Basketball Team Expectations

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
We just looked stagnant all year. Lazy passes around the perimeter. Slow dump passes inside when post was not in position to do anything but catch it moving away from the bucket. Inconsistent lobs. We were definitely a momentum following team. Make a couple shots we look like a top 25 team at times. Miss several and give up a 10-0 run we look like the cellar dwellers.

Its been mentioned Lindy’s dad posted about double plantar fasciaitis. That would make sense because something was off
No doubt. I was criticised by some when I was questioning our offense in the nonconference. I was pretty worried going into the Brooklyn tournament. Then we beat the brakes off of two solid teams because we turned them over....Same thing with the game at Charleston. Icthen gets sick and our transition game went to nothing. Our half court offense got even worse. Now we are in the Big 12 where it's even tougher to score when Ice gets back. Like mentioned before, the spread created some more movement last 10 games and Cam started making shots. Ice was back to getting to the rim more often.

So, I think we can be a second round NCAA team with similar structure as last year. But if we figure out the offensive side of the ball with some real flow in the half court, then we can really be good.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
No doubt. I was criticised by some when I was questioning our offense in the nonconference. I was pretty worried going into the Brooklyn tournament. Then we beat the brakes off of two solid teams because we turned them over....Same thing with the game at Charleston. Icthen gets sick and our transition game went to nothing. Our half court offense got even worse. Now we are in the Big 12 where it's even tougher to score when Ice gets back. Like mentioned before, the spread created some more movement last 10 games and Cam started making shots. Ice was back to getting to the rim more often.

So, I think we can be a second round NCAA team with similar structure as last year. But if we figure out the offensive side of the ball with some real flow in the half court, then we can really be good.
My thoughts exactly. I see 1. Kansas 2. BAYLOR, 3. TEXAS tech 4. OSU

4th or no lower 5th my prediction. I think we will be a team that's really tough to beat in February and March

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa

4th or no lower 5th my prediction. I think we will be a team that's really tough to beat in February and March
Just hope we can figure out how to not dig ourselves a huge hole early in conference play this year. If we can at least split the first half of conference, I will feel really good about getting higher than an 8 seed in the tournament.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Win one game in the tournament, two would be nice any more would be great.
Not making the tournament would be a huge disappointment. We will be good on defense, just with the added speed, quickness and length. Offense will always worry me on a HCMB team until proven otherwise. I’ve sat through too many 5-10 minute stretch of games the last two years when we couldn’t buy a bucket to think the addition of some good (maybe great) players is just suddenly going to make us into an offense juggernaut, but our whole make-up is going to completely change so hopefully we will light it up.

Sep 23, 2010
Win one game in the tournament, two would be nice any more would be great.
Not making the tournament would be a huge disappointment. We will be good on defense, just with the added speed, quickness and length. Offense will always worry me on a HCMB team until proven otherwise. I’ve sat through too many 5-10 minute stretch of games the last two years when we couldn’t buy a bucket to think the addition of some good (maybe great) players is just suddenly going to make us into an offense juggernaut, but our whole make-up is going to completely change so hopefully we will light it up.
The long stretches of no scoring is brutal. But that's what having a great player is supposed to help eliminate. They get create buckets when it's hard to get them. We haven't had that since Evans.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

West Virginia is going to be really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I came up with a new theory this morning: there was never an official pronouncement that Ice had mono. I believe he was an early adopter of the Covid. I also believe we now have herd (or posse) immunity for all our sports teams and probably will win B12 championships in football, MBB, baseball and wrestling. I also believe I need to get out of the house more.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina

Hopefully Thsiewbe or however the hell you spell it goes pro.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Did Nolaeer figure out how to make a sock account?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Feb 18, 2009
I think folks are hedging with some good reasonable thought Having a top 5 player in the draft does not guarantee anything...check out Georgia with Anthony Edwards. Check out Memphis with their crazy talented freshmen class. Check LSU with Ben Simmons. Certainly helps having someone this talented, but we have to mesh and play well.
Agree - that's where Cade is different than some of those other classes. He makes everyone on the floor better and isn't just about himself. He also genuinely likes to play defense. He's a special talent but you're right, they have to gel and play well together. I am optimistic he will drive that. I wouldn't be shocked if he's in the running for POY in the conference.

Sep 23, 2010
Agree - that's where Cade is different than some of those other classes. He makes everyone on the floor better and isn't just about himself. He also genuinely likes to play defense. He's a special talent but you're right, they have to gel and play well together. I am optimistic he will drive that. I wouldn't be shocked if he's in the running for POY in the conference.
If he's in the running for that, then our team is doing pretty darn good.

Sep 23, 2010
If I had to do a preseason ranking, it would look like this

10. Iowa State
9. Kansas State
8. TCU
7. Oklahoma
6. Texas
5. Oklahoma State
4. West Virginia
3. Texas Tech
2. Baylor
1. Kansas

Kansas losing Dotson and Udoka could slide further but they have to be in the mix until proven otherwise.

So, the question to me is can we get good enough to fight our way into that top 3? Our roster has enough talent but can it develop and gel quickly enough to do so. That's the big question.

The top 4 teams are always tough, very physical and defend. They win close games. They usually have a star emerge. Can we win those dogfight conference games often enough? Will we have the mental toughness to avoid a losing skid and win some games on the road? A good year would be 7-2 at home and 4-5 or 5-4 on the road. A great year would be 8-1 or 9-0 at home while 5-4 or 6-3 on the road.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
If I had to do a preseason ranking, it would look like this

10. Iowa State
9. Kansas State
8. TCU
7. Oklahoma
6. Texas
5. Oklahoma State
4. West Virginia
3. Texas Tech
2. Baylor
1. Kansas

Kansas losing Dotson and Udoka could slide further but they have to be in the mix until proven otherwise.

So, the question to me is can we get good enough to fight our way into that top 3? Our roster has enough talent but can it develop and gel quickly enough to do so. That's the big question.

The top 4 teams are always tough, very physical and defend. They win close games. They usually have a star emerge. Can we win those dogfight conference games often enough? Will we have the mental toughness to avoid a losing skid and win some games on the road? A good year would be 7-2 at home and 4-5 or 5-4 on the road. A great year would be 8-1 or 9-0 at home while 5-4 or 6-3 on the road.
Probably about right. Wouldn’t be surprised to see anybody from 3 to 7 trade places. Tough league.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I came up with a new theory this morning: there was never an official pronouncement that Ice had mono. I believe he was an early adopter of the Covid. I also believe we now have herd (or posse) immunity for all our sports teams and probably will win B12 championships in football, MBB, baseball and wrestling. I also believe I need to get out of the house more.
you forgot softball, just saying