Best TV Brand

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Anybody got any suggestions?

I'm looking to upgrade from my 4:3 TV. Yes, I still have a box-style TV.

I've heard Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, and Phillips were good but don't know which is best or if there are other ones I should look at.

For now I'm probably going to go with a 26" or 32" with 120 Hz and 720P.

I'm eventually looking to get a BIG (55" to 60" LED) one too, but right now the smaller one will work for school and can eventually be moved to a bedroom when I get a bigger one.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
I've heard the sound isn't real great on the smaller TVs and Wal-Mart is having an online special where you get a 32" Samsung and basically get a cheap surround sound system for $30. So at this time I'm leaning towards that.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Samsung, LG, and Sony are probably your top brands. The special at Wal-Mart for the 32" Samsung for under $400 is a pretty good deal. It is only 720p though but it really shouldn't matter on that size of tv.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Samsung, LG, and Sony are probably your top brands. The special at Wal-Mart for the 32" Samsung for under $400 is a pretty good deal. It is only 720p though. It really shouldn't matter on that size of tv.
Thanks for the response.

I was kind of thinking the same thing, that the 720p wouldn't matter on the smaller TV.

It is a great deal, but I really want to get a wireless surround sound system someday. But for $30 I guess I can't go wrong.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Anybody got any suggestions?

I'm looking to upgrade from my 4:3 TV. Yes, I still have a box-style TV.

I've heard Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, and Phillips were good but don't know which is best or if there are other ones I should look at.

For now I'm probably going to go with a 26" or 32" with 120 Hz and 720P.

I'm eventually looking to get a BIG (55" to 60" LED) one too, but right now the smaller one will work for school and can eventually be moved to a bedroom when I get a bigger one.
I bought a new 47" LG LCD in November 2009 and the employees I spoke to at Best Buy were very adament that Sony and Samsung were by far the leaders in the LCD television department

CNET magazine, which has professionals review of electronics agreed and their 2009 top LCD TV's were like this

Sony Bravia KDL-55xbr8
Samsung LN46a950
Samsung LN52a650
Sony Bravia KDL-52xbr6
Samsung LN46a550

However, I was not in the price range of the top 5 TV's and I got the best rated TV from User Reviews and CNet that I could afford. a 47" LG....and it has been Great...My Brother in Law ended up buying one too and he loves his....my father in law decided to take a shot on a Panasonic and it has been ok...but has some issues with the picture quality at some angles and brightness.

If your on a budget the LG's are a Great buy for the money and very good quality...if you can afford to spend a little more (mainly for the large one you buy later) check out the Samsung and Sony's.

But I would highly recommend checking out CNet.com and reading the reviews they have on any electronics before purchasing it. They have always had straight forward reviews and aren't afraid to tell you whats wrong with a product if they don't like it

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
Hey, if anyone can find a good tv without the glossy bezel, I would also appreciate the help.
I think Sony makes a few with a matte finish frame. It's been a while since I've actually looked at them in the store though.

As far as the OP's question goes, I would go with a 32" over the 26". 720p will be perfect for that size. In my opinion, Sony, Samsung, and Sharp make the best LCDs. Panasonic is known more for their plasmas. The Philips LCDs I've seen always seem to look washed out. I haven't done much research on LG, but I thought they were better know for their plasmas also.

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
I purchased a Samsung a little over a year ago and have been very pleased with it. It looks great and I have not had any issues what so ever.

NMcowboy

Its like old Mexico...but newer!
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
Wichita, KS
FWIW I have hade a 42" Vizio 1080p LCD and it is great. Had it for 2 years now and no problems...(yet? why did I have to jinx it :() Great picture, sound, 3 HDMI and 2 Component, also Optical audio output for surround.

