Basketball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 7, 2013
Missouri
I know that its still football season but next month basketball season will be starting and with Underwood being our new coach who's looking forward to this season.

Feb 10, 2014
Baltimore, MD
I only hope that the students are looking forward to the wrestling season. I have posted in the past how pathetically low the attendance has been for most wrestling events in Stillwater compared to how they used to be standing room only in the 1960's and early 70's. No other university has this kind of winning tradition in any sport and therefore it should be supported by the student body who probably are nursing hangovers on Sunday afternoons. I keep wondering if returning the wrestling matches to Saturday evenings would boost attendance. That way the students can go to the bars after the match.
Regardless, any Cowboy wrestling fan has to be excited about this lineup which seems to be one of the best lineups anyone has seen in several years. We don't need multiple national champs to win it all this season with all of the potential tournament points we should be able to score by guys getting into the quarter, semi and finals plus consolation matches. At this point I see only 2 weak weights but 197 was a nice surprise last season so who knows what he might do this season?
Since J Robinson now has more time on his hands, if I was John Smith I would contact J to see if he would be interested in serving as marketing consultant to help OSU find ways to really boot attendance. As a student I remember watching Robinson wrestle for OSU and he looked mediocre, there was nothing great about him but he did have some really good moves with his legs. That is why I was so surprised when he became a world champion.

Jun 21, 2006
Basketball season...anyway, I am so excited for this upcoming season. Ready for the change. Not dumping on your post, just sayin there's other threads for wrestling.

Nov 22, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
I heard something about HCBU saying they worked on nothing but defense or something like that the first two practices....Nonetheless I love the demeanor of this guy so far and I think Oklahoma State is about to win a bunch of basketball games. I'm keeping expectations in check during year 1...but I'm very excited and it's time for the fans to back up the talk of filling GIA back up with Ford out.

Feb 7, 2013
Missouri
I heard something about HCBU saying they worked on nothing but defense or something like that the first two practices....Nonetheless I love the demeanor of this guy so far and I think Oklahoma State is about to win a bunch of basketball games. I'm keeping expectations in check during year 1...but I'm very excited and it's time for the fans to back up the talk of filling GIA back up with Ford out.
You are right, when he got hired one of the things he noticed was there was no defense and he wanted to make sure defense was a priority on his team not only that he stated that defense win games, seem to me he's more of a defensive guy than offense. On a side note I thought we ban the name ford on here.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Im extremely excited to see the team and coach underwood this year. I know we probably wont be good enough to likely make the tourney but what I want to see is us getting better at the fundamentals like rebounding position.
Why could't we make the dance? If Ford could do it then Underwood can definitely do it.

Jan 5, 2015
Texas
Starting to get a little worried about our 2017 basketball class. We've missed out on a lot of kids so far, but Brad definitely had a late start with most of those kids.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
Why could't we make the dance? If Ford could do it then Underwood can definitely do it.
I'm not a basketball guy, but OSU has the best point guard and best shooter in the Big 12. I know they're small, but I don't know why anyone would pick them to not make the tournament.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Starting to get a little worried about our 2017 basketball class. We've missed out on a lot of kids so far, but Brad definitely had a late start with most of those kids.
Dawson is a really solid start. And we're still in on a bunch of highly rated guys. The highly rated guys usually wait til a little later in the process to make a decision. The staff Underwood put together are proven to be great recruiters, have faith.

Jan 5, 2015
Texas
Dawson is a really solid start. And we're still in on a bunch of highly rated guys. The highly rated guys usually wait til a little later in the process to make a decision. The staff Underwood put together are proven to be great recruiters, have faith.
I would be pretty shocked if Sexton or Young committed here. Sexton said he was considering OSU because Jawun is going pro, which would also be pretty surprising (he's not viewed as a great pro prospect so far, and it's a super deep class). Outside of that, Sidibe is visiting, which would be a nice get. Lot of smoke that Shuler is heading to Ole Miss. We're in the top 10 or 12 for Nwora, but I think we have a lot of ground to make up there. After those guys, we're definitely looking at Plan B guys. And a lot of the top ranked players have committed...I think around 60 of the top 100 (247rankings) have already committed.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
I would be pretty shocked if Sexton or Young committed here. Sexton said he was considering OSU because Jawun is going pro, which would also be pretty surprising (he's not viewed as a great pro prospect so far, and it's a super deep class). Outside of that, Sidibe is visiting, which would be a nice get. Lot of smoke that Shuler is heading to Ole Miss. We're in the top 10 or 12 for Nwora, but I think we have a lot of ground to make up there. After those guys, we're definitely looking at Plan B guys. And a lot of the top ranked players have committed...I think around 60 of the top 100 (247rankings) have already committed.
We're still in on Brandon Rachel and Keith Williams also, they're both fringe 150 type guys. I dont expect to have a super highly rated class in Underwood's first year. But even still, I think he will end up with a solid class. With that said, I also trust him to develop players better than the previous coach.

And I also love the fact that he's offering kids for 2018 already, his next couple years in recruiting could be massive, especially if we win a lot this next year.

RedRoss

Joe Rugby
A/V Subscriber
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I don't know that I'll ever expect Underwood to have extremely highly rated classes, but I know that they will win games. He'll get some top 100 guys like Eddie used to do but I think he'll recruit pieces that fit more than anything. Similar to Kruger at ou.

Last edited:

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
I don't know that I'll ever expect Underwood to have extremely highly rated classes, but I know that they will win games. He'll get some top 100 guys like Eddie used to due but I think he'll recruit pieces that fit more than anything. Similar to Kruger at ou.
Disagree. Lamont Evans is a helluva a recruiter. He pulled in top 25 classes at South Carolina, who doesn't have a fraction of the facilities, fanbase, and history that we do.

RedRoss

Joe Rugby
A/V Subscriber
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Disagree. Lamont Evans is a helluva a recruiter. He pulled in top 25 classes at South Carolina, who doesn't have a fraction of the facilities, fanbase, and history that we do.
He had 1 top 25 class. And I doubt it was consensus either. Also, to me, top 25 to me isn't "extremely" highly rated, which is what I said. Eddie had top 25 classes at OSU too but rarely got top rated players at their position and even in the nation like Ford could do at times. I said he'd have similar classes to Eddie and I stand by it.

Edit: I guess USC got a McD AA last year and another couple top 50 guys while Evans was there and I suspect that will happen at OSU too but by no means do I think they'll have better recruiting rankings while at OSU then we did when Ford was coach, but I also think and know we will be better as a program. Which is all that matters to me.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Basketball is a team game. The best pg gives you a chance to compete. It doesn't guarantee you a walk into the NCAA tourney. It's not fair to Coach Underwood and the team to have such lofty expectations. Especially when they aren't warranted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk