Baseball vs Eastern Michigan

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 12, 2004
Stillwater, OK
Any shortstop that could actually field a ball would be an improvement. Dobbs is only hitting .125 so it isn't his hitting that has him in the lineup. Ugly, ugly infield play all weekend.

Feb 4, 2004
We don't challenge hitters enough.

In even counts we nibble with the fastball then throw way too many sliders and change ups and get behind in the count.

Then we have to go fat on minus count pitches and get hammered.

We score 2 runs then Reza comes out soft to the 1st 2 hitters, gets behind, loses confidence then eventually can't even throw strikes with his fastball. That tone was set by pitch selection.

On the game winning hit, Battenfield threw their catcher a fat off speed pitch. That guy is a .180 hitter and had shown to have the slowest bat on the team. We sped his bat up and gave him a chance.

It goes back to Rob forcing his pitchers to pitch like he did instead of pitching the way they pitch best.

Only a select few pitchers can maintain confidence when forced to pitch the way we do, pitching backwards, nibbling and having to deal with pitching behind in the count a lot.

The guys that can handle it have a tremendous amount of success, but beyond your best couple pitchers, most college guys can't handle that style of pitching. At least not for a couple of years.
+1000

We've had one guy over the last several years that could and did go out and blow people away with a 100 mph+ fastball, was our primary closer, and we let him sit in the bullpen while we nibbled and dribbled a Regional away.

Told me all I need to know.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2012
+1000

We've had one guy over the last several years that could and did go out and blow people away with a 100 mph+ fastball, was our primary closer, and we let him sit in the bullpen while we nibbled and dribbled a Regional away.

Told me all I need to know.
The way he is killing it in the bigs makes me wonder why we didn't use him more than we did. Seemed like we didn't use him much at all.

Jun 14, 2017
Texas
I don’t remember what it was then. Used as a true closer therefore didn’t get as many innings (looks like he pitched an inning at a time-23 appearances is a lot)? As you pointed out his numbers were definitely solid and walks didn’t appear to be a major problem.

Jun 14, 2017
Texas
I understand that we have four pitchers out. But those 4 were primarily starters. It is mind boggling that we apparently haven’t even remotely developed a bullpen that can get people out. Not all of the remaining pitchers are Freshman. Several have been in the program.

The fact that we can’t piece together a decent performance against teams like Eastern Michigan is just plain bad.

Those four could not have pitched complete games every time out. Where’s the development of the entire staff?

Combine that with abysmal performances at the plate and keystone cop defense and this is what you get......bad baseball.

You’re absolutely right that there’s several pitchers on staff that should be pitching better than they are. This pitching staff could be completely different with the three injured players and Standlee. You could narrow your staff down to Teel, Elliott, Heasley, Scott, Standlee, Lienhard, Varela, and Stone. That sounds pretty good. The plan before the year was for Teel to be the Friday night guy but all this shuffling has occurred because of injuries/issues. With the above players as your starters, relievers, and closer Battenfield, Basso, etc. could develop in less meaningful innings. We still need to do much better with what we have.

Last edited: