Better start looking for a Sept 3rd opponent...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We could replace them with Arkansas and that would be awesome. This is cray cray of conferences to cancel non-con games already...we have declining deaths nationwide and the Big 10's area peak already past. Silly stuff IMHO.

Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
We could replace them with Arkansas and that would be awesome. This is cray cray of conferences to cancel non-con games already...we have declining deaths nationwide and the Big 10's area peak already past. Silly stuff IMHO.
i think part of it is a financial decision. The testing required is going to be expensive. In addition to a big payout would OSU help Western IL and Tulsa with testing costs required to play?? I say just try to get through the conference games where you could revenue share etc...

Jun 12, 2007
Two states have decreasing COVID cases right now, New Hampshire and Vermont. Cases in Tulsa are exploding right now. Norman and Stillwater now have mandatory mask requirements. States are breaking records every day on their numbers of infections. Our country is now at 135,000 deaths and climbing. Texas and Arizona are hot spots right now, two places where Big 12 bowls take place. To say this is silly stuff is cray cray as you put it.

Feb 18, 2009
No college football this year....mark it down. And likely no sports at all. The next steps will be how many colleges will drop non revenue sports altogether? And then, how many colleges will go under due to low overall budgets in the first place.
Stanford dropped 11 sports. But they were carrying 36!

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Wouldn't it be ironic if Chuba kicked up all that dust threatening to never play here again, then he never gets to play here again?

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Are you guys really expecting college players, coaches and staff (maybe 200 people) to stay in 130 different quarantine NBA type bubbles across the country from basically now until potentially January and still travel to play other schools?

I don't see how this works logically or logistically.

I'm also assuming Talladega type attendance? 5000 or so at a game?

That might be an improvement for Kansas :D

Jul 31, 2004
Watauga, TX
The UIL , for HS sports, in Texas has kicked around the idea of switching fall and spring sports. I could see college doing something similar with football being moved to the spring. Curious how all this will affect basketball.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Are you guys really expecting college players, coaches and staff (maybe 200 people) to stay in 130 different quarantine NBA type bubbles across the country from basically now until potentially January and still travel to play other schools?

I don't see how this works logically or logistically.

I'm also assuming Talladega type attendance? 5000 or so at a game?

That might be an improvement for Kansas :D
Since that hasn't been the plan here, I'll guess the answer is no.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
I'm curious if they end up dropping the nonconference games if they'll start playing Conference games the first weekend in September and try to space them out to having 2 weeks between games.

I could see that making some sense. You would need 16 weeks to do that 100%. You have 13 weeks to work with from Sept 5th through end of November. So you could almost make that work.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Two states have decreasing COVID cases right now, New Hampshire and Vermont. Cases in Tulsa are exploding right now. Norman and Stillwater now have mandatory mask requirements. States are breaking records every day on their numbers of infections. Our country is now at 135,000 deaths and climbing. Texas and Arizona are hot spots right now, two places where Big 12 bowls take place. To say this is silly stuff is cray cray as you put it.
What is the death rate per case? What are the number of test? What age are the people that are testing positive? How deadly is the virus? How does this compare to past pandemics? These are all questions you have to look at not just case numbers...those are going to climb as we test more. “Exploding” is an emotional word to describe a manageable situation.
BTW...
In Tulsa death rates are down over the 14 day period with it's peak being on June 1.
As of 7/9 in Tulsa new cases were down from 266 on 7/6 to 206 on 7/7 to 122 on 7/8.
Recoveries are up by 4.8% in Tulsa on 7/9
Active cases are down by 4.2% in Tulsa on 7/9
However, Hospitalizations are indeed up and we need to get that under control, but I have no doubt that we will as length of stay seems to be dropping due to new patients being younger and discharged quicker on average.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
"Data indicates that the novel coronavirus is less fatal among young patients than older ones. But it is certainly possible for college athletes to die from it, and some already have. COVID-19’s mortality rate for those in the 15-24 age bracket is 0.121 percent, according to data compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from February 1 through June 17. If that data is accurate, it suggests around one in 1,000 college-aged people with the virus will die. But there are 30,000 Division I college football players, including about 14,000 at the 130 FBS schools. If bringing college football back causes a few thousand players to get COVID-19—and bringing players back to campus has already caused a few hundred to get it—it’s statistically likely that some players will die.

And merely citing mortality rates may undersell the danger of the situation. For one, some football players could be more vulnerable than the average young person. The CDC lists having a body mass index over 30 as a risk factor for severe illness from COVID. The average college football lineman has a BMI of 36, leading some to worry that offensive linemen may be at especially high risk. And though we don’t yet know the long-term effects of the virus, there’s growing evidence that people can have severe respiratory damage even after they’ve recovered."

https://www.theringer.com/2020/7/10...son-coronavirus-players-coaches-tipping-point

Seemed pertinent to the discussion.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Nov 14, 2010
What is the death rate per case? What are the number of test? What age are the people that are testing positive? How deadly is the virus? How does this compare to past pandemics? These are all questions you have to look at not just case numbers...those are going to climb as we test more. “Exploding” is an emotional word to describe a manageable situation.
Tulsa County reports right at 10% of new cases becoming hospitalized

With the current 600 or so new cases a day, that's adding 60 hospitilizations a day.

Hospitializations lag a couple weeks from new cases and deaths lag another couple weeks from that.

