Basketball Team Expectations

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
Ok. We have a really good idea what the roster is going to look like. I believe we still add a transfer 4man but I don't know that and we have a really good idea what it's going to look like. Barring our best player going out with Mono for over a month, what are you going to ecstatic about and what are you going to be sorely disappointed with.

For me:
My expectation is 3rd or 4th place finish in the league. 6-7 seed in NCAA tournament. At least see round of 32.
I would be ecstatic with 2nd or better finish and run into the Sweet 16, Elite 8 week.
I would be sorely disappointed if we don't make the tournament again.

I think this group will have to find it's identity early. I worry about the difficult non-conference schedule hurting our confidence early. I am banking on at least one other true freshmen besides Cade (my bet is Moncrieffe or Walker) having a big impact. I think we are going to be very good defensively. I worry a bit about the offensive end. It's been Boynton's biggest wart of his coaching thus far.

Jun 14, 2011
Great thread. I agreed that 3rd-4th in the league is a worthy expectation.

Ecstatic: 1st in conference and establishing a consistent offensive identity that is consistently effective AND doing so by the end of the non-con schedule. Also, Ice developing ANY kind of shot away from the basket. I have been kicking around starting a thread purely for where each player can improve (from what I have seen at least) and what I hope they work on over the summer.

Disappointed: Finishing below 5th in the league and not making it out of the 1st round of the NCAAs. Ice not developing a shot away from the basket. Seriously dude, work on your shooting.

I'll add another category; Surprise move/X-factor: I think we see one of the guards red-shirt. My money is on Harris or AAIII. AA was making excellent strides to close out the year and both he and Harris were very solid defensively. I just think we have too many guards to effectively give everyone minutes. Harris' shot made my eyes bleed, so he gets my vote over Anderson b/c we need ball handlers when Cade is on the bench. Keylan is another possibility, but I see him playing more as a stretch PF, especially if we don't pick up any other commits/players (come on down Greg Brown...)

Sep 23, 2010
I think Harris is going to shoot it better next year. Freshmen year can be tough on percentages. He's a solid defender as well and this year's team will have more people who can break people down so Harris will be mostly just catch and shoot. But Harris' spot is where the biggest dog fight is. Flavors/Walker/Williams/Harris will be fighting for those minutes, even if we play 4 guards which it appears the route we are going.

I think Anderson's role will be similar to this year's except I think he will just be a lot better at it. I think he spells Ice and Cade and serves as the second playmaker when they are off. I think we have 3 playmakers with those 3 as they develop. Moncrieffe will be athletic and active but I see him more in the Shawn Marion finisher role. He really is the second freshmen I see emerging into a big role playing the 4. I just think he's a lot more talented then Keylan even though Keylan can make an open 3. I think Hiddie or Pena are redshirt options (assuming they are still on the roster).

Well

This is how I spend time.
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
My expectation is Big 12 champion, and elite 8 appearance. I could go with being tied for 1st place in Big 12 play, and maybe losing a close overtime game in the Big 12 finals.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
I'd be ecstatic with real contention for the Big 12 title (i.e. 1st or 2nd place finish) and a Sweet 16 appearance.

I'd be disappointed finishing anywhere below 5th in the conference and either being on the bubble or barely getting in the tourney.

Realistically, I think a top 4 finish in conference and winning a tournament game are fair expectations. There is a lot of talent on the roster, but most of it is very young and unproven.

To expect anything more than a solid, momentum building season for the program seems unfair to Boynton and the players.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I said several months ago that this season is the true test for MB. We need to challenge for a top 16 seed in the dance, that's a 4 seed or better. Also would be nice to finish in top 3 in conference but if you get a 4 seed, that's probably a given.

Anything less than this, with the team we should have, and it will be time for a change. I am expecting success though, MB has put his team together, a very good team, and I think he'll be able to coach them to a lot of wins.. . looking forward to it.

Sep 23, 2010
I said several months ago that this season is the true test for MB. We need to challenge for a top 16 seed in the dance, that's a 4 seed or better. Also would be nice to finish in top 3 in conference but if you get a 4 seed, that's probably a given.

