Baseball Recruiting

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 21, 2008
I follow HS baseball a little bit in OK. I did not see many D1 prospects this year from the teams I saw. I think the Jenks SS is coming? Saw him a couple times and did not like his arrogant swagger. Has a cannon from SS though.

Are there any elite prospects from Ok or draftable kids? Thanks!

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
I follow HS baseball a little bit in OK. I did not see many D1 prospects this year from the teams I saw. I think the Jenks SS is coming? Saw him a couple times and did not like his arrogant swagger. Has a cannon from SS though.

Are there any elite prospects from Ok or draftable kids? Thanks!
I don't think there are as many draft prospects in the 2018 Oklahoma class as in recent years, but there are still some kids heading to D1. We have RHP Tyler Polk from Duncan and SS Ryan Gendron from Bishop Kelly. I've seen Polk a bunch. He'll be solid for us. OU has a few OK kids, as well as Arkansas, Missouri State and Wichita State.

I assume you are talking about Bryce Osmond. He's a top 2-3 kid in the 2019 Oklahoma class and top 125 nationally. I believe we are recruiting him more as a pitcher.

In the 2019 class of OK kids, we also have RHP Kale Davis from Westmoore (top 125), OF Blake Robertson from Edmond Santa Fe, and Gage Gaunt from Clinton, who's more under the radar but the coaches really like. Davis looks like a possible draft casualty, and perhaps Osmond as well. That OK class has kids going to OU, South Carolina, TCU, Wichita State.

The 2020 Oklahoma class has Nate Wohlgemuth from Owasso, who's top 10 nationally and Fulton from Mustang who is top 100 and already committed to Vanderbilt. I'd imagine both of those kids will be high draft picks. Wohlgemuth throws close to 100 and Fulton is a big lefthander, ala Mitchell Stone.

We have Trevor Martin from Asher (RHP) in that 2020 class, as well as Dominic Johnson from Edmond Santa Fe (OF), who are both top 150ish. We also have Conner Gore from Enid (SS). IIRC, his dad is Brad Gore, who played at OSU.

The 2021 class looks pretty solid as well. Daugherty from Kingfisher and Brumbaugh from Edmond Santa Fe are both being recruited pretty heavily by TCU, from what I've heard. I think both really like OSU.

IMO, the 2020/2021 range will be when we really start to see the new stadium pay off in recruiting.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
I don't think there are as many draft prospects in the 2018 Oklahoma class as in recent years, but there are still some kids heading to D1. We have RHP Tyler Polk from Duncan and SS Ryan Gendron from Bishop Kelly. I've seen Polk a bunch. He'll be solid for us. OU has a few OK kids, as well as Arkansas, Missouri State and Wichita State.

I assume you are talking about Bryce Osmond. He's a top 2-3 kid in the 2019 Oklahoma class and top 125 nationally. I believe we are recruiting him more as a pitcher.

In the 2019 class of OK kids, we also have RHP Kale Davis from Westmoore (top 125), OF Blake Robertson from Edmond Santa Fe, and Gage Gaunt from Clinton, who's more under the radar but the coaches really like. Davis looks like a possible draft casualty, and perhaps Osmond as well. That OK class has kids going to OU, South Carolina, TCU, Wichita State.

The 2020 Oklahoma class has Nate Wohlgemuth from Owasso, who's top 10 nationally and Fulton from Mustang who is top 100 and already committed to Vanderbilt. I'd imagine both of those kids will be high draft picks. Wohlgemuth throws close to 100 and Fulton is a big lefthander, ala Mitchell Stone.

We have Trevor Martin from Asher (RHP) in that 2020 class, as well as Dominic Johnson from Edmond Santa Fe (OF), who are both top 150ish. We also have Conner Gore from Enid (SS). IIRC, his dad is Brad Gore, who played at OSU.

The 2021 class looks pretty solid as well. Daugherty from Kingfisher and Brumbaugh from Edmond Santa Fe are both being recruited pretty heavily by TCU, from what I've heard. I think both really like OSU.

IMO, the 2020/2021 range will be when we really start to see the new stadium pay off in recruiting.

The 2019 class looks like it's full of studs, hopefully we can get most of them to campus.

For the 2018 class, could you update us on possible JUCO guys who could come in and give us immediate help for the 2019 season?

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
The 2019 class looks like it's full of studs, hopefully we can get most of them to campus.

For the 2018 class, could you update us on possible JUCO guys who could come in and give us immediate help for the 2019 season?
Yeah, 2019 looks like it could take a big hit similar to 2017, but you never know. Bowman is rated lower than Stone was at this point, etc.

Here are the JUCO guys I know about for 2018:

*Jake Northern, INF, Connors - .360, .468 OBP, .635 SLG, 12 HR, 59 RBI

*Dayton Provost, INF, Ventura County, CA - .316, .400 OBP, .411 SLG, 2 HR, 31 RBI

*Cross Factor, INF, Cowley - .374, .456 OBP, .615 SLG, 9 HR, 60 RBI

*Logan Gragg, RHP, Connors - 13 Apps, 6-0, 48.0 IP, 56 K, 13 BB, 2.06 ERA

*Brayden Belden, LHP, Seminole - 17 Apps, 3-1, 3 SV, 36.2 IP, 51 K, 15 BB, 4.17 ERA

*Jake Lyons, RHP, Weatherford - 14 App, 8-2, 80 IP, 104 K, 26 BB, 3.14 ERA

A couple of notes from following these guys throughout the season:

Northern's numbers are down from last year (.417, 19 HR, 100 RBI), but still really solid. (On a separate note, Connors has a sophomore who's hit 26 HRs with a .971 SLG. I can't find that he's signed anywhere.)

Provost signed with UCLA out of HS and transferred out. His numbers didn't look great early in the season, but he's come on strong at the end.

IIRC, Factor is a lefthanded bat and a big, corner INF type. (Assuming that we don't get Kroon back, I'm curious to see if any of these JUCO INFs can play SS. I'm guessing Provost is the most likely as I think Northern is also more suited to the corner spots. I think we're pretty solid at the corners, but SS could be a ? next year.)

Lyons won 8 games on a team that only won 27.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Yeah, 2019 looks like it could take a big hit similar to 2017, but you never know. Bowman is rated lower than Stone was at this point, etc.

*Dayton Provost, INF, Ventura County, CA - .316, .400 OBP, .411 SLG, 2 HR, 31 RBI

*Brayden Belden, LHP, Seminole - 17 Apps, 3-1, 3 SV, 36.2 IP, 51 K, 15 BB, 4.17 ERA

Northern's numbers are down from last year (.417, 19 HR, 100 RBI), but still really solid. (On a separate note, Connors has a sophomore who's hit 26 HRs with a .971 SLG. I can't find that he's signed anywhere.)

Provost signed with UCLA out of HS and transferred out. His numbers didn't look great early in the season, but he's come on strong at the end.

IIRC, Factor is a lefthanded bat and a big, corner INF type. (Assuming that we don't get Kroon back, I'm curious to see if any of these JUCO INFs can play SS. I'm guessing Provost is the most likely as I think Northern is also more suited to the corner spots. I think we're pretty solid at the corners, but SS could be a ? next year.)

Thanks a bunch for the updates. Insightful as usual.

SS does concern me too, as I don't see Kroon returning. Of course it would really help if we get Morrill to campus, but that may not happen. I'm still intrigued by Hewitt though. I still think he could be the answer with some extra development.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom

You and I have discussed this before, I think Josh and staff do a phenomenal job of recruiting to their plan A and selling the program to everyone but at what cost. IOW - if you have little chance of getting your plan A to campus but another guy who wants to be here commits somewhere else, your plan B aae, in the mean time, did you really maximize your effort.
I know kids will more often than not tell a coach what they want to hear regarding the draft but the reality is if a kid is in the t5 rounds he almost has to go, especially if he's not a 1st round pick.
I don't have an answer but I think it's a valid question, it just seems like (It might be this way everywhere I can't say) maybe too much time is spent on the kids who are in question re: the draft, it's not every year a guy(s) you want is sitting waiting for an offer at the end of the recruiting cycle.

Is Lyons any relation to the former Poke?

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Thanks a bunch for the updates. Insightful as usual.

SS does concern me too, as I don't see Kroon returning. Of course it would really help if we get Morrill to campus, but that may not happen. I'm still intrigued by Hewitt though. I still think he could be the answer with some extra development.
Good call on both. I forgot about Morrill.

I liked Hewitt in extended time this weekend. He's a smooth fielder and he seems to be more contact oriented at the plate (we need a few more of those guys, IMO). Obviously 2nd and SS are not quite the same and you'd like your SS to have a bit more pop in the modern game, but at least he's a known quantity.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tanner Griffin and/or Tanner Sparks might also be in the SS mix in the fall if we have to replace Kroon. Last I heard, they still hadn't decided whether Sparks will pitch or play the field.

Last edited:

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
You and I have discussed this before, I think Josh and staff do a phenomenal job of recruiting to their plan A and selling the program to everyone but at what cost. IOW - if you have little chance of getting your plan A to campus but another guy who wants to be here commits somewhere else, your plan B aae, in the mean time, did you really maximize your effort.
I know kids will more often than not tell a coach what they want to hear regarding the draft but the reality is if a kid is in the t5 rounds he almost has to go, especially if he's not a 1st round pick.
I don't have an answer but I think it's a valid question, it just seems like (It might be this way everywhere I can't say) maybe too much time is spent on the kids who are in question re: the draft, it's not every year a guy(s) you want is sitting waiting for an offer at the end of the recruiting cycle.

