Baseball vs Shockers

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

edmondcowboy

Territorial Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Pitchers are just not executing that’s the bottom line. Few weeks ago it was the hitters. At times it is a combination. I have a medical background. I would be willing to bet most arm troubles are due to kids playing so much travel and school ball in their developmental years. When you start shredding the UCL/Tommy John ligament it is like meniscus it just becomes a time bomb. These star recruits are playing almost year round and hardly have pitch counts etc. they go to showcases based off pure talent alone and do not have the muscle control/mechanics to sustain 100,000+ pitches in 5 yrs of playing. I too am very frustrated but 98% of us do not know if guys struggle in bullpen sessions or walk guys in scrimmages etc. we all need to take a step back and realize we have a top 10 pitching coach in the country and our guys just are not executing. Don’t be on the same train as all the #firegundy idiots every time we lose a game. WSU is a top 20 team & grounded away 2 wins vs us
I don’t think they are executing because they are worn down. Reza has 15 appearances and battenfield 13 in 31 games. While I don’t disagree with the travel ball being a problem, I feel like we have more arm issues than anyone. Especially when it comes to top arms. Although I don’t know what issues anyone else has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 14, 2017
Texas
I’m not mad a reza at all. Dude threw strikes, and didn’t have it. I guess he should have walked people and he would have pulled him. It’s on the coach to know is staff. He should have been out when it was 7-6. I could go on and on about it and numerous other times he’s blown it. But it doesn’t matter at this point. If the rest of the pen is so bad, who is that on?

2016 is looking more and more like it was more having legit arms than it was a great coach. And lastly, I promise I’m done after this, why do all of our pitchers have arm problems. From hatch to Cobb to Elliot to Scott. Pretty sure Cole has been hurt most of the year. I mean we have as many arm problems as the Mets.

Don’t disagree that there’s always some things that could’ve been done different in hindsight. To Rob’s defense we were tops in the Big 12 in pitching from 2013-2016 and this staff would be up there too without a crazy amount of injuries/ineligibility (I know you have to make the best of it but I wonder how many teams have had that many key pieces out?). We are relying on several guys that wouldn’t be normally with mixed results. They’ve had their struggles which tells you the guys behind them are likely too far away from being counted on unfortunately. Hopefully Leeper can get worked in but he’d only had a couple decent outings all year with several rough ones.

Jun 14, 2017
Texas
What I would give to have a Vince Wheeland and Brenden MCCurry on this team. We lack a true closer with power stuff or a guy with the mentality to go attack the last few outs.

I don’t disagree with coach Holliday often, but on the post game he said he felt we got beat and didn’t give the game away. Our pitching or lack there of gave that game away giving up 8 runs in the last 6 outs
His name is Carson Teel...he’s our best starter too so it’s a catch 22 which is why he’s started and closed.

Feb 4, 2004
What I would give to have a Vince Wheeland and Brenden MCCurry on this team. We lack a true closer with power stuff or a guy with the mentality to go attack the last few outs.

I don’t disagree with coach Holliday often, but on the post game he said he felt we got beat and didn’t give the game away. Our pitching or lack there of gave that game away giving up 8 runs in the last 6 outs
I agree with your assessment. Josh is a good coach who will never throw anyone under the bus, but bottom line is our pitching decisions, both in terms of pitcher utilization and pitch calling in the late innings gave away two games that we had won and that would have significantly boosted our RPI.

No getting around the obvious.

edmondcowboy

Territorial Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Hopefully we respond well. This is a tough loss to bounce back from. It was a resume building win. Thankfully we have 2 against Missouri state. But I’d hate for a regional to come down to us and Wichita State. Need to sweep this weekend again.

Jun 14, 2017
Texas
Hopefully we respond well. This is a tough loss to bounce back from. It was a resume building win. Thankfully we have 2 against Missouri state. But I’d hate for a regional to come down to us and Wichita State. Need to sweep this weekend again.

Yep this loss and the 2 head scratchers against EMU at home (most frustrating by far) plus the tie we probably would’ve won are the most frustrating. Would be 22-9....We’ve had a lot of gutsy wins too though.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
I respect our coaches too much to always second guess decisons on who pitches how much and when. Only they know what each player has in them each and every day. Sure, wrong decisions get made - that's baseball.

edmondcowboy

Territorial Marshal
Sep 24, 2008

Yep this loss and the 2 head scratchers against EMU at home (most frustrating by far) plus the tie we probably would’ve won are the most frustrating. Would be 22-9....We’ve had a lot of gutsy wins too though.
The tie sucked. 2nd and 3rd one out in the 8th...

