Beto: Living Near Work Is A "Right For Everyone"

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke now claims you have a “right” to live near your job.

“Living close to work shouldn't be a luxury for the rich,” the former Texas congressman tweeted Monday. “It's a right for everyone.”

O’Rourke didn’t explain how it’s a right – or if he considers it a constitutional or a human right. But in a video posted on Twitter, the Democrat argued that living closer to one’s work would not only “reduce our impact on climate change and greenhouse emissions” but would also “improve the quality of life” for people.
In the video, O’Rourke claimed “we force lower-income working Americans to drive one, two, three hours in either direction to get to their jobs, very often minimum wage jobs. They’re working two or three of them right now.”

“Rich people are going to have to allow -- or be forced to allow -- lower-income people to live near them,” he said.

I realize he's desparate, but man, he's literally moved on to his last statement.

Seriously? "Be forced to allow"?????

Try that, genius. Expand upon exactly how that would work.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
I am guessing he is talking about people in NYC??? Because most people that I know in OK do not live near where they work. Unless they are on a ranch/farm.

Aug 16, 2012
I don’t want to live near my work. Will I be allowed to commute?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. The underlying charade behind his lunacy is travelling too far just to work is an environmental issue. I guess you could if you rode a bike.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I'm curious to how these people found minimum wage jobs 3 hrs from where they live... Did they just decide to make a day trip out of filing out job apps??

When politicians (or anyone for that matter) make bold and ridiculous claims like this to the public, I feel like there should be some type of requirement to also share where the hell they found the data that remotely backs up what they're claiming...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
I'm curious to how these people found minimum wage jobs 3 hrs from where they live... Did they just decide to make a day trip out of filing out job apps??

When politicians (or anyone for that matter) make bold and ridiculous claims like this to the public, I feel like there should be some type of requirement to also share where the hell they found the data that remotely backs up what they're claiming...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Public transit systems in some areas...had an employee that looked into taking the bus from where she lived in North Houston to our office on the Westside, it would have been 2:30-3 hours.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Public transit systems in some areas...had an employee that looked into taking the bus from where she lived in North Houston to our office on the Westside, it would have been 2:30-3 hours.
I could see public transit issues but he literally said:
we force lower-income working Americans to drive one, two, three hours in either direction to get to their jobs, very often minimum wage jobs
Where are people DRIVING up to 3 hours ONE WAYfor a minimum wage job?? I also fail to see how "we" are "forcing" anyone to work at any business that's up to 3 hrs from where they live.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I could see public transit issues but he literally said:

Where are people DRIVING up to 3 hours ONE WAYfor a minimum wage job?? I also fail to see how "we" are "forcing" anyone to work at any business that's up to 3 hrs from where they live.
He's also making this claim at a time where unemployment's at historic lows & employers can't find people to fill open positions.