Baseball vs tcu

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Collin was much much better in the back half of that season, but I don't think he ever came even close to struggling as much defensively as our catchers have so far this season, at least with throwing. Most on here that were criticizing him were mainly doing so because they believe that if you're not hitting at least .275 at OSU then that means you're a crappy baseball player.

There are several in our fan base that aren't very educated about what style of baseball it takes to win in Omaha these days. Holliday and Walton built that 2016 team around pitching and defense, and by the end of the season they were so tremendous at it that we almost landed in the NC series. And, Theroux was a HUGE part of that success. It's disappointing that some still think we should always be scoring 12 runs per game, and if we aren't, then that means we're not a good team. Personally, I enjoy watching one of our pitchers carve up the opposition just as much as hanging 11 runs on 15 hits on the opposition.
Chicks dig the long ball :whistle:

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Chicks dig the long ball :whistle:

Launch angle baby, launch angle.

Seriously though, anyone else ever think about how Inky would be MUCH more valued in today's MLB than he was in the 80's & 90's? You strike out 3 times per game chasing junk in today's game, no one cares as long as you hit 30 HR's over the course of the season.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
Yes i am a very successful broadcaster. Thank you very much! I am not even going to say anything else on this topic. For the ones that know anything about sports and our teams, I am glad you are here and want an intelligent discussion instead of lashing out. Go Pokes!
..........this isn't going to end well. :popcorn:

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
Collin was much much better in the back half of that season, but I don't think he ever came even close to struggling as much defensively as our catchers have so far this season, at least with throwing. Most on here that were criticizing him were mainly doing so because they believe that if you're not hitting at least .275 at OSU then that means you're a crappy baseball player.

There are several in our fan base that aren't very educated about what style of baseball it takes to win in Omaha these days. Holliday and Walton built that 2016 team around pitching and defense, and by the end of the season they were so tremendous at it that we almost landed in the NC series. And, Theroux was a HUGE part of that success. It's disappointing that some still think we should always be scoring 12 runs per game, and if we aren't, then that means we're not a good team. Personally, I enjoy watching one of our pitchers carve up the opposition just as much as hanging 11 runs on 15 hits on the opposition.
Agreed. I'm hopeful that a big part of the issue for Taylor is just adjusting to the speed of the game at this level. That was part of Theroux's issue as well. IIRC, you're right that throwing wasn't a huge issue for him, but passed balls were a major problem prior to the WV series. He was having to catch D1 sliders for the first time, and had to learn that he couldn't just backhand balls in the dirt, but was going to have to body them up. Either way, I was only bringing him up to point out that we've seen big improvement from catchers before, so I'm hopeful we might this year.

Also, I think an argument could be made that more than a few of those bases were stolen off of Joe and the relievers, or at the very least that they made things more difficult. Joe and Aleaziz are both not the quickest to the plate. Seemed like Taylor was almost throwing from his knees a lot of the time on Friday.

Feb 4, 2004
There is a huge adjustment going from high school ball to college and more so going to a program playing in a major conference even for most elite high school players.

I believe Taylor has the potential to be a good catcher. As he matures and works with the coaching staff, his pop time should improve and his arm should get stronger. His head coach was a pretty fair catcher and I’m sure will work with him on his technique. He’s getting hit with a lot by better, more experienced players, and the learning curve is steep.

A key has been that he has shown he can hit at this level.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
I have some baseball updates for you all, so I'll just use this thread :)

Oklahoma State’s Jon Littell has been named the NCBWA National Hitter of the Week for the period of March 26-April 1, it was announced today by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association.

Littell’s offensive prowess helped the Cowboys to a 4-0 week that saw them claim a road win at Oklahoma before posting OSU’s first-ever, three-game Big 12 series sweep of TCU. The senior outfielder was 9-for-15 (.600) at the plate in the four games with three doubles, two triples and four RBIs. He also scored nine runs, drew five walks, stole a base and turned in a 1.067 slugging percentage.
Link

Carson McCusker picked up Big 12 Newcomer of the Week honors.
McCusker entered Saturday's doubleheader against TCU having made just one start on the season and with only one hit in 11 at-bats. He started both games in right field and went 4-for-6 with three home runs, all solo shots, while also making several highlight-reel defensive plays in the outfield.

Link

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
No doubt being healthy is a major factor. Combining that with simplifying his approach is paying big dividends so far.
I haven't gone back and looked at last year in terms of his swing but I know he was hitting north of 300 last year with some pop before that collision. I suspect, can't say for sure, he modified his swing after the injury to take some pressure off his shoulder, his ab's this year (that I've seen) were good even before the OU game and tcu series, he just was hitting into some awful luck.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Wasn't planning on getting into this, but PerryPoke77 is a "broadcaster"? Seriously? Maybe ham radio. He writes on about a 5th grade level (apologies to my son.) He needs to worry less about spelling names, and focus on his written language skills, which are poor to say the least.
@PerryPoke77 broadcasts for the perry HS football team on the local 10 watt am station - he's very successful. now, let's go beat WSU tonight!

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
@PerryPoke77 broadcasts for the perry HS football team on the local 10 watt am station - he's very successful. now, let's go beat WSU tonight!
You are funny. i have broadcasted for other teams and Fort Worth area teams...thanks Mike for piling on. Further, i have called football, basketball, baseball and wrestling. and no broadcasters talk, journalists write. and the broadcasts were carried by the Triple Play Sports Radio Network...hardly a 10 watt station

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
You are funny. i have broadcasted for other teams and Fort Worth area teams...thanks Mike for piling on. Further, i have called football, basketball, baseball and wrestling. and no broadcasters talk, journalists write. and the broadcasts were carried by the Triple Play Sports Radio Network...hardly a 10 watt station
yawn........... it's always the best when some douche comes on an anonymous message board and pumps their credentials and achievements under a veil of mysticism........... it screams lack of self esteem and attention seeking.........