Baseball vs Shockers

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 4, 2004
Exactly. He left the lefty in to face the right hander who promptly homered, THEN brought a right hander.

Not real smart. Especially as edmond said the hitter had been killing lefties.

edmondcowboy

Territorial Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Closing pitching has given up 17 runs in the last two innings of the last two games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would say they are burnt out from being used every game. He’s got to find another arm. He always leaves a guy in until he blows the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edmondcowboy

Territorial Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
He hangs his guys out to dry. Why leave him in to give up 5 runs then decide it’s the right time to pull him. Why pull leeper so early. Why not stick with battenfield. His decisions make no sense. We schedule good teams mid week and he just pieces together outings. No that that is a bad thing but he uses the same guys every game. You’ve gotta go to a fresh arm At some point. Prime example sifrit had an easy 6th walked 2 to start the 7th and yanks him. Reza is getting rocked and leaves him in to give up 5 runs while he had 2 guys warming up. It makes absolutely no sense and his decisions continue to cost us games and they have the last 2 years. The players are them selves up to win and he pisses them away. It’s frustrating. Shouldn’t have lost tonight. Late innings are all about matchups. And he chooses the wrong one all the time. You can’t piece together a mid week game with weekend guys especially after a Series was pushed to Monday. He should have extended leeper or Cj. Leeper throwing well, quick hook. Cj throwing well, quick hook, battenfield throwing well, quick hook. Sifrit pulled at the right time, reza clearly worn out left out to dry.

Last edited:

edmondcowboy

Territorial Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
I would say they are burnt out from being used every game. He’s got to find another arm. He always leaves a guy in until he blows the game.

Is Cole Hearrean in the dog house or something? He had some big innings last year, and now he's rarely used.
He was warming up. Which again makes no sense why he didn’t bring him in. You lose the left on left battle then no one has anything to say.

Feb 4, 2004
Reza is a fastball, sinker pitcher. His 3rd pitch is a slider. Why do you call his third best pitch, game on the line in a 1-2 count to one of their better hitters. He had just gotten the sinker called for strike 2 and the hitter turned and barked at the ump. Throw the same pitch and my guess is he gets rung or swings and misses.

Jun 14, 2017
Texas
Pretty frustrating to play so well and then give up 8 in the last two innings...Don’t walk 2 straight to start the 8th with a 5 run lead and that might not get started. If we had even a couple of the 4 arms that are out we’d have sufficient depth.

Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Reza is a fastball, sinker pitcher. His 3rd pitch is a slider. Why do you call his third best pitch, game on the line in a 1-2 count to one of their better hitters. He had just gotten the sinker called for strike 2 and the hitter turned and barked at the ump. Throw the same pitch and my guess is he gets rung or swings and misses.
I was yelling at Walton through the tv to call that sinker again!

edmondcowboy

Territorial Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Exactly should have gone 3 inches further out with same pitch.

edmondcowboy

Territorial Marshal
Sep 24, 2008

Right why not go to him up 7-2 in the 8th. Hell he could have pulled him after 2 hitters just like sifrit. Hearren might be good, but we will never know because he’s pitched like 2 innings. Van leewun looked good vs the 1 guy he faced but we never seen him so who knows. Why not go to him up 7-2. Try and eat an inning. He had the perfect chance to see another arm. And he went with guys who are burnt out. Leeper looked bad all year and they gave him a chance today and he shined. We have no idea how good any one else in the pen is because they have like 1 or 2 innings each. Why do you warm up 2 guys and not use them. He did the same crap yesterday with heasley. Kid has struggled all year. Threw really well for 5 innings had a lead over 100 pitches and what does he do. He sends him out for the 6th, while literally everyone on her was pretty convinced he was done. Heasley ends up giving up 5 runs and not getting the win.

Last edited:

edmondcowboy

Territorial Marshal
Sep 24, 2008

Me too. Every time he threw that slider it got ripped.

Feb 4, 2004
Right why not go to him up 7-2 in the 8th. Hell he could have pulled him after 2 hitters just like sifrit. Hearren might be good, but we will never know because he’s pitched like 2 innings. Van leewun looked good vs the 1 guy he faced but we never seen him so who knows. Why not go to him up 7-2. Try and eat an inning.