So...we wont really know the largest impact of this new spike for a while in terms of deaths.

Now....
Thats without having any kind of super spreader event like....
Schools being open and football games or any other such mass gatherings.

If you allow football games to take place, how can you justify not allowing all the other type of super spreader events that have been cancelled?

The reason Oklahoma was in such good shape from a hospital bed count back in March was because they converted the dorms at OSU and OU into hospital rooms.
Plus....we hadn't seen our spike yet.

Our new cases are 10x higher now than they were then.

Take those dorms away, add 10x the amount of new cases per day, about 1000 super spreader events a day with schools, then add 200,000 people at football events on the weekend and the simple math shows how disastrous our hospital situation would quickly become.

The fact that so many people have such a Cavalier attitude towards this thing is why we wasted the entire Spring and early Summer and now are in the biggest cluster yet with this thing.

Basically, Seniors lost their spring events, basketball teams lost their State Tournaments, we lost the NCAA basketball Tournament etc.... all for people to spit in the face of that by not taking this thing serious and doing what needed to be done to make this Fall as safe as can be.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Tulsa County reports right at 10% of new cases becoming hospitalized

With the current 600 or so new cases a day, that's adding 60 hospitilizations a day.

Hospitializations lag a couple weeks from new cases and deaths lag another couple weeks from that.

So...we wont really know the largest impact of this new spike for a while in terms of deaths.

Now....
Thats without having any kind of super spreader event like....
Schools being open
Football games

The reason Oklahoma was in such good shape from a hospital bed count back in March was because they converted the dorms at OSU and OU into hopital rooms.
Plus....we hadnt seen our spike yet.

Our new cases are 10x higher now than they were then.

Take those dorms away, add about 1000 super spreader events a day with schools, then add 200,000 people at football events on the weekend and the simple math shows how disastrous our hospital situation would quickly become.
The second statement in this post is totally incorrect...maybe that's a statewide number, but we are NOT adding 600 new cases a day in Tulsa unless their numbers on the Tulsa County Health site are incorrect. We are adding about 200 a day and only added 122 on the last day they posted 7/8.

btw, the biggest "super spreader" events were the protest and riots...and then add the little trump rally. In none of those "events" were people wearing mask which would be REQUIRED at football games and in class school.

I work at a Tulsa hospital, the reason we were in such good shape had NOTHING to do with plans to convert beds in dorms in towns like Norman or Stillwater...it's because we totally overreacted and stopped doing all other "non-urgent" care. My friend who does heart caths went from doing two a day to about two a week. We were like a ghost town and the news media hyped it like it was end of the world. We were in EXCELLENT shape in terms of beds because we closed up shop to EVERYONE except Covid and had VERY little patient load. It was like a holiday weekend for a full month.

Please stop reading the fear based drama filled media...it's inaccurate and designed to do exactly what is it doing...Scare the crap out of the masses, stop the flow of normal society, and, I believe, purposely disrupt the economy to impact world events like elections and so on.

Bottom line, Covid-19 is not the first pandemic to threaten and strike the world and the USA, nor will it be the last. Are we going to shut our society down each time with drastic effects on the economy, business, trade, and free flow of people every time we have one? OR are we just going to do it in election years? Honesty, this is a serious question to ponder and plan for in the future...because these types of events in our past have rarely IF ever impacted our society as this one has, some of it legitimate and some of it hype. We need to continue to be free, the American trend toward safety based totalitarianism is very concerning.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
The second statement in this post is totally incorrect...maybe that's a statewide number, but we are NOT adding 600 new cases a day in Tulsa unless their numbers on the Tulsa County Health site are incorrect. We are adding about 200 a day and only added 122 on the last day they posted 7/8.

btw, the biggest "super spreader" events were the protest and riots...and then add the little trump rally. In none of those "events" were people wearing mask which would be REQUIRED at football games and in class school.

I work at a Tulsa hospital, the reason we were in such good shape had NOTHING to do with plans to convert beds in dorms in towns like Norman or Stillwater...it's because we totally overreacted and stopped doing all other "non-urgent" care. My friend who does heart caths went from doing two a day to about two a week. We were like a ghost town and the news media hyped it like it was end of the world. We were in EXCELLENT shape in terms of beds because we closed up shop to EVERYONE except Covid and had VERY little patient load. It was like a holiday weekend for a full month.

Please stop reading the fear based drama filled media...it's inaccurate and designed to do exactly what is it doing...Scare the crap out of the masses.
Obviously the 600 cases a day is a statewide number and is 100% correct.

The % of hospitilizations in Tulsa is 100% correct information as is the rest of the numbers in my post.

Its used to show what the numbers say will happen if we follow on the course of reopening schools, super spreader events etc...

And.....
If you think 5-18 year olds are going to wear masks all day in school, then you're not in touch with reality.

Hell....we cant even get their parents to wear a mask for 30 minutes to go into Wal Mart.

Nothing I posted is drama....

Its all statistical information based on facts that are 100% accurate

And....
I'm not disputing that not doing elective surgery helped.

That bought us the the time we needed to add 1000's of potential hospital rooms by making the dorms available to Covid patients.

That is a huge reason why elective surgeries were allowed to resume almost immediately after the rooms at OSU and OU were finished being converted

Because, after that was done, after adding all those rooms, they had enough rooms to place elective surgery patients in hospitals without fear of rumning out of rooms.

Last edited: