Baylor Thread (Big 12 Sanctions Added)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I bet they blame it all on Briles and say something like "it's unfair to punish the kids at Baylor for the actions of a coach that's no longer there". I hope I'm wrong, but I'm guessing a couple of scholarships and maybe a year or two bowl ban....basically nothing compared to the severity of what happened.

Pokes28

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 26, 2003
Carl Junction, MO
facebook.com
The main problem with any/all of this is the same thing that always happens. How many people with any level of involvement in all of this are still at Baylor? Pretty much a new BOR, a new President, new AD, new coach, and none of the kids involved are still there.

So if they were to lower the hammer, they aren't going to hurt anybody that did wrong. Not saying that the University on the whole should be allowed to escape NCAA sanctions, but who are they really going to hurt and who will benefit from it?

The NCAA mishandling of the fines to Penn State means that it is unlikely they will go much in that direction. A bowl ban is pretty much a worthless ban to a program in disarray and again, punishes people that had zero involvement in the problem, assuming they actually ever quality for a a bowl during the term of the sanctions. A reduction in scholarships is about the only thing they can do.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
The main problem with any/all of this is the same thing that always happens. How many people with any level of involvement in all of this are still at Baylor? Pretty much a new BOR, a new President, new AD, new coach, and none of the kids involved are still there.

So if they were to lower the hammer, they aren't going to hurt anybody that did wrong. Not saying that the University on the whole should be allowed to escape NCAA sanctions, but who are they really going to hurt and who will benefit from it?

The NCAA mishandling of the fines to Penn State means that it is unlikely they will go much in that direction. A bowl ban is pretty much a worthless ban to a program in disarray and again, punishes people that had zero involvement in the problem, assuming they actually ever quality for a a bowl during the term of the sanctions. A reduction in scholarships is about the only thing they can do.
But you don't want to send a signal that penalties can be avoided or significantly decreased by simply firing the coach AFTER you get caught. That would only encourage other schools to look the other way in the future.

Pokes28

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 26, 2003
Carl Junction, MO
facebook.com
But you don't want to send a signal that penalties can be avoided or significantly decreased by simply firing the coach AFTER you get caught. That would only encourage other schools to look the other way in the future.
I don't disagree. And for that reason alone, Baylor will get penalized. I'm just saying that "as always" the people that will pay the price aren't the ones that did the crime.

Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City

Did you read the article about them funneling info about the survivor groups and trying to filter what they are saying? All this stuff just recently happened. Baylor isn't learning any lessons and is still trying to cover s*** up.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I don't disagree. And for that reason alone, Baylor will get penalized. I'm just saying that "as always" the people that will pay the price aren't the ones that did the crime.
I agree with you on this. Any punishment should include provision allowing the players to transfer immediately without having to sit a year. They weren't there when it happened and there were no penalties when they decided to go there. They should get a choice.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I agree with you on this. Any punishment should include provision allowing the players to transfer immediately without having to sit a year. They weren't there when it happened and there were no penalties when they decided to go there. They should get a choice.
Problem is ALL of the coaches and players KNEW that there was going to be a punishment handed down to Baylor. No I don't give the kids or coaches a pass for knowingly choosing to attend a school that would likely have a severe NCAA punishment during their tenure there. Everyone involved with that program now knows exactly what might and very possibly would happen to them.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

This gets trotted out literally every time a penalty gets handed down, & I always say "well yeah, it's not like they're going to catch violations in real time, so of course the penalty comes later."

The institution is the common denominator here, not the players or coaches who've long gone. So yes, the institution receives the punishment & if it costs them bowl appearances, recruits, etc..., so be it.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Banned
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
After today's Ole Miss news where they were actually committing serious NCAA violations... nothing at all is going to happen to Baylor. Not a single thing.