Basketball rules

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Dub

Cowboy
May 31, 2007
Palo Alto, CA
www.pillowfight.us
I know some of you coach or officiate basketball. Rules question:

After a made basket, the inbounder rolls the ball and the receiver lets it roll downcourt for 5+ seconds before picking it up. Why isn’t this a 5 sec violation? What clock is running? If the ball came to a stop on the court and nobody touched it, would time stand still?

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
That’s what I was unclear about. I thought “5 seconds to inbound” meant it had to be touched.
Eaton did more than a few times. Usually when there was less than 2 or 3 minutes and we were down by 5 or 6. I am sure it happened other times but that is when I remember it happening.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
From wiki so it is true...
Under all basketball rule sets, a team attempting to throw a ball in-bounds has a total of five seconds to release the ball towards the court.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
According to Rule 7-6.6 "The thrower-in shall release the ball not more than five seconds after the throw-in count begins."

Followed by the exception for passing it along the baseline to another player.

So it just has to leave the throwers hands before 5 seconds pass. Doesn't matter if anybody else touches it.