They are a big Wal-Mart brand and probably not "top of the line" but I think they do the job without putting you out a gob of money. I would highly recommend them if you aren't looking to unload a bunch of cash, and especially if you aren't looking to buy a big-time 55", you usually can't tell the difference. I have had quite a few friends that have bought them and they did great. I also saw they are selling smaller LED-TV sets last time I was in Wally World and they look slick. I saw a 22" and a 26" for sure that were LED sets.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Vizio is not one of the top brands but I think I read that they are the #1 selling tv because of their price. For the money, they are great deals.

PokeVille

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2008
Toshiba doesn't get a lot of praise but they consistently grade well in Consumer Reports and are considered a Best Buy because their price is usually slightly lower than a High End Sony or Samsung.

It's too bad there isn't more transparency with repair/reliability statistics from electronics producers.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Toshiba doesn't get a lot of praise but they consistently grade well in Consumer Reports and are considered a Best Buy because their price is usually slightly lower than a High End Sony or Samsung.

It's too bad there isn't more transparency with repair/reliability statistics from electronics producers.
They make a top notch laptop.....some great quality in them for a very cheap price...Not sure about their TV's but their Laptop quality and Price for performance are pretty much unmatched over the last 2 years

Carneyman14

I wanna be formal, but I'm here to party
A/V Subscriber
Oct 20, 2008
Minneapolis, MN.
They make a top notch laptop.....some great quality in them for a very cheap price...Not sure about their TV's but their Laptop quality and Price for performance are pretty much unmatched over the last 2 years
They make a good tv. or at least they did. I have an old monster tv I probably got 10 years ago and it still in great shape. It probably weighs like 100+ lbs

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Does anyone have the Sharp Quattron or researched it much?
Here is CNET's review from August 2nd 2010 for Sharp TV's

They rate on a scale of 0-5...Keep in mind that 3 stars is a "Good" rating from them..and 3 1/2 stars are "VERY Good" rating..anything in the 4-5 star range are going to be things they consider GREAT or PERFECT products..at a quick glance the Sharps seem to mostly be in the 3 range or "Good"

..the ones with the red stars are the editors ratings on the product and you can read their review for each TV they tested in the "Bottom Line" section on each TV.

http://reviews.cnet.com/tvs/?filter=1000036_3808780_500961_113205_&tag=mncol;srt&rpp=50

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
The CNet reviews are great, but I read something on there that has me a little concerned.

If the TV has video input available all the way up to 1080i, but the video output is 720p, then what happens with PS3s and Blu-Ray players (I think both run on 1080p, one step above 1080i)?

Are they even able to play the 1080p? The TV has HDMI hookups, so I'd assume you could play those things, but are they just not HD quality or what? Does anyone know?

Sep 5, 2006
KMAF
Anyone know how Sylvania's LCDs are? I've got three old Sylvania's floating around and they are all outstanding televisions.

Panasonic is garbage in my opinion, I've had nothing but horrid experience with their products.

NMcowboy

Its like old Mexico...but newer!
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
Wichita, KS
The CNet reviews are great, but I read something on there that has me a little concerned.

If the TV has video input available all the way up to 1080i, but the video output is 720p, then what happens with PS3s and Blu-Ray players (I think both run on 1080p, one step above 1080i)?

Are they even able to play the 1080p? The TV has HDMI hookups, so I'd assume you could play those things, but are they just not HD quality or what? Does anyone know?
A 720p TV will just output 720p. You will have to change your settings on the PS3 to output 720p. Not a difficult process but it will lower the resolution. Many games are only 720p anyways, so it won't matter.

On the question of HD or SD, 720p is high-definition, but not "full HD", 1080p is currently "Full High-Definition"

okstateguy987

Teamo Supremo
May 7, 2007
Uh...I don't know where you're getting this. I don't know, maybe it's changed a lot in the last two years, but everyone I've known with a Toshiba laptop has had it break on them in some form or another. They're generally pieces of crap, hardware-wise.

But, like I said, maybe they've decided to rectify themselves over the last two years. That would be a plus.