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Pitchers are just not executing that’s the bottom line. Few weeks ago it was the hitters. At times it is a combination. I have a medical background. I would be willing to bet most arm troubles are due to kids playing so much travel and school ball in their developmental years. When you start shredding the UCL/Tommy John ligament it is like meniscus it just becomes a time bomb. These star recruits are playing almost year round and hardly have pitch counts etc. they go to showcases based off pure talent alone and do not have the muscle control/mechanics to sustain 100,000+ pitches in 5 yrs of playing. I too am very frustrated but 98% of us do not know if guys struggle in bullpen sessions or walk guys in scrimmages etc. we all need to take a step back and realize we have a top 10 pitching coach in the country and our guys just are not executing. Don’t be on the same train as all the #firegundy idiots every time we lose a game. WSU is a top 20 team & grounded away 2 wins vs us
These guys need to cut their baseball games a year in half.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teel went 140+ most likely due to the Pokes having 9 games in 13 days, not to mention he hadn't thrown in 9 days, won't for another 6 and only had 47 innings on the year, I doubt seriously this staff would put his future in jeopardy.
Unfortunately the pitching staff is decimated with injury and the non-con, while important, is secondary to conference play, finish t3or4 in conf play, virtual lock to, go to tournament.
Walton has done this pretty much every year (and the replies on this board are the same every year), he seldom uses 1 or 2 in the mid week games if they have series the week before and after and he usually tries to let a lesser used guy figure it out (you get rope it's up to you to swing free or hang).
Get 2 of 3 from WV this week and the Pokes are sitting pretty for post season barring a late swoon, bats have woken up (I know a guy on this board who predicted that would happen, crazy ain't it) and the pitching is sound if not great and the news of the stadium seems to have lit a fire that wasn't there earlier. @edmondcowboy knows this as well as anyone but the Pokes this year may have had a large number of strikeouts but they haven't looked overmatched as a general rule, last year for a good portion of the year they looked completely overmatched.
I was pretty optimistic for this year mostly due to the arms coming back (little did I or anyone know that the Jobe clinic would set up shop in Stillwater) looking at it now I'm fairly optimistic because the bats appear capable of carrying the team more so than in years past and I trust RW when it matters.

Last edited:

edmondcowboy

Territorial Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Teel went 140+ most likely due to the Pokes having 9 games in 13 days, not to mention he hadn't thrown in 9 days and only had 47 innings on the year, I doubt seriously this staff would put his future in jeopardy.
Unfortunately the staff is decimated with injury and the non-con, while important, is secondary to conference play, finish t3or4 in conf play, virtual lock to, go to tournament.
Walton has done this pretty much every year (and the replies on this board are the same every year), he seldom uses 1 or 2 in the mid week games if they have series the week before and after and he usually tries to let a lesser used guy figure it out (you get rope it's up to you to swing free or hang).
Get 2 of 3 from WV this week and the Pokes are sitting pretty for post season barring a late swoon, bats have woken up (I know a guy on this board who predicted that would happen, crazy ain't it) and the pitching is sound if not great and the news of the stadium seems to have lit a fire that wasn't there earlier. @edmondcowboy knows this as well as anyone but the Pokes this year may have had a large number of strikeouts but they haven't looked overmatched, as a general rule, last year for a good portion of the year they looked comletely overmatched.
I was pretty optimistic for this year mostly due to the arms coming back (little did I or anyone know that the Jobe clinic would set up shop in Stillwater) looking at it now I'm fairly optimistic because the bats appear capable of carrying the team more so than in years past and I trust RW when it matters.
That’s one of the more frustrating things. No one have I thought over matched us. Never after a game this year have I thought man they are just better than us. Which makes losses like last night that much more frustrating. We have the ability to win them.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
That’s one of the more frustrating things. No one have I thought over matched us. Never after a game this year have I thought man they are just better than us. Which makes losses like last night that much more frustrating. We have the ability to win them.

Don't misunderstand, I get as frustrated as anyone with games I thought the Pokes should have won, I count 4 or so this year and I agree they have the ability but the piling on to coaches and or players is as frustrating to me as the losses.

Aug 1, 2008
Don’t disagree that there’s always some things that could’ve been done different in hindsight. To Rob’s defense we were tops in the Big 12 in pitching from 2013-2016 and this staff would be up there too without a crazy amount of injuries/ineligibility (I know you have to make the best of it but I wonder how many teams have had that many key pieces out?). We are relying on several guys that wouldn’t be normally with mixed results. They’ve had their struggles which tells you the guys behind them are likely too far away from being counted on unfortunately. Hopefully Leeper can get worked in but he’d only had a couple decent outings all year with several rough ones.
I'll take Rob Walton, as a pitching coach, over anyone in college baseball!!!!

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
This.