Barr: Spying on the Trump Campaign Did Occur

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...trump-campaign-reviewing-legality/3421411002/

"Spying on a campaign is a big deal," Barr told a Senate panel Wednesday. "I think spying did occur. The question is whether it was adequately predicated."

The department's inspector general is already conducting a review of surveillance warrants authorities used to eavesdrop on a former campaign aide, Carter Page, in October 2016. Barr has said that effort should be completed by June. Republicans in Congress have complained repeatedly that the FBI targeted Trump's campaigns for political reasons, revealing text messages between two senior officials involved in the probe who expressed their personal contempt for Trump

So far, however, investigations in Congress have not produced evidence that the extraordinary inquiry into whether Trump's campaign cooperated with Russian efforts to sway the 2016 election that put him in office were politically motivated or meant to sabotage his campaign.

Among the questions Barr said he will seek to answer is why the Trump campaign was not notified in advance by federal authorities of its examination of Russian election interference.
"I don't understand why the campaign was not advised," Barr said.
Building on his testimony a day earlier before a House committee, Barr told lawmakers Wednesday he planned to ask other Justice Department officials to examine whether the department abused its surveillance powers. He said he had not formed a view of whether the department or other intelligence agencies acted improperly, but the sensitivity of using national security tools to investigate the conduct of a political campaign required scrutiny.
While Barr said that he did not view surveillance abuse as "a problem endemic to the FBI," he suggested that there was likely "a failure among a group of leaders there."

Justice, however, has defended Barr's handling of the report, suggesting that the full document was so packed with secret grand jury information that revealing even portions of it immediately would have been impossible.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Justice, however, has defended Barr's handling of the report, suggesting that the full document was so packed with secret grand jury information that revealing even portions of it immediately would have been impossible.
If and when the report is released, the first redacted word will be enough for dims to continue crying and whining. It is old and pathetic.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Sphincters tightening at BO's and Hildabeast's lairs.

I can hear him now... Some folks got spied upon, but it was only for the good of my legacy, err the good of the country to protect me. err the sanctity of the elections.

And her... I don't think you will find any evidence of that. (Because it has all been destroyed...)

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Sooooo at what point do all the Hollywood geniuses start pulling down those tweets when Trump said he didn't believe the intelligence services?

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
well.... duh

right

Trump already told us during the campaign that he was being spied on and that Trump Tower was bugged. He promptly closed up his campaign operations in TT and moved them.

supposedly the head of the NSA (Rogers) told him....

Both Clapper and Carter had put Rogers on notice for poor performance in internal security and leadership style. Others have contended that the real reason Clapper and Carter wanted Rogers fired is because he was a whistleblower, having initiated an Inspector General (IG) investigation and subsequent report to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) Court about a sustained pattern during the Obama Administration of illegally performed searches on U.S. Persons by improperly using FISA Section 702 authorities.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Shouldn't this be one of those things that everybody regardless of party wants to know for sure. I mean the left is constantly saying that Trump is going to seize power and become a dictator, so the prudent thing would be to have the federal "police" force investigated to make sure it's completely above board......or are the Dems just afraid that THEY will be the ones exposed as the authoritarians?

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
The left still trying to control the narrative. "Spying" hints at illicit or bad behavior from the government (and Obama)....."FISA Warrants" hint at something illicit or bad from Trump. Never mind that if the warrant was unwarranted, or worse, acquired under false pretense, that is the very definition of the government illegally spying on a private citizen.

Liberal Logic 101
Trump is an authoritarian and we are in real danger of him becoming a dictator.
But at the same time, we absolutely do NOT want to investigate the agencies Trump is now in charge of to see if there is a precedent of violating peoples rights (and if so put a stop to it).