Baseball vs gcu

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
I missed it. Shame on me. Valentines/Anniversary dinner took too long. I gather we lost. Anybody care to give me a quick summary?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I missed it. Shame on me. Valentines/Anniversary dinner took too long. I gather we lost. Anybody care to give me a quick summary?

Lost 10-3. Led 1-0 and then never really in it again. Osmond wasn’t terrible, but defense was awful. Hit the ball okay, a lot of loud outs....but still ended up with 12Ks.

Feb 20, 2019
Yukon
Mathis on short leash if I’m coach. Doesn’t look quick or flexible enough to block bad to iffy pitches in the dirt. Maybe just a bad night, but did not inspire confidence in his ability behind the plate. Also, needed a veteran presence to calm down the rooks when they had some things go sideways on them. Didn’t see that either. He came here with a questionable bat, if he can’t catch or calm the situation for the pitcher, got to go in a different direction.

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
I dont like hearing that there were alot of errors. Hopefully they are the jittery/youngen errors that go away when guys settle into the season and not the persistent deficiencies type of errors.

Hitting woes dont typically concern me unless/until the persist. Pitching is usually also difficult to judge until a little ways into the season.

Not good hearing our backstop was shaky. Great teams typically have solid catchers in one respect or another.

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
I dont like hearing that there were alot of errors. Hopefully they are the jittery/youngen errors that go away when guys settle into the season and not the persistent deficiencies type of errors.

Hitting woes dont typically concern me unless/until the persist. Pitching is usually also difficult to judge until a little ways into the season.

Not good hearing our backstop was shaky. Great teams typically have solid catchers in one respect or another.

There were 4 errors, two committed by freshmen pitchers.

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
Rob went all freshmen last night. I guess it was to get their feet wet, sink or swim. Kinda wish he would've waited until today to do that. Let them experience the atmosphere before tossing them in the pool.

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa

There were 4 errors, two committed by freshmen pitchers.
Word

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
I’m no expert, but last night did not surprise me at all. We’ve never played really well the first couple of weeks under Holliday. Not defending it, but it appears to kind of be what it is at this point. Everyone gets excited for baseball season, we play poorly, people get pissed, question the direction of the program, yada yada yada.... But the results speak for themselves. 3 conference championships and 3 regional championships in 7 years while recruiting to HS level facilities is nothing to sneeze at. And with O’Brate, I think we’re about to see us go to another level, even though I don’t really know what to expect out of this years team.

Lots of new faces, it will take a little time to gel. So the errors aren’t a big red flag to me, yet.

The way things went is exactly why I was questioning Walton a little about his decision to go with Osmond to start. These guys were feasting on HS hitters less than a year ago, and being thrown into that environment last night against seasoned D1 hitters is tough.

With that said, what Davis did last night was extremely impressive.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
Last night we saw 3 freshman pitchers who are going to be very good. Osmond and Davis have elite level arms. The freshman CF Trendle is a stud. Polcovich and Thompson are gamers. Huey needs to cut down on the strikeouts in the lead off spot, but he did make the pitcher work by throwing 18 pitches in his first two at bats. McCusker, Hewitt, and Cabbiness are going to have to hit. If they struggle Josh has some young hitters who are going to play. This team has a lot of upside and will be very good in time.