Barry Sanders confirmed as OSU homecoming grand marshal

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
On Tuesday, it was announced by the Oklahoma State Alumni Association that Sanders again will be involved in what’s going on at OSU. He is notorious for his avoidance of the public spotlight, but after months of efforting by OSU officials, Sanders has agreed to commemorate the 30th anniversary of his Heisman season by serving as the university’s homecoming grand marshal.

It had to be Sanders, of course. In 2018, no one else would make sense.

In a statement provided to the Tulsa World, Sanders is quoted as saying that the 1988 season “was such a special year for OSU football. The fact that I get to celebrate the 30th anniversary at homecoming with my coaches, teammates, and, of course, our fans, is very special to me.”
Link

Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Do you think there's a statute hidden somewhere of Barry that they'll unveil at Homecoming?
Barry Sanders Statue at OSU is ‘In the Works,’ Mike Gundy Says
4 weeks ago
20 Comments

Written by Kyle Boone

FRISCO, Tex. — Just one day after Barry Sanders’ 50th birthday, Mike Gundy gave his former teammate a belated birthday gift of hope by way of the media, acknowledging that erecting a statue for OSU’s lone Heisman Trophy winner is in OSU’s plans.

“It’s in the works right now,” said Gundy. “I don’t think it’ll be much longer until we have a statue of Barry up. I can’t give you a date on that because I don’t play that much of a role in that, other than I’ve thought we needed it.”

There has been more and more buzz in recent months about a Barry statue eventually coming to fruition. Although it may come as a surprise to some, it certainly shouldn’t, given that most view his 1988 season as the single best campaign in college football history.

Barry Sanders set the bar for running backs at both the college and NFL levels and it all began at Oklahoma State, so recognizing him is a no-brainer. It’s long overdue, even.

For Mike Gundy, it goes beyond just recognizing Barry Sanders and also extends into recruiting, where he believes it will make a difference.

“There’s been a lot of players at Oklahoma State that have been very very successful that we know because we’ve been around it, but the young men who we’re recruiting don’t have a clue,” said Gundy. “They only know who has played the last couple years. That’s why it’s important.”

There are no details about location of a potential statue, size or delivery timeline. Nonetheless, OSU’s lone Heisman winner will soon be enshrined into Oklahoma State’s football history forever with a molding of his body to honor him. If the football gods treat us right, we’ll get one last epic Barry pose to remember forever.

And if they treat us great, it’ll look a lot like a Heisman pose.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/barry-sanders-statue-at-osu-is-in-the-works-mike-gundy-says/

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Do you think there's a statute hidden somewhere of Barry that they'll unveil at Homecoming?
This would be an excellent time to unveil such a tribute. How awesome that would be. Of course, Barry would be honored by the statue, but would probably be somewhat uncomfortable with all of the hoopla surrounding such a ceremony.
He's such a humble, yet deserving guy.

Mar 8, 2010
Barry would have been our second Heisman winner had it not been for Earl Campbell coming off an injury season and having a great year at Texas in 1977. Terry Miller came in second and may have won it if we'd had a winning season that year.

Aug 26, 2004
Just curious, why does there need to be a statue of Barry Sanders? What about E. J. Phister, John Smith and Robin Ventura?

Mar 8, 2010
But where to you draw the line? What about Bob Kurland, Bob Fenimore, Pete Incaviglia, Yojouri Utake et. al.??? Barry won probably the most recognized honor in college sports. Let's just enjoy the decision to honor the greatest running back of all time in both college and the NFL.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
But where to you draw the line? What about Bob Kurland, Bob Fenimore, Pete Incaviglia, Yojouri Utake et. al.??? Barry won probably the most recognized honor in college sports. Let's just enjoy the decision to honor the greatest running back of all time in both college and the NFL.

All great athletes.

Barry Sanders is easily the most recognized and admired athlete to put an OSU Cowboy Jersey. Every poll of a cross section of OSU Alum, citizens of Oklahoma, citizens of the US, and sports fans worldwide would find the same result.