Baseball Summary

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
Updated: I was doing some comparisons to last season. Through the first 16 games we have the same record as 2019 at 11-5. The seasons breakdowns are almost identical with different opponents. Let's hope the BYU series was the spark this team needed to start pulling away.

Things to note through the same point in the 2 seasons:

2019 quality wins in Quadrant 1: (1) Michigan
2020 quality wins in Quadrant 1: (1) Texas A&M

2019 wins in Quadrant 2: (5) Little Rock, Wright State x2, Wichita State, USC
2020 wins in Quadrant 2: (5) GCU, ASU, BYU x3

2019 bad losses in Quadrants 3 & 4: (3) UTRGV, Iowa x2
2020 bad losses in Quadrants 3 & 4: (1) Missouri State

2019 RPI through 16 games: 28
2020 RPI through 16 games: 17 (+9 from Monday)

There re 6 non-conference games remaining before conference starts play:
Saint Louis x2 - RPI: 170
Fresno State x3 - RPI: 189
Dallas Baptist - RPI: 41 (tough road game)

In 2019 the Cowboys started conference play at 12-7
The Cowboys should be able to start conference play this year around 16-6, maybe 17-5
(And as @oklapokes pointed out, there are 6 more non-con games during conference play. Wichita State x2, DBU, ORU x2 & Central Arkansas)

Last thing - I know it's early, and the RPI data is not fully connected yet, but here are some head scratcher's from Warren Nolan predictions. After a few weekends in conference play these will change.

OSU swept by TCU in O'Brate
OSU swept by TTU in O'Brate
OSU swept by KSU in Manhattan (RPI 104)
OSU swept by WVU in Morgantown

There is no way the Cowboys go 0-12 in those 4 series.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2003
morgantown, wv
I was doing some comparisons to last season. Through the first 15 games we have the same record as 2019 at 10-5. The seasons breakdowns are almost identical with different opponents. Let's hope the BYU series was the spark this team needed to start pulling away.

Things to note though the same point in the 2 seasons:

2019 RPI through 15 games: 28
2020 RPI through 15 games: 17 (+9 from Monday)

There re 6 non-conference games remaining:

In 2019 the Cowboys finished non-conference at 12-7
The Cowboys should be able to finish non-conference play this year around 14-7, maybe 15-6

Last thing - I know it's early, and the RPI data is not fully connected yet, but here are some head scratcher's from Warren Nolan predictions. After a few weekends in conference play these will change.

Nice synopsis, thanks. You forgot the figure in the non-con games with Wichita State (home/away), Oral Roberts, and Central Ark.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
I was doing some comparisons to last season. Through the first 15 games we have the same record as 2019 at 10-5. The seasons breakdowns are almost identical with different opponents. Let's hope the BYU series was the spark this team needed to start pulling away.

Things to note though the same point in the 2 seasons:

2019 RPI through 15 games: 28
2020 RPI through 15 games: 17 (+9 from Monday)

There re 6 non-conference games remaining:

In 2019 the Cowboys finished non-conference at 12-7
The Cowboys should be able to finish non-conference play this year around 14-7, maybe 15-6

We’re actually 11-5 right now. Checked warren Nolan last night and we’re 17th in the RPI there, but they’re totally missing the score of our Thursday game w BYU. Totally weird, so they have us at 10-5 instead of 11-5. Very strange oversight on their website.

As far as the projections, they always project a sweep no matter what. It’s dumb.

Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
We’re actually 11-5 right now. Checked warren Nolan last night and we’re 17th in the RPI there, but they’re totally missing the score of our Thursday game w BYU. Totally weird, so they have us at 10-5 instead of 11-5. Very strange oversight on their website.

As far as the projections, they always project a sweep no matter what. It’s dumb.
You're right, Ptak. I emailed their corrections address earlier but forgot to update our win column.

