Bi-partisan amendment to revoke POTUS ability to revoke Security Clearances will be put forward

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Mark Warner D-VA is introducing an amendment next week that will block POTUS from punishing or intimidating critics by revoking security clearances

Sen Jeff Flake R-AZ is cosponsoring the amendment

https://twitter.com/MarkWarner/status/1032286996071366656

https://twitter.com/JeffFlake/status/1032415779038343168

Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Mark Warner D-VA is introducing an amendment next week that will block POTUS from punishing or intimidating critics by revoking security clearances

Sen Jeff Flake R-AZ is cosponsoring the amendment

https://twitter.com/MarkWarner/status/1032286996071366656

https://twitter.com/JeffFlake/status/1032415779038343168
Good, Congress has given far to much of their power over to the President because of sheer fear of being voted out of office for actually taking a hard stand. This is a nice jester but it won't go an inch farther than this.

Jul 20, 2018
These people work for Trump. They do what he says to do. It's not that hard to understand unless you're a moron. It will never pass. If it does, SCOTUS will throw it out.

Sep 13, 2013
Left field
These people work for Trump. They do what he says to do. It's not that hard to understand unless you're a moron. It will never pass. If it does, SCOTUS will throw it out.
They are supposed to work for the America people. That's why they are elected to represent US. Sleep through those brainwashing history classes much?

Jul 20, 2018
They are supposed to work for the America people. That's why they are elected to represent US. Sleep through those brainwashing history classes much?
For the ignorant, there's no one in the Executive Branch of the Federal Government that was elected. I've never seen Attorney General, FBI Director, NSA Director, CIA Director on any ballot I filled out. Please go to the library and do a little learnin'. My gosh. You were a school teacher?

Sep 13, 2013
Left field
For the ignorant, there's no one in the Executive Branch of the Federal Government that was elected. I've never seen Attorney General, FBI Director, NSA Director, CIA Director on any ballot I filled out. Please go to the library and do a little learnin'. My gosh. You were a school teacher?
Mark Warner and Jeff Flake are members of Congress. They work for the people. Unless you smoked crack for breakfast you should know that.

Jul 20, 2018
You are so busy trying to block or criticize my every post you've lost complete track of where you are. Admit it, take a breath, and ask Siri for directions.
Uhhhhh……….take a few seconds and go back and read the thread. You replied to my post to start yet another round of ignorance with you.

Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Uhhhhh……….take a few seconds and go back and read the thread. You replied to my post to start yet another round of ignorance with you.
You can't read and comprehend. I'll leave it at that. This thread is about two Congressmen striving to limit Presidential power. Doubt it will have much effect. Why don't you try to stop being so reactionary for just an hour or two.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Say what you will about Trump, but love him or hate him, you cannot deny that this is the most backbone Congress has had in at least a generation or more.

That being said, I do not like this at all. Security clearance is not a right, it is a privilege and a tool used for the protection of this country.....passing something like this would change security clearance into nothing more than a political tool to be wielded by whichever party has a majority in Congress. How stupid would we have to be to want that?

Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Say what you will about Trump, but love him or hate him, you cannot deny that this is the most backbone Congress has had in at least a generation or more.

That being said, I do not like this at all. Security clearance is not a right, it is a privilege and a tool used for the protection of this country.....passing something like this would change security clearance into nothing more than a political tool to be wielded by whichever party has a majority in Congress. How stupid would we have to be to want that?
While I agree that security clearances should not be a political hammer. I disagree about Congress having backbone, look pretty spineless from my sideline.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
Why should people have clearance for life & be able to profit off it?
Please explain to me how they profit from their current security clearance while being a civilian? It isn't like they can just go in and request to see whatever they want. Even if they could, they still couldn't talk about it. Top secret is top secret no matter what their current job is.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
You can't read and comprehend. I'll leave it at that. This thread is about two Congressmen striving to limit Presidential power. Doubt it will have much effect. Why don't you try to stop being so reactionary for just an hour or two.
He was discussing the idea that security clearances shouldn't be for life and he was discussing it in terms of the recent move by Trump to remove security clearances from several people that were NOT elected officials. You are wrong Pokey. Just leave it.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Please explain to me how they profit from their current security clearance while being a civilian? It isn't like they can just go in and request to see whatever they want. Even if they could, they still couldn't talk about it. Top secret is top secret no matter what their current job is.
There are different levels of clearance, & yes, they're worth $$ to people. I'll let you look it up.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Good, Congress has given far to much of their power over to the President because of sheer fear of being voted out of office for actually taking a hard stand. This is a nice jester but it won't go an inch farther than this.
It is not the "right" of congress.... it is the JOB of the President to provide National Security.

Instead of "revoking the right of the POTUS", why don't they fix the damned problem?

Everybody gets revoked AUTOMATICALLY (with perhaps a couple of exceptions, EX-Prez, and "key" personnel)... and everybody wishing to retain the clearance must re-apply.

This bill is nothing more than those clowns protecting their crony monopoly on cushy jobs post-government.

Sep 13, 2013
Left field
He was discussing the idea that security clearances shouldn't be for life and he was discussing it in terms of the recent move by Trump to remove security clearances from several people that were NOT elected officials. You are wrong Pokey. Just leave it.
I will just have to disagree. Whatever

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
There are different levels of clearance, & yes, they're worth $$ to people. I'll let you look it up.
So you don’t have a clue as to what you were originally referring to in regards to the current conversation.

Someone working as a contractor with security clearance is completely different than what these former heads of agencies are doing. You know the ones Trump has already or is in the process of taking clearances away from for strictly political reasons.