Bedlam Baseball--minimal TV coverage

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Not at all. We’re almost locked in as a Top 16. Win the BU series and a game or two in the tournament and we’ll probably be top 8.
Boyd’s shows us in the top 16 with this Win. It predicts us in the top 8 with a sweep of Baylor.
I honestly think 2 wins will do it for top 8. One I think locks in a regional. 2 100% locks the regional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Has Navigato been this error-prone at SS all season? I have to believe we have a better glove than that on the bench, could always let him DH. I feel like he's cost us a couple of games lately. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Feb 4, 2016
florida
If they can just clean up the little stuff. They can go a long way.

Unfortunely baseball is ALL little stuff. Catching the ball, moving the runners over, bunting, limiting the strikeouts, when to take the extra base and when not too. I think we are what we are at this point. It's time to accept that we will live and die with the long ball. Pitching is either lights out or we cant throw a strike. Time to strap yourself in and enjoy the ride.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Has Navigato been this error-prone at SS all season? I have to believe we have a better glove than that on the bench, could always let him DH. I feel like he's cost us a couple of games lately. Correct me if I'm wrong.
He has definitely had a rough week but he has played a good short this season. Hewitt played early but really struggled in the field.

I definitely understand why you would say that, but I’m hoping he shakes it off.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
If they can just clean up the little stuff. They can go a long way.

Unfortunely baseball is ALL little stuff. Catching the ball, moving the runners over, bunting, limiting the strikeouts, when to take the extra base and when not too. I think we are what we are at this point. It's time to accept that we will live and die with the long ball. Pitching is either lights out or we cant throw a strike. Time to strap yourself in and enjoy the ride.
Yeah I agree. But I think there can still be some improvement especially in cutting back on some errors and the walks. The strike outs is a lost cause but At the same time they can strike quick with the long ball

Chairman of the Board

Territorial Marshal
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Navigato has 13 errors this season. You’d like for your SS to have less than 10. He also makes some spectacular plays, but I wish he’d be more consistent.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Navigato has 13 errors this season. You’d like for your SS to have less than 10. He also makes some spectacular plays, but I wish he’d be more consistent.
Not that it makes a difference but probably 2-3 are at third. But that still means in less than a full season he already has double digits at ss.

Chairman of the Board

Territorial Marshal
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Pokes are currently #11 in Warren Nolan’s RPI. I think we need to win 2 more game to be sure we host (between BU and conference tournament). Tech and Baylor are almost shoe ins because of their conference record. The Big 12 deserves three, but you know the SEC will get their share.

Tennessee is 12-15 in league play but one spot ahead of us in the RPI.

Aug 1, 2008
That's what I've been saying for the past month. Let's get it on Pokes!!! Hammer down!!!!

Chairman of the Board

Territorial Marshal
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I think you’re right to a point. We’re not gonna lay down bunts and we’re not going to only strike out two or three times a game. That’s okay. But this team is talented enough and has shown at times that it can make a pitcher work, play solid defense, and fill up the strike zone. But sometimes they also swing blindly, boot easy plays, and lose contact with the strike zone. Today, when it was 4-1 and they were playing like the latter, you could see a switch turn on and then the rest of the way they out score OU 9-3. Hopefully we can find that switch more often.

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
Agreed.

I'll answer why they left Brady in. First, Leeper and Gragg were warming in the bullpen in the 8th, but Brady pitch great for the last two outs and it was a 3 run game at the time. If it would've stayed there and they were going to go with anybody in the 9th, other than Brady, it probably would've been Gragg. They seem to still be trying to fit that square peg into that round hole. But I think one thing we learned this weekend, if it was a high pressure situation they're going to Leeper. I kind of warned y'all about the bullpen shake up a while back. I think they desperately wanted Gragg to become the closer. I don't know if it was to get more innings out of Leeper, but it was a head scratcher and may not have come from Rob. Rob loves to tinker though and some times it works and he's the wizard, but others it doesn't. Back to Brady. If this team is going to make a run, they need a dominant lefty in the pen. Brady fits that bill on paper. He has great stuff and will probably be one of the highest Cowboys drafted this year, but he seems to let the head get in the way. My thought was, with a then 4 run lead, they wanted to send him out for the 9th to see if he could complete it. When he started to get into trouble, Gragg and Leeper continued to throw, but they wanted to give Basso a chance to work out of it. When he hit the first batter, no big deal. When he walked the second, I can see they felt let's give him one more. If he gets him out or induces a dbl. play, great, we stick with him. If not we've got Leeper hot and ready. Honestly, Leeper's outing the night before, I think, was one of his best of the year. He just caught some bad breaks during the 10th, the error to start the inning, they were trying to sacrifice him to 2nd and Leeper was trying to miss a bat. On the 1st pitch he did but on the 2nd pitch, well a back foot slider to a lefty hit the back foot. Then he strikes out the next 2 but a predictable 1st pitch slider to the next guy was hit. McCusker made a great throw that was easily ahead of the runner but Carter simply whiffed it. The guy never should've been on base (error) and should've been out at home. Leeper came in today and did what he had to do, shut it down and help get the Bedlam series win. But, but.... we really need Brady to get it figured out to help this team.

