Basketball Practice Thoughts

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Do we still have any chance to at least delay the NCAA sanctions a year so we can make an NCAA tourney run with Cade?
Our only chance is to win the appeal which seemingly never happens. We cooperated which is why our sanctions happened so quickly.
It will be interesting to see how they handle Arizona. We are the sacrificial child. I bet they get a slap on the wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
I didn't watch the whole practice. I probably need to though. Obviously this is a complete different team, we are going to look like night and day from the previous few years with all the speed and athleticism. Hopefully the new look will lead to a bunch of W's, but almost every team is fast and athletic, so who knows. Either way they are going to fun team to watch, can't wait

Nov 6, 2010
The trickle down affect with Cade is real. Ice will now have the other team's second best on ball defender guarding him instead of the best. If Avery is with our second unit, he will be facing other teams back up guard defenders.

But ultimately, we finally have some reasonable options at the end of shot clocks, end of game scenarios. We have the guy you can give it to when you're in a pinch and tell him to "make a play". But yes, we need those guys (Harris, Flavors, Boone) to be able to make those catch and shoot 3's in the corners and other places to maintain spacing.
I know it was just 1 practice, but did it seem to you like Cade might be a little careless with the ball?? I think Ice is still going to be at the point for the majority of the early season until Cade adjusts to the level of D he'll see at this level.

Sep 23, 2010
I know it was just 1 practice, but did it seem to you like Cade might be a little careless with the ball?? I think Ice is still going to be at the point for the majority of the early season until Cade adjusts to the level of D he'll see at this level.
I did not take note of his carelessness. There were some airmailed passes in transition. There was some guys not spacing properly. I just attributed that to the first practice of guys really going full speed and what not.

I believe ballhandling responsibilities will be shared. Who gets the rebound, who is the closest outlet. But I believe Cade will be the primary ballhandler.

Jun 14, 2011
I did not take note of his carelessness. There were some airmailed passes in transition. There was some guys not spacing properly. I just attributed that to the first practice of guys really going full speed and what not.

I believe ballhandling responsibilities will be shared. Who gets the rebound, who is the closest outlet. But I believe Cade will be the primary ballhandler.
Additionally, as chemistry and familiarity improves within the team, guys will be looking for those passes where many of them probably would not have before.

AA, Ice, and Cade will all have lots of primary PG time. I definitly see Ice and Cade playing in the paint to exploit size match-ups as the situation dictates. My biggest hope is that Ice and AA worked on their outside shooting, or at least shooting in general, over the summer. If they can be a threat to pull up, that will open up the floor an incredible amount. However, if I was an opposing defense, I would make them prove that before playing out on the perimeter whenever they have the ball.

Sep 23, 2010
Additionally, as chemistry and familiarity improves within the team, guys will be looking for those passes where many of them probably would not have before.

AA, Ice, and Cade will all have lots of primary PG time. I definitly see Ice and Cade playing in the paint to exploit size match-ups as the situation dictates. My biggest hope is that Ice and AA worked on their outside shooting, or at least shooting in general, over the summer. If they can be a threat to pull up, that will open up the floor an incredible amount. However, if I was an opposing defense, I would make them prove that before playing out on the perimeter whenever they have the ball.
It will be hard for AA and Ice to be on the floor at the same time with Cade if their shooting has not drastically improved. Otherwise, we will see teams pack it in, take away driving lanes and dare us to shoot.

Oct 18, 2020
Stillwater ok
Absolutely spot on. Outside shooting is a huge question mark with this team. If CC Ice and big Boone play a lot together the other two will need two be shooters. Can’t wait for November 25th!!!

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I think Dizzy would have thrived on this team, hopefully we have someone that can light it up from three. It's a must have in todays game.
Seems like both of the transfers in were/are 3 point shooters. The kid that got hurt last year (Harris?) was starting to earn some PT before the injury...don't remember how he shot though.