the $100-200 range that sold originally for $500 or more.

Aug 16, 2012
I came really close to buying a used bike over the weekend. I need to stabilize my finances just a little more and it will be doable. I'm finding a LOT of high quality used bikes in the $100-200 range that sold originally for $500 or more.
I bought a road bike from a rich guy with big ambitions. Original retail was something like $1300 and I bought it essentially unused for $150. Sold it essentially unused for $50. You will find a deal.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
Doesn't matter how good the deal is if the frame size is wrong. measure your inseam, which will give you an idea. I'm guessing medium or large frame size. EBay advanced search for completed items might give you an idea of value. @OSUinTX is absolutely right.