I know as fans it can be frustrating and as couch coaches it's crystal clear, but sometimes there's wheels turning that we just won't understand. That's just my 2 cents so fire away.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2006
Good commentary @19cowboy32 . That’s the problem with over-analyzing individual baseball decisions- it’s emotional and if you don’t understand the bigger picture, you can drive yourself nuts.

I sat listening to Billy Bean a few years back as he was explaining that he didn’t even watch the games because it would cause him to make emotional decisions. Instead he made back office decisions based on the analytics and let the coaches and players handle the in-game decisions.

As an example- I’ve seen a few situations where I was sure a runner was sent with 2 outs, 2 strikes because of who was at the plate and how he was batting. If the runner got thrown out, the batter gets a fresh at bat after having seen 5 or 6 pitches. If the runner makes it- you give yourself a better chance to score. Knowing the coaches intent is everything.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
D1 Baseball showing us some love: Oklahoma State continues its climb up the rankings, again making the week’s biggest jump. The Cowboys move up five spots after taking two of three from rival Oklahoma, one week after sweeping Oregon State on the road.

Up to #13

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Good commentary @19cowboy32 . That’s the problem with over-analyzing individual baseball decisions- it’s emotional and if you don’t understand the bigger picture, you can drive yourself nuts.

I sat listening to Billy Bean a few years back as he was explaining that he didn’t even watch the games because it would cause him to make emotional decisions. Instead he made back office decisions based on the analytics and let the coaches and players handle the in-game decisions.

As an example- I’ve seen a few situations where I was sure a runner was sent with 2 outs, 2 strikes because of who was at the plate and how he was batting. If the runner got thrown out, the batter gets a fresh at bat after having seen 5 or 6 pitches. If the runner makes it- you give yourself a better chance to score. Knowing the coaches intent is everything.
this escapes many...........

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Sorry I'm late to the thread, but if you are also catching up on the weekend, here's our Game 3 recap, as well as Game 2 and Game 1.

Here's more from game 3...

NORMAN — Hitting home runs hasn’t been a problem for Oklahoma State this season or in the Bedlam baseball series. Getting one with runners on base was the issue.
Bryce Carter solved that problem in the top of the eighth inning Sunday afternoon at Oklahoma’s L. Dale Mitchell Park. It was Carter’s three-run blast that gave the Cowboys the insurmountable cushion in the 10-7 victory and third straight Bedlam series victory over the Sooners.
“That’s the great thing about our lineup is we have so many guys that can do that,” said Carter, a graduate transfer from Stanford who made his Bedlam debut this season. “It makes us never out of the game, no matter what the situation. It was finally nice to get my name up there in the home run column. Great team win and good for us.”

The Cowboys (30-17, 12-9 Big 12) hit nine home runs over the three-game series, including solo shots from Cade Cabbiness in the second inning and Carson McCusker in the ninth on Sunday. But the first seven and the last, going back to the series opener at ONEOK Field on Friday, were the solo variety.
We also took photos of the Friday ONEOK Field game, which can be viewed here.

Finally, Guerin Emig's column Saturday focused on the OSU baseball team. Here's an excerpt:

Josh Holliday sat in his office a couple days after his Oklahoma State baseball team did something practically historic.

“Somebody said nobody had done that since 1947, go in there and sweep them in a nonconference series,” Holliday said last Wednesday morning.

Meaning, no nonconference team had swept Oregon State in Corvallis since ’47... until Holliday’s Cowboys did just that, against the No. 2-ranked team in college baseball, over three games last weekend.

So what does a coach make of history? How does he handle it?

“I think what you’re trying to show your team is your best baseball when put up against someone else’s best baseball is really good,” Holliday said. “Now, how do we duplicate that performance and focus on those things? If we can continue to do that, which I think the players understand now, you’ve got a chance to do something special with your season, right?”

Right. A coach uses a series like the one OSU played at Oregon State not to glorify the accomplishment, but to magnify what it can lead to.
Good luck in the postseason!