BASKETBALL TIDBITS

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Mark Cooper...

Center Lucas N’Guessan has requested his release and will seek to transfer from Oklahoma State, sources have told the Tulsa World.

A 7-foot junior from De Lier, Netherlands, N’Guessan was a late addition before the 2015-16 season, Brad Underwood’s only year at OSU. He played sparingly over the past two seasons, serving mostly as post depth.
Link

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mark_cooperjr/status/1012795685287100417[/tweet]

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Our intern Alec McChesney with an update on OSU basketball...

STILLWATER — For most college basketball teams, official practices don’t start until the beginning of October, halfway through the fall semester. The Oklahoma State men’s basketball team, on the other hand, has a leg up on its competition this year thanks to the European tour the team will take in August.

Second-year head coach Mike Boynton benefits from the tour, which will take his team to Venice, Rome and Athens, with 10 practices to prepare for the trip. The practices give Boynton a chance to work with his brand new team which features just three players who logged minutes in 2017, along with five freshmen.

“These practices are unbelievably valuable,” Boynton said after the second practice Tuesday. “Starting this now and not Oct. 3 is something that we will really value later on in the season.”

The tour, which begins on Aug. 5, will be the first time that many of the players don a Cowboy jersey. Thomas Dziagwa, Cameron McGriff and Lindy Waters III are the only scholarship players who have played for OSU. These practices, Boynton said, are even more important for the players and the coaching staff than the games will be.
Link

You can follow Alec at @Alec_McChesney

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Mark Cooper...

Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday could provide two of the most fascinating matchups on Oklahoma State’s 2018-19 schedule.

The Cowboys will play Memphis, with first-year coach Penny Hardaway, on Thanksgiving in the opening round of the AdvoCare Invitational in Orlando, Florida, according to the bracket released on Wednesday.

All games take place at the HP Fieldhouse in the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

Oklahoma State and Memphis met in the finals of the 2013 AdvoCare Invitational, a game the Tigers won 73-68. Oklahoma State leads the overall series 5-3, including a win at Memphis in 2014.
Link

Oct 14, 2004
Houston
We have 4 that are 6-8 and taller and all of them are freshmen----not a good place to be in. Hopefully we'll never be in this situation again. The highest ranked player of the 4 was the 6-10 Yor Anoi. He was ranked in the 250's. (247 )

LakeCowboy

1945 National Champions
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
We have 4 that are 6-8 and taller and all of them are freshmen----not a good place to be in. Hopefully we'll never be in this situation again. The highest ranked player of the 4 was the 6-10 Yor Anoi. He was ranked in the 250's. (247 )
Kentrevious Jones is the best big man of the bunch and he's going to be a stud. We're lucky he got out of his LOI w/ Xavier.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa

So everyone used to be pissed that TF could never recruit a big man. Are we now upset that we have 4 Freshman 6-8 and taller and a coach that can develop them?

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Kentrevious Jones is the best big man of the bunch and he's going to be a stud. We're lucky he got out of his LOI w/ Xavier.
Jones will be better than Big Country as a freshman. I don’t know how he will end up long term but I really like what I see from him.

I also think Likelike will be 85-90% as good as Marcus Smart. This is the most excited I have been about the basketball team since 2005, which ended up being a bit of a letdown.

Oct 30, 2007

So everyone used to be pissed that TF could never recruit a big man. Are we now upset that we have 4 Freshman 6-8 and taller and a coach that can develop them?
Wow, this is a very very very good place to be! Good players ready to be developed into great, great coach, great effort! What will these 4 freshman be in two years?!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Jones will be better than Big Country as a freshman. I don’t know how he will end up long term but I really like what I see from him.

I also think Likelike will be 85-90% as good as Marcus Smart. This is the most excited I have been about the basketball team since 2005, which ended up being a bit of a letdown.
Marcus Smart was a borderline Naismith candidate as a Freshman. 85-90% is a bold claim.

What leads you to believe he'll be that good?

I'm not saying you're wrong (I obviously hope you're right). I'm just curious.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Marcus Smart was a borderline Naismith candidate as a Freshman. 85-90% is a bold claim.

What leads you to believe he'll be that good?

I'm not saying you're wrong (I obviously hope you're right). I'm just curious.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
I thought think Likelike is more compatible to a young Tony Allen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I don't know how good he may be, but this report from the DOK has me excited too...

STILLWATER — Among the freshman during practice, Isaac Likekele stands out.

His boisterous voice echoes throughout Gallagher-Iba Arena during drills. He is always shouting defensive commands and expressing vivid emotion. A freshman from Mansfield, Texas, Likekele isn't afraid of the leadership role on Oklahoma State's basketball team.

“He's the one guy who embraces that,” coach Mike Boynton said. “It's hard a lot of times for young guys to want that because they don't understand that it's important, but he's a winner.”

The pre-Europe-trip practices have been a learning curve for every Cowboy freshman, yet Likekele has embraced the new setting and role while learning what it takes to become a college basketball player.

He said he has spent a lot of time breaking down film with video coordinator Dre Denbow while staying late to practice free throws and get shots up.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Fyi - just posted a gallery of photos from Monday's practice. Here's a link.

As previously noted, the team will have 10 extra practices this summer because of next month's European tour:

“These practices are unbelievably valuable,” Boynton said after the second practice Tuesday. “Starting this now and not Oct. 3 is something that we will really value later on in the season.”
Also of basketball note:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mark_cooperjr/status/1021777008223813632[/tweet]