Anything less than this, with the team we should have, and it will be time for a change. I am expecting success though, MB has put his team together, a very good team, and I think he'll be able to coach them to a lot of wins.. . looking forward to it.
I think the team might be capable of this but I don't know if they will get that success level that quickly, especially the non-conference schedule being as tough as it is. I think that if they are a bubble team then yes Boynton will be receiving some heat. It's a tough balance though because of the amount of good young players in the program that will be there even if that happens.

Tulley

Wrangler
Feb 27, 2018
IA
Boynton knows the expectations and i think he's going to deliver. Tough non-conference yes, but Ice and Cade won't let droughts from last year happen again. If Kalib packs on a little muscle...yikes..he will be a force. I also predict that Moncrieffe will be starter by conference play. I'm thinking 3rd in conference and at least a sweet sixteen appearance. I really like the thought of this starting lineup

Cunnigham/Likekele/Williams/Moncrieffe/Ka. Boone

Yor/ Flavors/Ke.Boone/Walker/Anderson off the bench is insane depth.

Aug 19, 2006
You just pushed Harris to the end of the bench next to Hidde. I think he'll compete for playing time too. Barring injuries or some off the court nonsense, we could be looking at an 11-player rotation next year. That's crazy depth considering where this program has been for the last couple decades. And MB is still recruiting....

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
How do people see Likekele fitting in if Cunningham comes in and plays like a one and one guy, particularly if he doesn't develop a consistent enough shot? Is it possible that he becomes the backup PG or a primarily defensive player next season?

Tulley

Wrangler
Feb 27, 2018
IA
You just pushed Harris to the end of the bench next to Hidde. I think he'll compete for playing time too. Barring injuries or some off the court nonsense, we could be looking at an 11-player rotation next year. That's crazy depth considering where this program has been for the last couple decades. And MB is still recruiting....
I really like Harris, and i think we will be a really nice player down the road but personally i think they should both red-shirt even though they wont.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
How do people see Likekele fitting in if Cunningham comes in and plays like a one and one guy, particularly if he doesn't develop a consistent enough shot? Is it possible that he becomes the backup PG or a primarily defensive player next season?
They'll both start.

Ice will take on the role of secondary ball handler. I'd also wager their minutes will be somewhat staggered to keep one of them on the court as much as possible.

The spacing will be interesting. The lack of proven shooting surrounding Ice & Cade makes me think Boynton may try to play at a faster tempo to reduce half court offense.

Just my two cents.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
They'll both start.

Ice will take on the role of secondary ball handler. I'd also wager their minutes will be somewhat staggered to keep one of them on the court as much as possible.

The spacing will be interesting. The lack of proven shooting surrounding Ice & Cade makes me think Boynton may try to play at a faster tempo to reduce half court offense.

Just my two cents.

I think by the end of the year the best lineup will be.
PG- Cade
SG- Flavors/Williams
SF- Keylan
PF- MAM
C- Kalib

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
They'll both start.

Just my two cents.

PG- Cade
SG- Flavors/Williams
SF- Keylan
PF- MAM
C- Kalib
Could be, but Ice was far and away the best player last season.

His leadership, playmaking, and defensive aggression are vital to the team. Not to mention the scoring ability he showed when he was healthy.

The team was worse in every facet when he was out.

Sure, he can't shoot worth a lick but I don't see any way he loses his starting spot.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston

His leadership, playmaking, and defensive aggression are vital to the team. Not to mention the scoring ability he showed when he was healthy.

Sure, he can't shoot worth a lick but I don't see any way he loses his starting spot.

oh I am not saying he loses his starting spot but I think that lineup could be the closing lineup

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby

oh I am not saying he loses his starting spot but I think that lineup could be the closing lineup
Possibly. That lineup would provide more spacing.

Ultimately, Boynton would have to weigh the value of having a veteran with closing experience on the court (ISU as an example) vs. having more spacing for Cade to operate.

I'm sure there will be a LOT of lineup experimentation throughout the season. And individual situations will dictate the best lineup, of course.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
They'll both start.

Just my two cents.

PG- Cade
SG- Flavors/Williams
SF- Keylan
PF- MAM
C- Kalib

Ice did things no one else was capable or willing to do. Rebound and play defense. He’s gives the team a higher energy level when he’s on the court. There will always be room for Ice on a winning team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk