Baseball Commit Tyler Polk Named Oklahoma Gatorade POY

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
I know he was a big fish in a small pond but good grief these are gaudy numbers:

A right-handed pitcher, he was 10-1 with a 0.48 ERA and 100 strikeouts in 54 2/3 innings. He allowed just 22 hits and 13 walks. At the plate, Polk batted .512 with two home runs, 36 RBIs, 36 runs, 16 stolen bases and a .609 on-base percentage.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
I know he was a big fish in a small pond but good grief these are gaudy numbers:

A right-handed pitcher, he was 10-1 with a 0.48 ERA and 100 strikeouts in 54 2/3 innings. He allowed just 22 hits and 13 walks. At the plate, Polk batted .512 with two home runs, 36 RBIs, 36 runs, 16 stolen bases and a .609 on-base percentage.
FWIW, his pond wasn't too small, at least as far as HS ball goes. He played 5A baseball in Oklahoma so competed against teams like Bishop Kelley and Shawnee. In fact, his junior year, Duncan made the final 8 for the first time in forever and got knocked out by Shawnee who went undefeated that year and won their third straight state championship and were ranked #1 in the nation by USA Today.

I worked in Duncan during this kid's sophomore and junior years and saw him several times. He's a stud and could legitimately play two ways.

Could be an immediate impact arm in our rotation or the pen for 2019, if we get him to campus.
Edit: IMO, I would be a bit surprised if he goes high enough to sign. The nice thing - assuming we get a lot of arms back - is that he shouldn't have to be relied upon until he's ready.

Last edited:

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Just a guess. I haven't seen him listed on a lot of draft prospect lists. He throws hard, but I could see some teams being scared off by his 5'10" stature.
Tim Lincecum says 'hey'

Was looking at some old stuff on past drafts a couple of days ago, Lincecum would have signed as a draft eligible soph (according to his dad and if there's one thing a guy who watches the Giants understands, it's that Lincecum's dad directed everything) for $25k more than was offered, he went back got taken by the Giants and the rest (3 wsc's) as they say, is history.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Tim Lincecum says 'hey'

Was looking at some old stuff on past drafts a couple of days ago, Lincecum would have signed as a draft eligible soph (according to his dad and if there's one thing a guy who watches the Giants understands, it's that Lincecum's dad directed everything) for $25k more than was offered, he went back got taken by the Giants and the rest (3 wsc's) as they say, is history.
You mean the Tim Lincecum who wasn't drafted until the 48th round out of HS? :D

I should make it totally clear that I have absolutely no inside info on the guy. I'd just be surprised if he doesn't end up at OSU.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
Jan 5, 2012
Tim Lincecum says 'hey'

I saw Lincecum vs. Brandon Morrow in Berkeley back in the mid 00s. I had read some hype about Lincecum, but was skeptical about the scrawny little fella. Then he struck out Allen Craig...

Lab Rat

Jan 5, 2012
Tim Lincecum says 'hey'

I didn't recall that he was drafted as a college sophomore, so I went back to look it up. You're right, he was drafted in the 42nd round (1261st pick). A year later, he was the 10th overall pick. A year after that he totaled 150 strikeouts for the Giants. A year after that, he had is first Cy Young award. And a year after that, he had his second Cy Young award. So, four years after being the 1261st pick in the 2005 draft, Lincecum became the 2nd youngest pitcher to ever win two Cy Young awards (after Roger Clemens). Amazing.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
I saw Lincecum vs. Brandon Morrow in Berkeley back in the mid 00s. I had read some hype about Lincecum, but was skeptical about the scrawny little fella. Then he struck out Allen Craig...
There were 4 players I would pay to watch and I have been blessed enough to have seen all of them on several occasions
Nolan Ryan
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Tim Lincecum

I still take in maybe 20 games a year or so but I'm talking about paying to see that guy regardless of uniform

In today's game there's really only 1 - Trout, whom I've yet to see in person which is nuts because for $33 all in (BART and all) I could see him in Oakland 9-10 times a year, maybe this year.

Back to topic, @Takeout Slide , sorry if I put you in a difficult position, I read more (optimistically) into what you posted than you intended.

Lab Rat

Jan 5, 2012
There were 4 players I would pay to watch and I have been blessed enough to have seen all of them on several occasions
Nolan Ryan
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Tim Lincecum

I still take in maybe 20 games a year or so but I'm talking about paying to see that guy regardless of uniform

In today's game there's really only 1 - Trout, whom I've yet to see in person which is nuts because for $33 all in (BART and all) I could see him in Oakland 9-10 times a year, maybe this year.

Back to topic, @Takeout Slide , sorry if I put you in a difficult position, I read more (optimistically) into what you posted than you intended.
Lincecum is obviously an unfair comparison for any high school player, but perhaps Jake Benz would be a more fitting player for Polk to emulate. Benz was only 5'9", but was excellent on on the mound and at the plate.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Lincecum is obviously an unfair comparison for any high school player, but perhaps Jake Benz would be a more fitting player for Polk to emulate. Benz was only 5'9", but was excellent on on the mound and at the plate.
One way the comparison may hold, though, is that Lincecum couldn't crack the top 40 rounds until he lit the world on fire at UW. That's sort of been my point here - that if Polk were 6"5" with those numbers posted above, he'd probably be a top 2-3 round prospect, but it seems like the smaller guys have to sign for less out of HS or go prove it for a couple years in college.

But the guy is for real. If you check my post history, I have posts about him going back for a while. He's in the low 90s and has good control of his secondary stuff, as well as being a really good athlete.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Nolan Ryan
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Tim Lincecum

No worries. I probably worded that in a way that implied I had some kind of inside info.

On a totally unrelated note, I got to see Bonds once in Atlanta when I was in grad school. Someone gave a friend and me some box seat tickets about 10 rows up right behind home plate. In other words, perfect seats to see balls and strikes. Russ Ortiz was pitching for the Braves and the game was on ESPN. It was hilarious how small the strike zone got when Bonds came up to the plate, like the ump had been told that Bonds needs to homer tonight. Sure enough, he homered twice. Guy was good enough (even without the roids) that he didn't need help from the umps.

Last edited:

Lab Rat

Jan 5, 2012
Nolan Ryan
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Tim Lincecum

That's a good list, and I was lucky enough to see all of them in person. If it doesn't throw this thread off track, I'll note that Pedro Martinez would also be on my list.

Here was the best MLB game I've ever seen in person. It's crazy to think that Colon is still pitching 20 years later...

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS199807150.shtml
Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 12.53.38 PM.png

Another memorable game that I saw in person also featured Pedro, but it turned out that Tim Hudson was the star of that one.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/OAK/OAK200308110.shtml
Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 12.58.56 PM.png

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
No worries. I probably worded that in a way that implied I had some kind of inside info.

On a totally unrelated note, I got to see Bonds once in Atlanta when I was in grad school. Someone gave a friend and me some box seat tickets about 10 rows up right behind home plate. In other words, perfect seats to see balls and strikes. Russ Ortiz was pitching for the Braves and the game was on ESPN. It was hilarious how small the strike zone got when Bonds came up to the plate, like the ump had been told that Bonds needs to homer tonight. Sure enough, he homered twice. Guy was good enough (even without the roids) that he didn't need help from the umps.
I saw Bonds play a lot, I always thought that it was the body armor that had a bigger effect on his game than the umps although you could argue chicken and egg. You couldn't go inside because he was leaning out and the ump was always on the outside shoulder so he typically wouldn't call anything on the inner 1/3rd and if you went to the zone, he had the fastest bat speed I've ever witnessed, you would pay dearly.
If he hadn't been allowed all that metal & plastic for protection he can't lean out over the plate (I saw him get hit by strikes more than once and he was awarded 1st each time) I don't think it would have materially changed his line but there is no doubt in my mind that it would have changed enough to make a dent.