We’re saving
We’re saving him for the weekend him kinda like we were saving Koda Glover for that Super.

edmondcowboy

Territorial Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
I’m not mad a reza at all. Dude threw strikes, and didn’t have it. I guess he should have walked people and he would have pulled him. It’s on the coach to know is staff. He should have been out when it was 7-6. I could go on and on about it and numerous other times he’s blown it. But it doesn’t matter at this point. If the rest of the pen is so bad, who is that on?

2016 is looking more and more like it was more having legit arms than it was a great coach. And lastly, I promise I’m done after this, why do all of our pitchers have arm problems. From hatch to Cobb to Elliot to Scott. Pretty sure Cole has been hurt most of the year. I mean we have as many arm problems as the Mets.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017
Texas
It was good to see Leeper have a decent outing. His pitch count was around 80 and he’d never gone that long and had a shaky 4th so I think it was a good decision to take him out then. Everything seemed to be going well without overworking guys who had just thrown. Free baseball in the 8th and inability to get 3rd out in the 9th (grounder hit where we weren’t...). In hindsight might’ve been better to let Battenfield get 2 innings and finish it but he pitched yesterday as well. So many of our bullpen guys are up and down so it’s a guess.

Jun 14, 2017
Texas
Problem is 4 of the guys who would be used a lot are on the shelf which would be killer for any team. Think how good this staff would be when you mix them in with our best guys that are playing and take out a few that wouldn’t need to be used in any close ballgames. You have about 20 pitchers on the roster and usually rely on around 8–10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

edmondcowboy

Territorial Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
I’m not mad a reza at all. Dude threw strikes, and didn’t have it. I guess he should have walked people and he would have pulled him. It’s on the coach to know is staff. He should have been out when it was 7-6. I could go on and on about it but it doesn’t matter at this point. If the rest of the pen is so bad, who is that on?

Problem is 4 of the guys who would be used a lot are on the shelf which would be killer for any team. Think how good this staff would be when you mix them in with our best guys that are playing and take out a few that wouldn’t need to be used in any close ballgames. You have about 20 pitchers on the roster and usually rely on around 8–10.

I don’t disagree. While stone is a freak injury, we seem to have a lot of guys with arm problems. I mean it’s cost us 2 seasons of Elliot and Scott. I would think knowing that the chances of Elliot coming back this season were slim and a 50/50 chance for Scott. We would have recruited based on that. If I were a bullpen guy with only a couple of innings, why would I come back? We had 2 chances the last 2 days to see some new arms and we didn’t use them. We could have possibly had battenfield on 2 days rest today. But we Went to battenfield up 6 yesterday and sifrit up 5 today. That frustrates me. We have no idea of any of those guys are actually good or bad. Leeper was bad for 2 innings this year. Got a real chance today and threw really well bs a good team.

Jacob ruder 1 inning on the year vs Arizona State. A clean inning. Never to be seen again. Maybe he’s hurt, no idea

Cole hearrean, a veteran, 5 innings on the year, 2 since Arizona State. 3.60 era 4 ks.

Ryan van leeuwen 2 innings 2 runs on a home run vs a guy who smashed leftys all year.

That’s a total of 8 innings from 3 guy. So how can we know if they are good or not when they have had no chance. Hearrean was good last year. 2 of these guys were warming up while Walton made a mound visit up 7-6.

Last edited:

cowboyfanatic

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2010
oklahoma city, OK
What I would give to have a Vince Wheeland and Brenden MCCurry on this team. We lack a true closer with power stuff or a guy with the mentality to go attack the last few outs.

I don’t disagree with coach Holliday often, but on the post game he said he felt we got beat and didn’t give the game away. Our pitching or lack there of gave that game away giving up 8 runs in the last 6 outs

Dec 21, 2008
Pitchers are just not executing that’s the bottom line. Few weeks ago it was the hitters. At times it is a combination. I have a medical background. I would be willing to bet most arm troubles are due to kids playing so much travel and school ball in their developmental years. When you start shredding the UCL/Tommy John ligament it is like meniscus it just becomes a time bomb. These star recruits are playing almost year round and hardly have pitch counts etc. they go to showcases based off pure talent alone and do not have the muscle control/mechanics to sustain 100,000+ pitches in 5 yrs of playing. I too am very frustrated but 98% of us do not know if guys struggle in bullpen sessions or walk guys in scrimmages etc. we all need to take a step back and realize we have a top 10 pitching coach in the country and our guys just are not executing. Don’t be on the same train as all the #firegundy idiots every time we lose a game. WSU is a top 20 team & grounded away 2 wins vs us