Baseball vs West Virginia

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
A comeback victory lifted Oklahoma State to its third consecutive conference series win as the Cowboys claimed a 6-4 triumph over West Virginia Sunday in Morgantown, West Virginia.

Peyton Battefield kept the Mountaineers off the scoreboard over the final four innings to earn his first win of the year as the right-hander scattered four hits and recorded five strikeouts in relief of starter Jonathan Heasley.
Link

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
https://twitter.com/osubaseball/status/985880824049471488?s=21
Some perspective regarding our place in the standings...

*No publication or coaches' poll that I saw had us higher than 6th in the league.

*We've already played 3 of the teams picked to finish higher than us, and 2 of those series were on the road.

*Along with WVU and TCU, we arguably had the toughest first half of the conference schedule when you take into account who we played and where. In other words, can't imagine many preseason prognosticators - even the most bullish - would have predicted us to be 9-3 at this point.

*Preseason projections were about 50/50 at best as to us even getting into a regional. Unless we tank, we're looking pretty good on that front.

*Still a long way to go, but there are a lot of goals that are still achievable. Top 3 finish in the league looks very possible, and with 9 games still to play against OU and TTech and top 40 Iowa (on the road), hosting might not be completely out of the question with a really strong finish.

*With the exception of the TCU series, this team still doesn't seem like they've put it all together and hit their ceiling yet.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2012

*No publication or coaches' poll that I saw had us higher than 6th in the league.

*We've already played 3 of the teams picked to finish higher than us, and 2 of those series were on the road.

*Along with WVU and TCU, we arguably had the toughest first half of the conference schedule when you take into account who we played and where. In other words, can't imagine many preseason prognosticators - even the most bullish - would have predicted us to be 9-3 at this point.

*Preseason projections were about 50/50 at best as to us even getting into a regional. Unless we tank, we're looking pretty good on that front.

*Still a long way to go, but there are a lot of goals that are still achievable. Top 3 finish in the league looks very possible, and with 9 games still to play against OU and TTech and top 40 Iowa (on the road), hosting might not be completely out of the question with a really strong finish.

*With the exception of the TCU series, this team still doesn't seem like they've put it all together and hit their ceiling yet.
I hope you're right. But I'm still concerned that some of this may be an illusion. I couldn't disagree more about the strength of our early conference schedule. We opened by dropping 2 of 3 at Texas...not a shock. Texas is proving to be an outstanding club. But, if we're going to be honest, we were dominated in games 2/3 (7-1 and 10-5). We have series wins against the two bottom rung teams in the league standings (KSt and WV). While we swept TCU, we gave up 21 runs and were fortunate to catch them during a stretch when they were probably playing the worst baseball they've displayed in at least 5 years. Now, having said that, as you mentioned, any win is a good win (especially on the road) and we've taken care of business against the teams we should have rolled. That's a positive sign. Unfortunately, we may not learn much this week, either. KU is bottom-tier B12. But it is a good opportunity to stack another 2 or 3 in the win column. We do, however, have the toughest closing stretch I've seen in a while...only 4 of our final 14 regular season games are at Allie P.--at DBU (NCAA RPI-43), one at home and 2 in Tulsa v. the Gooners (34), at ORU (205 but we tend to struggle there), at Iowa (39), at Baylor (63) and home v. TT (3). FWIW, if I'm reading it right, Warren Nolan's predicted results (based on current info) for those 14 games has us going 0-14. Now, that's not going to happen. But, it is an indication of the difficult obstacles we must still face and overcome. Bottom line, I'm encouraged by these early league developments but remain cautiously optimistic going forward. How the Cowboys navigate the final-month gauntlet will teach us everything we need to know. I, for one, can't wait to see how it plays out. Go Pokes!!

Last edited:

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
I hope you're right. But I'm still concerned that some of this may be an illusion. I couldn't disagree more about the strength of our early conference schedule. We opened by dropping 2 of 3 at Texas...not a shock. Texas is proving to be an outstanding club. But, if we're going to be honest, we were dominated in games 2/3 (7-1 and 10-5). We have series wins against the two bottom rung teams in the league standings (KSt and WV). While we swept TCU, we gave up 21 runs and were fortunate to catch them during a stretch when they were probably playing the worst baseball they've displayed in at least 5 years. Now, having said that, as you mentioned, any win is a good win (especially on the road) and we've taken care of business against the teams we should have rolled. That's a positive sign. Unfortunately, we may not learn much this week, either. KU is bottom-tier B12. But it is a good opportunity to stack another 2 or 3 in the win column. We do, however, have the toughest closing stretch I've seen in a while...only 4 of our final 14 regular season games are at Allie P.--at DBU (NCAA RPI-43), one at home and 2 in Tulsa v. the Gooners (34), at ORU (205 but we tend to struggle there), at Iowa (39), at Baylor (63) and home v. TT (3). FWIW, if I'm reading it right, Warren Nolan's predicted results (based on current info) for those 14 games has us going 0-14. Now, that's not going to happen. But, it is an indication of the difficult obstacles we must still face and overcome. Bottom line, I'm optimistic by these early league developments but remain cautiously optimistic going forward. How the Cowboys navigate the final-month gauntlet will teach us everything we need to know. I, for one, can't wait to see how it plays out. Go Pokes!!
I hear you, and I'm by no means meaning to say that we're going to make huge noise in the postseason, etc. My point was really to indicate that this team has overachieved relative to preseason expectations, at least to this point. When the dust settles, maybe things won't look as good. But, it's notable that last year after 12 conference games, we were 4-8 with half of those games being played at home.

