Baylor suspending all football activities...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
With the current system we have, if one player has a false positive, you have to quarantine your entire team for 2 weeks because of 'contact tracing'.
Seems like that would depend on how you structure your practices. According to the CDC "For COVID-19, a close contact is anyone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes." For some positions you can keep players apart except for brief moments to run a play during practice. More difficult for linemen. Also may depend on how each team applies the guideline, which could get shady. "Well we ran plays for about 45 minutes, but we had everyone spread out by at least 6 ft for a couple seconds every 10 minutes, so there was no 15 minute period within close contact."

OctaviusRexLTH

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
I was honestly spit balling on that point about the OL. I do think ones injury was worse than the other one and that may result in us getting one back. Not sure which or if it was a different guy although, just saying it's a possibility that we get the OL more healthy and some guys back in the rotation would help.
No doubt, just having more bodies to keep them all fresher, reducing the risk of injury/fatigue to all of them.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
IMHO, no matter your feelings for Baylor, it's better that they canceled for us on multiple levels.

1. If they truly have an outbreak (which I think they do, and are being very, maybe overly, careful due to having a first year coach), we don't want to play them and catch it.
2. We have 3 positives ourselves and need to get those guys back...this gives us time to do that.
3. We had 48 hours off time for the first time in six weeks and need to ensure those guys are ok, this gives us time to do that as well.
4. We have at least one inured lineman who might be able to return to practice in the allotted time and another who might be out most of the season...we have a QB who needs to fully heal a bad ankle. We have another QB who has been wearing a knee brace for an old injury and maybe this gives that more time to heal as well. We need everyone healthy and this "should" enable that.
5. Them being up front is far better than hiding it.
Is it Cole Birmingham or Hunter Anthony that we'd possibly be getting back?
Gundy has kept that injury news locked away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
As much as we all want Hunter Anthony and Cole Birmingham back, it's not going to happen b/c they have injuries that are going to require surgery, if they didn't have it already. The OL deep is not there, and quite frankly we can't afford another injury, especially at tackle.

OctaviusRexLTH

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
As much as we all want Hunter Anthony and Cole Birmingham back, it's not going to happen b/c they have injuries that are going to require surgery, if they didn't have it already. The OL deep is not there, and quite frankly we can't afford another injury, especially at tackle.
Well when it happened (knowing they needed surgery) he did say it could be four weeks, or it could be 8 weeks.

when we play ISU that’ll be 5 weeks

Nov 6, 2010
Well when it happened (knowing they needed surgery) he did say it could be four weeks, or it could be 8 weeks.

And not all surgeries are created equal. Some minor thing could be well healed by then. But as much as I hope for their full return to health, I really don't want to see either of them re-installed at RT. I'd prefer to see Jenkins stay there, as that seems to be his sweet spot and our run game clicks better with him over there. Just keep giving RB/TE help to the left side, and let everyone settle in to their positions.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Is it Cole Birmingham or Hunter Anthony that we'd possibly be getting back?
I was honestly spit balling on that point about the OL. I do think ones injury was worse than the other one and that may result in us getting one back. Not sure which or if it was a different guy although, just saying it's a possibility that we get the OL more healthy and some guys back in the rotation would help.
Gundy indicated both are out fora loooong while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma

I know what he said...I also know what I know....and if you're counting on them to be back this season, you'll be disappointed. Hell even RA has said he doesn't expect them back this season. Guess what I'm trying to say is they aint coming back this season most likely.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
CONTROVERSIAL TAKE: Medical information, especially about student athletes should remain confidential unless the students announce their diagnosis themselves. We need to establish some privacy boundaries.

Hope they all get healthy soon and look forward to seeing them on the field when they are ready.

We are just fans and it's really none of our business.

This is medical information. It's not our right to know.

Feb 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
CONTROVERSIAL TAKE: Medical information, especially about student athletes should remain confidential unless the students announce their diagnosis themselves. We need to establish some privacy boundaries.

Hope they all get healthy soon and look forward to seeing them on the field when they are ready.

Does HIPPA not do that?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

This is why I have a problem with contact tracing as well. I think the point of hippa is to protect the rights of privacy of an individual, it gets wonky when your rights effect others as well. We are going to have navigate personal rights more and more as we become more and more capable of tracking and tracing. It was easier to do this when we had less technology. I still lean to protecting the rights of individuals more than the collective...but others don’t and both are understandable and also reasonable depending on the issue. I do Also think it’s pretty cut and dry with injuries though.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
This is why I have a problem with contact tracing as well. I think the point of hippa is to protect the rights of privacy of an individual, it gets wonky when your rights effect others as well. We are going to have navigate personal rights more and more as we become more and more capable of tracking and tracing. It was easier to do this when we had less technology. I still lean to protecting the rights of individuals more than the collective...but others don’t and both are understandable and also reasonable depending on the issue. I do Also think it’s pretty cut and dry with injuries though.
They how is the helth department tracking other contagious diseases like Herpes , AIDS, and Syphilis.

Last edited: