Baseball - All-Access (OKState.TV) Question

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OP 9000

Administrator
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2003
Stillwater, OK
www.orangepower.com
So.. baseball is by far our most popular sport for streaming.

Have a question...

1. How many of you who subscribed last year had serious persistent problems with being able to watch the games at all?

I'm looking for anyone who just couldn't watch a game say... more than twice.

Just had my very first phone call in almost two years that it's just about un-watchable... and need to know if this is actually a serious problem or an isolated case.

bacowboy

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2004
BA
I had problems. Seems like every game I watched it would be fine until about a quarter through the game then it would freeze up. I would try to refresh, log out, and reboot my computer with no success.

OP 9000

Administrator
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2003
Stillwater, OK
www.orangepower.com
Also, follow up question...

When is was clear there was a problem... who did you contact about it?

Not being critical.. I'm genuinely curious how this managed to elude the people who could have fixed it.

We spent like $3k last year (among other things) on streaming improvements and were under the impression everything was good.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
search the baseball game threads. There are always posting about the problems

bacowboy

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2004
BA

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com

Have a question...

1. How many of you who subscribed last year had serious persistent problems with being able to watch the games at all?

Just had my very first phone call in almost two years that it's just about un-watchable... and need to know if this is actually a serious problem or an isolated case.

I had problems with streaming the video for about 75% - 80% of the home games last year.

Here's the specifics. When I had problems - I would pull up the video and it would work well for about 3 - 5 minutes. Then it would begin to get choppy and slow. Then it would get into a rhythm of buffering for about 3-6 seconds, then playing for about 5 seconds, then more buffering for about 3-6 more seconds, then playing again for about 5 seconds, and on and on,etc. It would always reach a rhythm.

I called three times during the year their customer service. It ended the same way every time. They would say nothing was wrong with the feed and that it must be my computer. I'm not real tech savvy, but I must say that considering the amount of people on this board who have consistent problems with All-Access I really don't believe it was my computer.

I was livid after all 3 phone calls because they just literally dismiss it as my computer's problem when I know it's not just me. So, I gave up for the year and would just listen to the radio broadcast thru All-Access.

Anyway, here's the gist. All-Access it a pretty crappy product. And, considering how much $$$ you guys have dumped into it, I think you have every right to raise some hell with them. They will probably just blame our computers just like they did with me. Please, please, please don't give in to that bullcrap.
I would love to be able to watch all of the home games I can't make it to. Heck, I'd be willing to pay $30 a month for that, instead of the $10 we pay now....

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Also, follow up question...

When is was clear there was a problem... who did you contact about it?

Not being critical.. I'm genuinely curious how this managed to elude the people who could have fixed it.

We spent like $3k last year (among other things) on streaming improvements and were under the impression everything was good.

Also, about the improvements in camera angle. When my streaming did work, the camera from center field was very annoying any time there was any wind at all. It would shake like crazy, making it unwatchable.... Just throwing that out there.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
IIRC, streaming was better for me last year than in the past. I don't remember having many problems. Appreciate the efforts from all who make it possible to see the games. Hopefully whatever kinks remain can get ironed out.

It is really cool when it works, I can say that.
+1. I've been away from Oklahoma for 10 years and haven't missed many games thanks to the streaming video.

Nov 14, 2010

Have a question...

I watched a couple games last year and had absolutely 0 issues in terms of buffering.

It was markedly better last year in those terms, although our streaming feeds are still far inferior to other schools.

I get the service to be able to see the road games though. I only had to view a handful of home games, because I was either at the games or too busy to watch.

Other schools have different camera angles, clear and clean audio and it's very similar to a broadcast you would see on tv.

Ours, on the other hand, just seems like a camera or two and a radio that is plugged in to KSPI.

At the very least, run a cable to Rex so you can get a direct feed from him.

Rex broadcasts via a POTS system/plain old phone system which is terrible quality. Embarrassing for a college broadcast of any kind.
So, when you're plugging in a radio, you're getting that horrible quality, instead of a direct feed which would give you perfect audio.

Plus, the feed has static in it a lot as well.

Plus, starting last year, if your computers resolution is not at a ridiculously high number you only get a half screen. I plug a laptop into a big screen and my big screen doesn't take that high of a resolution.

I talked to CBS and they said that's how it is set up.

I assumed there is nothing OSU can do about it.

OP 9000

Administrator
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2003
Stillwater, OK
www.orangepower.com
Well, the bad news is that this baseball season not a whole lot is going to change.

The only thing I can guarantee will happen is that I'll try lowering the encoding bitrate a tad to see if that improves stability. But I'm pretty sure the issue isn't on the encoding end. I'll try to pay more attention on here and let me know if the problem persists. CBS has supposedly made improvements to this whole system since last season, we'll see if any of them help.

Things I've asked for that may or may not happen:
I've asked them to secure that outfield camera... straighten it... and fix the gamma. Totally aware of that problem.
I've asked for major improvements in the audio quality at Stillwater Radio. Have no idea if that will happen this season, next season, or ever. But I've asked.

On the GOOD news side:

This should be the last year for these issues.

Currently under construction is our video production area in the west end zone. Studio, offices, and control room. Fiber is being run to each of the venues.. and NEXT year we should be producing television quality video for all of our sports out of the control room, and streaming from there. 2014-2015 should see a massive, massive improvement in not just the quality... but the quantity of content you see from us not just streaming... but in-venue and on Youtube.

So, going to try to make it better this year... but NEXT year I can promise some improvement. :)

OP 9000

Administrator
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2003
Stillwater, OK
www.orangepower.com
I have got it the past 4 years and I seem to recall last year being better than previous years. I'm sure there were some problems but I do not recall a consistent problem.
Yeah, Coach Holiday's family watches the games from all across the country, and we'd get feedback from them fairly regularly... in fact, they're the ones that made the outfield camera happen to improve the production value. But they never mentioned buffering problems or anything like that. With over 1200 subscribers... we usually get an avalanche of feedback when something really does go wrong.

bacowboy

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2004
BA
Well, the bad news is that this baseball season not a whole lot is going to change.

The only thing I can guarantee will happen is that I'll try lowering the encoding bitrate a tad to see if that improves stability. But I'm pretty sure the issue isn't on the encoding end. I'll try to pay more attention on here and let me know if the problem persists. CBS has supposedly made improvements to this whole system since last season, we'll see if any of them help.

Things I've asked for that may or may not happen:
I've asked them to secure that outfield camera... straighten it... and fix the gamma. Totally aware of that problem.
I've asked for major improvements in the audio quality at Stillwater Radio. Have no idea if that will happen this season, next season, or ever. But I've asked.

On the GOOD news side:

This should be the last year for these issues.

Currently under construction is our video production area in the west end zone. Studio, offices, and control room. Fiber is being run to each of the venues.. and NEXT year we should be producing television quality video for all of our sports out of the control room, and streaming from there. 2014-2015 should see a massive, massive improvement in not just the quality... but the quantity of content you see from us not just streaming... but in-venue and on Youtube.

So, going to try to make it better this year... but NEXT year I can promise some improvement. :)
I will say I decided to try again after canceling last year because of the issues. The reason is because listening to the broadcast is better than nothing. Having said that I watched the OSU v MU match the other day and had no issues. Hope it continues.