BASKETBALL TIDBITS

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 21, 2008
1) 2018-19 is the 15 yr anniversary of our 2003-04 Final Four run that ended with a 2 pt loss to Georgia Tech and Luke Schenscher (ugh!)
3FEC35F0-9956-493B-B354-E814288D7C99.png

Would love to see these men & the Cool Chicks Wear Orange back in GIA!!!!

2) We need an all-in #PutEddieIn HOF campaign. Campus and state wide. Make T-shirt’s, banners and social media posts. Put it on our practice gear. Have HCMB mention it in interviews & media days. He is getting very frail and doesn’t appear to have much time left. I worked many practices watching that legend work and we need to exhaust every effort to get him in. Not the occasional tweet after he misses the vote again. It would be a travesty if it’s post humously. We owe it to him for rising our expectations and achievements to that championship level!

3) OSU men’s basketball tweeted out John Starks’ monster dunk from the early 90s. Guys like this we need to get back in GIA! I love the tradition & nostalgia of seeing these legends! Let’s make Gallagher Iba the 8th Wonder of the World again and keep her awake!!!

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Oklahoma State coach Mike Boynton continues to bulk up the Cowboys' nonconference schedule a year after it was a reason his team missed the NCAA Tournament.

Oklahoma State will play Nebraska in a neutral-site nonconference game at the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, college basketball insider Jon Rothstein reported Monday.

It's the second time in four years OSU will go to South Dakota for a game. The Cowboys defeated Minnesota there in December 2015.

The matchup with Nebraska pits two teams that played in the NIT this past season. The Cornhuskers went 22-11 under Tim Miles in 2017-18.
Link

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
2) We need an all-in #PutEddieIn HOF campaign. Campus and state wide. Make T-shirt’s, banners and social media posts. Put it on our practice gear. Have HCMB mention it in interviews & media days. He is getting very frail and doesn’t appear to have much time left. I worked many practices watching that legend work and we need to exhaust every effort to get him in. Not the occasional tweet after he misses the vote again. It would be a travesty if it’s post humously. We owe it to him for rising our expectations and achievements to that championship level!
This is in the works and should be promoted.
https://www.eddiesuttonfilm.com/

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Thanks for the updates @TulsaWorld. Are we getting a return game for this? Seems very odd to play a team like Nebraska in an area devoid of talent and far from our fan base like South Dakota.
Thanks for the question. I asked Mark Cooper and he said that he didn't think there would be a return date because Oklahoma State also played in Sioux Falls against Minnesota a few years ago without a return date.

Dec 21, 2008
And I’ve been following the documentary production thus far. I’m just saying with that momentum we need to do MORE! Besides people in Oklahoma and a few dozen in AR and KY not many people care what he did or why he is not in the HOF. We have let him down for over a decade now. Besides the name on court and standing ovations, I know we can do more! He does not have much time left and it breaks a lot of people’s hearts that he is not in. Every damn opportunity we get we need to get his name in the spotlight. Twitter. T-shirt’s. Banner outside GIA. Statue. We must do MORE!!

He is part of our family and is the reason we get on this board and gripe about basketball success. He is the reason we camped out an entire week to go to a game. He is the reason we went to 2 Final Fours with him. 2 pts away from a Final.

I hate complacency and I hate the lack of our marketing at times (wrestling, no Barry Sanders statue, Eddie not being in the HOF without much mention from our school etc)

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
I 100% agree with no Barry Bronze, and I gave $ to the Eddie doc. but money for a lot of things has to be raised out of the Athletic Dept. That means a major Donner or in your case a smaller one on a mission - good luck with your mission, I'll give what I can when I see the legal setup

Go Pokes

Dec 21, 2008
Some sculptor would do it for free to have their name attached to it forever. We prioritize one thing at a time (tennis, track, soccer, baseball,) hopefully Eddie is next!!

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Kelvin Sampson is coming to Gallagher-Iba Arena.

Oklahoma State announced on Tuesday plans to host Houston in the first half of a home-and-home series on Dec. 8. The Cowboys will travel to Houston’s Fertitta Center — which opens this year — in 2019-20.

It’s one of a handful of games Mike Boynton has scheduled to bulk up OSU’s nonconference strength of schedule. The Cougars won 27 games last season and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament, losing to eventual NCAA runner-up Michigan on a buzzer beater.
Link

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
College of Charleston won the Colonial Athletic Association last season while winning 25-plus games for the second year in a row.

Its RPI: 57, a respectable number for a mid-major.

Oklahoma State has added the Cougars in its latest attempt to build a difficult, rewarding nonconference schedule.
Link

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Mark Cooper talked to Jeffery Carroll ahead of Thursday's NBA Draft...

Carroll left New York on June 6. Two days later, he worked out for the Boston Celtics. Two days later, the Orlando Magic.

Then Dallas. Then Los Angeles, where he posed for a photo with Magic Johnson.

San Antonio. Golden State. From June 4-18, Carroll worked out for eight NBA teams in six states. Throw in earlier workouts with the Brooklyn Nets, Oklahoma City Thunder and Houston Rockets, and the former Oklahoma State guard completed 11 team workouts in a two-month span.

He left his last workout with the Warriors on Monday and returned home to Rowlett, Texas, where he’ll gather with family and close friends in hopes of seeing his name flash across the screen in Thursday’s NBA draft.

“It’s obviously been a blessing,” Carroll said. “It’s just kind of surreal that I’m pretty close to achieving my goal.”
Link

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Excerpt from Guerin Emig's latest column...

Fifteen months ago Mike Holder lost a basketball coach fans were falling in love with, and barbarians were at the gate of Boone Pickens Stadium wondering if it was time for the athletic director to go as well.

I began a column with the line: “If Mike Holder has broken Oklahoma State basketball, as many as you seem to believe, he can still fix it.”

Unbeknownst to all of us, he was about to fix it. He was about to embark on a year he would fix a lot of things.

Holder promoted Mike Boynton to replace Brad Underwood as basketball coach, and fans discovered him to be a more genuine, confident breath of fresher air than the man who fled to Illinois.

Holder gave Boynton a new contract last March, around the same time he unveiled a long-anticipated renovation project for OSU’s Allie P. Reynolds Stadium. May arrived and Holder walked Karsten Creek like a proud papa as the Cowboys rolled to an equally-anticipated national golf championship.
Link

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
A renovation project for Allie P, huh? I must have missed that announcement.
From March...

The administration’s crowning moment came in the tennis center Thursday, when it unveiled renderings and details for a $60 million baseball stadium that will replace the nearly 40-year-old Allie P. Reynolds Stadium in 2020. Jim Hasenbeck, one of the architects of the facility, briefed the crowd in attendance on its various features — many of which will make the still-unnamed stadium one of the best and most unique in the sport.

There’s a 360-degree concourse, meant to allow fans to view the game from any vantage point.

There’s the distinctive batter’s eye made of a dark glass that won’t cause glare issues but will allow fans to look directly from dead-center field toward home plate. And there are the various amenities inside the clubhouse and indoor facility that should make recruits swoon.

But the process for building a new stadium has never been easy, all the way until the end.
Link