Is Lyons any relation to the former Poke?
Can't disagree with any of that.

The other piece that goes along with it is that teams are starting to recruit kids much earlier - i.e. Bowman, our top recruit in the 2019 class, committed as an 8th grader, IIRC. Obviously, the only kids you are going to offer that early are can't miss type prospects - to the extent that you can identify that - and, yet, those are the guys you are most likely to lose to the draft. Sort of a Catch 22, it seems.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Can't disagree with any of that.

The other piece that goes along with it is that teams are starting to recruit kids much earlier - i.e. Bowman, our top recruit in the 2019 class, committed as an 8th grader, IIRC. Obviously, the only kids you are going to offer that early are can't miss type prospects - to the extent that you can identify that - and, yet, those are the guys you are most likely to lose to the draft. Sort of a Catch 22, it seems.
Yep, I don't have an answer, just a question :unsure:
The money and leverage for rounds 2-5 for a hs kid, juco or even a jr is pretty much gone once they sign up and that's why I admire what the staff has been able to accomplish considering the losses they have suffered to the draft. If you are R1 material you will always have leverage but think back to just last year, put the Usleton kid in this lineup and it changes it dramatically, put Benge back in the lineup and it lengthens it considerably.

College bsktball and baseball have got to be the toughest sports as it pertains to putting together a starting lineup and trying to maintain any type of depth.

Mar 11, 2006

A 2020 recruit that I hope OSU has an eye on is first baseman Cooper McMurray. He just finished his sophomore year at Bishop Kelley (5A state champs). He hit over .400 with 6 HRs. Last year as a freshman he also hit over .400. Big kid,legit 6’3” and 225 pounds.
His older brother signed with ORU and will be a freshman there next year. Cooper is interested in OSU.

Dec 21, 2008
2020=new stadium
Anyone know how much longer the Wizard wants to coach? He took a whole lot of verbal barrage this year. Some questionable calls from us couch coaches, but our pitchers just weren’t that talented at times

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
2020=new stadium
Anyone know how much longer the Wizard wants to coach? He took a whole lot of verbal barrage this year. Some questionable calls from us couch coaches, but our pitchers just weren’t that talented at times
Hopefully not any time soon.

Some will argue that he underachieved. I'd argue that he did the best he could with what he had given the injuries and still developing talent. TCU also dealt with a couple of pitching injuries, but nothing like what we faced. Ask them if they'd trade places with us. TT also lost their own Jensen Elliott early in the year. Where did they finish relative to expectations?

Some on here seem to have short memories and forget that prior to our pitching rotation turning into a MASH unit in 2017, Walton's staffs routinely finished top 2-3 in the league in all the categories you want to be good in. Next year, he should have a full deck (or close to it) for the first time in 2 years, and I won't be surprised if the pitching numbers return to what they once were. I suppose it's possible that Walton just forgot how to be a good pitching coach, but I think the far simpler explanation is that any pitching staff is going to struggle when you're missing 2/3 to possibly your entire weekend rotation.

And, FWIW, that middling pitching coach just coached his third walk-on/lower level recruit to First Team All Big 12.

Not meaning to jump on your post and none of that means the guy is perfect or beyond reproach, but it's not for nothing that pretty much every other team in the country would take him in a heartbeat if they could.

And I'm not sure I totally agree with what you say about talent. If you mean that we were sometimes at a disadvantage when we had guys who wouldn't be aces in a normal year with a healthy team throwing against other teams' #1s, then sure. But you don't get to pitch at OSU if you aren't talented.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
2020=new stadium
People are clueless. We had starters hurt - -2 of them. One of them helped get us to the College World Series two years ago. Stone was a bigtime freshman and he didn't even play. I mean cmon people. Wake up. Some of our fans on here are flat ridiculous.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Good post, Takeout Slide. People just don't know how many pitching injuries we had. Elliot, Stone, wasn't there another pitcher who would have pitched a ton get hurt also?

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Good post, Takeout Slide. People just don't know how many pitching injuries we had. Elliot, Stone, wasn't there another pitcher who would have pitched a ton get hurt also?
Parker Scott was in the weekend rotation before he got hurt in 2017. Would have been our #1 or 2 this year.

Brett Standlee was the other who was expected to be a big contributor this year. He was ineligible.

Dec 21, 2008
Wasn’t referring to talent necessarily. Moreso on the high ERAs, tons of walks, missing catchers target etc. Sometimes you have an off day or can’t find the strike zone. I’m saying for an overview on the season we had several guys seem to not reach their potential. I know we have several out and hurt.

I wasn’t bad mouthing them