Basketball Practice Thoughts

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
I watched the first practice on YouTube. I was glad that I watched it that way instead of live so I could skip ahead through all the talking.

First thing -- We are in a major overhaul on the offense. The new offense is NBA style offense with lots of dribble handoffs, ball screens and NBA spacing with positionless basketball outside of the 5. Even then, he had Cade run some 5. Ice was playing a lot of 4 as well. There were times where we still struggled with the spacing aspect but I like the direction we are headed there. We had a lot of early sets of the Horns series which you see quite often in the NBA.

Hard to take too much away from a personnel standpoint when it comes to just watching one practice. Walker looked better than I expected out there. He seems to be in the top 7. I was hoping to see a little more out of Moncrief, but it is just one practice. Pena's lenth and athletic ability is bonkers. Looks like we will start 4 guards. Avery Anderson played well for the team in white. Team shooting and taking care of the ball is still a concern. We had some nice athleticism out there though.

Nov 6, 2010
Why did he leave? I mean, seriously. Did he lose the starting position? Was it because of the NCAA vs OSU?

I really don’t understand why he left.
Only thing I can think of is with Boone coming on and the additional talent coming in he thought his minutes would be reduced, so he transferred to a weaker program in hopes of being more showcased for any NBA possibilities.

Jun 14, 2011
Only thing I can think of is with Boone coming on and the additional talent coming in he thought his minutes would be reduced, so he transferred to a weaker program in hopes of being more showcased for any NBA possibilities.
Maybe the NCAA penalties played a role as well. We would have been an incredibly deep team with some potentially nasty defense if he had stuck around. Ultimatley, I believe Boone has a higher ceiling, and certainly a better offensive game than Yor. That said, hated to see him go.

Sep 23, 2010
Yor would be nice. As crazy athletic as Pena is, I don't think he's quite ready for the physicality of the big 12. Boone as well might struggle in some games and get in foul trouble. I also didn't see much out of the JC transfer either. Just a big body. If Yor stays, the Yor/Boone combo at the 5 would have been very productive.

But my guess is we play even smaller ball when Boone is out based on that practice I just watched.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I was also impressed with Anderson. Sure wish Yor hadn't left.
Why did he leave? I mean, seriously. Did he lose the starting position? Was it because of the NCAA vs OSU?

I really don’t understand why he left.
They had an article in the DMN about him a few weeks ago. Sounds like he was pretty bored with the small town atmosphere. He wanted to live in a metro area like Dallas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 11, 2006
I watched the first practice on YouTube. I was glad that I watched it that way instead of live so I could skip ahead through all the talking.

First thing -- We are in a major overhaul on the offense. The new offense is NBA style offense with lots of dribble handoffs, ball screens and NBA spacing with positionless basketball outside of the 5. Even then, he had Cade run some 5. Ice was playing a lot of 4 as well. There were times where we still struggled with the spacing aspect but I like the direction we are headed there. We had a lot of early sets of the Horns series which you see quite often in the NBA.

Hard to take too much away from a personnel standpoint when it comes to just watching one practice. Walker looked better than I expected out there. He seems to be in the top 7. I was hoping to see a little more out of Moncrief, but it is just one practice. Pena's lenth and athletic ability is bonkers. Looks like we will start 4 guards. Avery Anderson played well for the team in white. Team shooting and taking care of the ball is still a concern. We had some nice athleticism out there though.
I hope we shoot well enough that we will see more man. I imagine with Cade’s creativity and driving ability that plays out of Horns will work well (we just need shooters on baseline to pull help out of the lane).
I would guess with ball handlers like Cade and Ice running a rub-series (dribble handoffs) could cause problems on defense.

Sep 23, 2010
I hope we shoot well enough that we will see more man. I imagine with Cade’s creativity and driving ability that plays out of Horns will work well (we just need shooters on baseline to pull help out of the lane).
I would guess with ball handlers like Cade and Ice running a rub-series (dribble handoffs) could cause problems on defense.
The trickle down affect with Cade is real. Ice will now have the other team's second best on ball defender guarding him instead of the best. If Avery is with our second unit, he will be facing other teams back up guard defenders.

But ultimately, we finally have some reasonable options at the end of shot clocks, end of game scenarios. We have the guy you can give it to when you're in a pinch and tell him to "make a play". But yes, we need those guys (Harris, Flavors, Boone) to be able to make those catch and shoot 3's in the corners and other places to maintain spacing.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

This is really exciting, I love the idea of the 4 guard line up. Let’s really max the spacing around Cade.

Sep 9, 2013
Sources: Matchups are set for the 2021 Big 12/SEC Challenge. Florida at West Virginia Texas at Kentucky Texas Tech at LSU Kansas at Tennessee Auburn at Baylor Iowa State at Mississippi State Alabama at Oklahoma TCU at Missouri Arkansas at Oklahoma State Texas A&M at Kansas State

Sep 23, 2010
Just repeating what they said

Yor was wildly inconsistent last year and Boone was coming a long at year's end. He may not have want to been in a situation where he was worst case moved to a back up roll at 15min a game or splitting minutes at 20min/game. I'm guessing that has more to do with it.

It's unfortunate because he would help us.

Jun 23, 2009
New York
Sources: Matchups are set for the 2021 Big 12/SEC Challenge. Florida at West Virginia Texas at Kentucky Texas Tech at LSU Kansas at Tennessee Auburn at Baylor Iowa State at Mississippi State Alabama at Oklahoma TCU at Missouri Arkansas at Oklahoma State Texas A&M at Kansas State
would have been nice to finally get Kentucky in this matchup this year with the #1 nba prospect