When the season started, I would almost bet that anyone on this board who follows college baseball closely wouldn't have touched a bet that we'd go 5-1 against TCU and WVU. WVU is currently at the bottom of the standings, but here's their Big 12 schedule to date: at OU, at Tech, OSU. If we're going to only use current standings to indicate the strength of what a team has played, they've easily had the hardest stretch of anyone. Point being, I wouldn't be surprised to see them start rattling of some wins and climbing the standings. (To further the point, KSU's down at the bottom, but the week before we swept them, they took 2-3 from Texas).

The road ahead is definitely tough, but again, the point was to say that, as unlikely as it might have seemed at the beginning of the season (at least to me), this bunch actually has a puncher's chance of winning the Big 12 and even hosting a regional. Do I think it will happen? Not without a more consistent approach at the plate and another arm or two stepping up. Could it happen? Clearly it could if they get it all together, especially based on all of those high RPI games you pointed out.

And FWIW, at the start of the season, Warren Nolan's site predicted us to finish dead last in the Big 12 and to get swept by UT, KSU, WVU and TCU and to lose to OU in the midweek. It's actually been sort of comical to watch it's original prediction for our final record (somewhere between 35-40 losses) get closer to .500 as we keep winning games that it says we shouldn't.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
I hope you're right. But I'm still concerned that some of this may be an illusion. I couldn't disagree more about the strength of our early conference schedule. We opened by dropping 2 of 3 at Texas...not a shock. Texas is proving to be an outstanding club. But, if we're going to be honest, we were dominated in games 2/3 (7-1 and 10-5). We have series wins against the two bottom rung teams in the league standings (KSt and WV). While we swept TCU, we gave up 21 runs and were fortunate to catch them during a stretch when they were probably playing the worst baseball they've displayed in at least 5 years. Now, having said that, as you mentioned, any win is a good win (especially on the road) and we've taken care of business against the teams we should have rolled. That's a positive sign. Unfortunately, we may not learn much this week, either. KU is bottom-tier B12. But it is a good opportunity to stack another 2 or 3 in the win column. We do, however, have the toughest closing stretch I've seen in a while...only 4 of our final 14 regular season games are at Allie P.--at DBU (NCAA RPI-43), one at home and 2 in Tulsa v. the Gooners (34), at ORU (205 but we tend to struggle there), at Iowa (39), at Baylor (63) and home v. TT (3). FWIW, if I'm reading it right, Warren Nolan's predicted results (based on current info) for those 14 games has us going 0-14. Now, that's not going to happen. But, it is an indication of the difficult obstacles we must still face and overcome. Bottom line, I'm optimistic by these early league developments but remain cautiously optimistic going forward. How the Cowboys navigate the final-month gauntlet will teach us everything we need to know. I, for one, can't wait to see how it plays out. Go Pokes!!
Warren Nolan has the Cowboys going 4-14 to close out the regular season finishing at 24-27-1.

He also has the Cowboys finishing at 12-12 in the conference which would be a 3-9 record to close out the regular season.

I can see OSU taking 2 each from Kansas & Baylor and 1 each from OU & Tech. That's 6 more conference wins for a conference record of 15-9.

Last edited:

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City

We recruited a couple top 5 classes. Why would we be picked low. It's dumbass

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
We recruited a couple top 5 classes. Why would we be picked low. It's dumbass
A couple of the early classes were top 5, but the more recent ones have been a bit lower.

That said, I think the ranking had more to do with what we lost to draft/graduation after 2017 (and didn't have coming back, i.e. the pitching injuries that CowboyBaseball mentioned) compared with what the rest of the league had coming back. IIRC, 6 teams besides OSU went to regionals last year, and most of those teams had a lot of talent returning. Besides those 6, I read many experts who were saying preseason that this might be the best team Kansas has had in quite a while. So more than a few polls had us ranked lower than KU.

TBH, I'm hopeful that the low ranking put a chip on the team's shoulder and that they're out to prove that they're better than what many thought they'd be. Over the last few years, that's one thing I think the team has sometimes been missing - that competitive edge. I think we're seeing that more this year with the come from behind wins, etc. That's reminiscent of JH's earlier teams.

It hasn't been pretty a lot of the time, but they've certainly given themselves a chance to make a lot of prognosticators eat crow. And like I said in my first post, I still think their best baseball could be ahead of them if they can put it all together for more than a game or two at a time.