Baseball vs DBU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
http://okstate.com/news/2018/3/13/around-the-horn-with-cowboy-baseball.aspx

Oklahoma State dropped its first three-game weekend series at home last weekend against Eastern Michigan; the Cowboys took the first game of the series but late-inning rallies by the Eagles led to losses on Saturday and Sunday. Dallas Baptist takes a trip up I-35 for a midweek game today at Allie P. Reynolds Stadium before the Pokes conclude their seven-game homestand this weekend with games against Seton Hall (Friday and Sunday) and Missouri State (Saturday).

Highlights and Notes
  • Colin Simpson leads OSU in eight offensive categories, including batting average (.321) and RBIs (13). The junior was 7-for-18 (.389) with a homer, two doubles and four RBIs in four games last week.
  • Andrew Rosa leads the team in runs with 15 and on-base percentage at .473. He also ranks seventh in the NCAA in hit by pitches with eight.
    • Freshman Dylan Gardner earned his first-career start at second base on Saturday against Eastern Michigan and went 1-for-2 with two RBIs.
    • First baseman Christian Funk led OSU at the plate last week as he hit .412 (7-for-17) over the four games with two doubles, a homer and six RBIs. He posted a .706 slugging percentage and .474 on-base percentage.
    • Carson Teel leads the Cowboys with a 1.45 ERA and three saves.
    • OSU boasts three regulars hitting .300 or better on the season — Simpson, Rosa (.308) and Matt Kroon (.300).

• Big 12/National Spotlight
    • Teel ranks third in the Big 12 in ERA with his 1.45 mark. He is also tied for third in saves with three, which matches his output from last season. He is holding opponents to a .175 batting average, which ranks second in the conference, and his 25 strikeouts are tied for sixth.
    • Jonathan Heasley is tied for third in the league in strikeouts with 28 after recording seven last week against EMU. He has had six or more strikeouts in each of his four starts this season.
    • Rosa is tied for third in the Big 12 with two triples, while Simpson is tied for seventh in the league in doubles with six.

• Up Next
    • OSU hosts Dallas Baptist today at 3 p.m. at Reynolds Stadium.
    • The Patriots are 8-6 on the season, but 0-4 in road games thus far. They are coming off a series victory against Oral Roberts.
    • DBU's pitching staff has 140 strikeouts through 14 games this season. Its 10.3 strikeouts per nine innings ranks No. 20 in the country.
    • The Patriots also rank No. 12 in the nation in doubles per game with 2.5 per game.
    • Oklahoma State is 11-4 in the all-time series against DBU, including a perfect 4-0 mark under head coach Josh Holliday.

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
cowboys in a jam. 1 out, bases loaded. top 7. Boone misplayed a soft liner to center and 2 walks

cowboyfanatic

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2010
oklahoma city, OK
This season is getting muddied up quick... when we hit we can't pitch, when we pitch well we can't hit. The bull pen has been a lot rougher than I anticipated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
Wow, the shine is completely off of Josh Holiday and the seat warmer has been turned on. Need to exceed expectations in conference play. At a loss as to how we got so bad so fast.

Oct 30, 2007
Wow, the shine is completely off of Josh Holiday and the seat warmer has been turned on. Need to exceed expectations in conference play. At a loss as to how we got so bad so fast.
Nope. We're less than two years off a CWS appearance. I think it's getting difficult to recruit to the promise of a brand new stadium that never materializes. We need to find a way to get it built.

Jun 14, 2017
Texas

Tap the brakes. We finished in the top 2 of the big 12 his first 4 years (2 supers and almost won it all 2 years ago) and won the Big 12 tournament as the 8th seed last year (which was arguably as impressive/rewarding as the CWS run). We’ve had some bad breaks with injuries and the draft the last 2 years. If Elliott, Scott, and Standlee are mixed in with Teel, Heasley, Lienhard, Varela, and Basso a lot of these pitchers who are struggling aren’t playing and our staff would be top notch. The hitting has been below average the last few years and needs to improve. .275 is average/solid and we’ve been in the .260’s (even worse so far this year). Texas Tech hits .300 every year...If McCain and Benge had come back and our 3 recruits who went high in the draft get to campus we’d have a stacked lineup (ifs and buts I know). Definitely have to figure out how to develop what we have but Coach Holliday has been great and is a perfect fit. Also Walton had the best pitching staff in the conference for 4 straight years. We’ve just had some bad luck with personnel and baseball is tough. I follow the program extremely close and can see the factors that have combined to make things the way they currently are. Doesn’t make it less frustrating but there are some legitimate explanations that some won’t see if they don’t follow closely. I trust Walton (go look at previous years stats). His track record speaks for itself and injuries have wrecked key pieces of this staff. I do think we need to either recruit better hitters (that won’t go in the draft) or change some of our hitting philosophy because we have been below average at hitting even going back to our CWS run (pitching was that good to take us that far).

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I know it is early but it has been ugly! Btw this was their first road win of the season. What was particularly frustrating tonight is watching and listening to the game you would of thought it was a home game for dbu. They were the confident team, OSU not.

Jun 14, 2017
Texas
I know it is early but it has been ugly! Btw this was their first road win of the season. What was particularly frustrating tonight is watching and listening to the game you would of thought it was a home game for dbu. They were the confident team, OSU not.

They’re a top 25 team so not nearly as embarrassing as this past weekend. This past weekend was a huge blow to our record and RPI.