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
If our pitching this weekend was more indicative of this potential of the arms we have rather than the ineffectiveness of BYU's offense, we'll have a pretty salty bunch by the back end of the season. All three starters were solid, Leeper is a legit closer. It's starting to look more and more like Standlee will factor more into the pen than the rotation. Another couple of reliable arms in the pen would be nice.

Defense looked better this weekend, but has shown some inconsistency early on. Hopefully those are just wrinkles that can be ironed out.

Theres a lot of good contact in the bats and some decent pop. There again there have been inconsistencies so far.

Good pitching buys your offense alot more flexibility in terms of time to get in a groove and surviving fluctuations in production. The arms we have definitely have potential, just a matter of if they can put it together or if it's going to be an up and down ride all season.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
If our pitching this weekend was more indicative of this potential of the arms we have rather than the ineffectiveness of BYU's offense, we'll have a pretty salty bunch by the back end of the season. All three starters were solid, Leeper is a legit closer. It's starting to look more and more like Standlee will factor more into the pen than the rotation. Another couple of reliable arms in the pen would be nice.

Defense looked better this weekend, but has shown some inconsistency early on. Hopefully those are just wrinkles that can be ironed out.

Theres a lot of good contact in the bats and some decent pop. There again there have been inconsistencies so far.

Good pitching buys your offense alot more flexibility in terms of time to get in a groove and surviving fluctuations in production. The arms we have definitely have potential, just a matter of if they can put it together or if it's going to be an up and down ride all season.

If we can trust our freshman starters on the weekend to keep us in games, having standlee be our ‘long relief’ pitcher, ala Vince wheeland, makes a lot of sense. Having a guy you can trust to go to in tight games in the 6th or 7th before leeper comes in to shut it down, would be huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa

If we can trust our freshman starters on the weekend to keep us in games, having standlee be our ‘long relief’ pitcher, ala Vince wheeland, makes a lot of sense. Having a guy you can trust to go to in tight games in the 6th or 7th before leeper comes in to shut it down, would be huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed

Aug 1, 2008
Updated: I was doing some comparisons to last season. Through the first 16 games we have the same record as 2019 at 11-5. The seasons breakdowns are almost identical with different opponents. Let's hope the BYU series was the spark this team needed to start pulling away.

Things to note through the same point in the 2 seasons:

2019 RPI through 16 games: 28
2020 RPI through 16 games: 17 (+9 from Monday)

There re 6 non-conference games remaining before conference starts play:

In 2019 the Cowboys started conference play at 12-7
The Cowboys should be able to start conference play this year around 16-6, maybe 17-5
(And as @oklapokes pointed out, there are 6 more non-con games during conference play. Wichita State x2, DBU, ORU x2 & Central Arkansas)

I agree!

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
It may be odd to say considering the last three games—but to me the question mark is still on the mound. We have talented hitters up and down the lineup (two who are currently injured). We’re going to hit. But will we be consistent on the mound?

I’m not taking anything away from Campbell or Osmond, they were great this weekend. To me, the question is can they do that against Tech? OU? UT? Etc.

But it’s gonna be a fun ride. This is a talented group.

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
It may be odd to say considering the last three games—but to me the question mark is still on the mound. We have talented hitters up and down the lineup (two who are currently injured). We’re going to hit. But will we be consistent on the mound?

I’m not taking anything away from Campbell or Osmond, they were great this weekend. To me, the question is can they do that against Tech? OU? UT? Etc.

But it’s gonna be a fun ride. This is a talented group.
It's definitely a fair question. How far we go in postseason will be the development of the entire staff....not just the Campbell and Osmond. We have a lot youth, and very little veterans. The stuff isn't the question...we have a lot of live arms, but for some the question is can they control it. Guys like John Kelly, Zach Cable, Tucker Elliott have good arms but can they harness their pitches. I'm more worried about Texas Tech and OU's pitching staffs. OU might have the best staff in the nation. Texas hasn't impressed me up to this point.