Baker Mayfield - The Man, The Myth, The Legend

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Monken had Fitzpatrick looking like an All Pro, performing at a level that should not have ever been reached. He will do wonders with Mayfield. Mayfield is very fortunate to get the best coaching this coming season. That’s never been the case in Cleveland.
Mayfield already had the best coaching. He was transformed from a walk on to first pick in the draft. Then he made a career position coach look so good they gave him a HC job. Monken is shitting his pants with giddiness at getting a talent like Mayfield. Lucky dog cause Mayfield is going to make him a HC in a couple years.

Fitz had a few good games, started hot, then lost his job. And that success was not duplicated with winston.

osuwhit

Cutting the grass and listening to Van Halen rap.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
Mayfield already had the best coaching. He was transformed from a walk on to first pick in the draft. Then he made a career position coach look so good they gave him a HC job. Monken is shitting his pants with giddiness at getting a talent like Mayfield. Lucky dog cause Mayfield is going to make him a HC in a couple years.

Fitz had a few good games, started hot, then lost his job. And that success was not duplicated with winston.
Fitz didn't lose his job. Winston returned from injury.

Mayfield had good college coaching, but there's a reason those guys aren't pro like Monken. Baker hasn't been a professional for even a year. So, he's still pretty new. Monken has a great track record. You will hope he stays as Browns OC once you see what he does with Baker. You'll probably wish he had coached at OU during Baker's time because you wouldn't have lost in the playoffs.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010

Fitz didn't lose his job. Winston returned from injury.

Mayfield had good college coaching, but there's a reason those guys aren't pro like Monken. Baker hasn't been a professional for even a year. So, he's still pretty new. Monken has a great track record. You will hope he stays as Browns OC once you see what he does with Baker. You'll probably wish he had coached at OU during Baker's time because you wouldn't have lost in the playoffs.
Actually they were running with the hot hand with Fitz Patrick, until he faltered and Winston came back. But initially Winston was on the bench when he returns from injury. Then he was the starter for a while, and then lost his job again, and then Fitz Patrick lost the job the second time and Winston kept it for the rest of the season.

Mayfield had excellent college coaching. Mayfield has already looks good under two different offensive coordinators his rookie year, so he will continue to roll with a third next season.

Why would I wish for any other OC than what Mayfield had? He is already unquestionably the best in the game in college and probably would be at the pro game too.

osuwhit

A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
Actually they were running with the hot hand with Fitz Patrick, until he faltered and Winston came back. But initially Winston was on the bench when he returns from injury. Then he was the starter for a while, and then lost his job again, and then Fitz Patrick lost the job the second time and Winston kept it for the rest of the season.

Mayfield had excellent college coaching. Mayfield has already looks good under two different offensive coordinators his rookie year, so he will continue to roll with a third next season.

Why would I wish for any other OC than what Mayfield had? He is already unquestionably the best in the game in college and probably would be at the pro game too.
Now that he has the best coach he's ever had, you will wonder what would've happened if Monken was his coach in college. You would have number 8, but you don't because Monken wasn't Mayfield's coach. So, now you'll only have a trophy that Cleveland can claim, but not OU.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Now that he has the best coach he's ever had, you will wonder what would've happened if Monken was his coach in college. You would have number 8, but you don't because Monken wasn't Mayfield's coach. So, now you'll only have a trophy that Cleveland can claim, but not OU.
He's already had the best coach he'll ever have unfortunately. And it was only for a few hyears. Luckily for him that's all that was needed to convert him from an undersized walk into #1 pick. How many of those does monken have by the way? Riley is about to have two 1st round qbs. Even though he has taken a significant decline in terms of who is coaching him, I feel like Mayfield still has enough in him to carry another OC in Cleveland. It's a tough job to qb in cleveland, but someone has to do it, right?

You'd be a choad monkey to presume any coach would have made Mayfield any better than he already was in college. There really is nothing more an OC can do for his walk on QB than to turn him into an all american, Heisman winning #1 pick. And OU would have been handicapped behind monken, Riley got them as far as that team was capable considering they had a jv defense.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor

You are correct, Kingsbury did a hell of a job, just couldn't get him to the Mahomes level.

osuwhit

A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
He's already had the best coach he'll ever have unfortunately. And it was only for a few hyears. Luckily for him that's all that was needed to convert him from an undersized walk into #1 pick. How many of those does monken have by the way? Riley is about to have two 1st round qbs. Even though he has taken a significant decline in terms of who is coaching him, I feel like Mayfield still has enough in him to carry another OC in Cleveland. It's a tough job to qb in cleveland, but someone has to do it, right?

You'd be a choad monkey to presume any coach would have made Mayfield any better than he already was in college. There really is nothing more an OC can do for his walk on QB than to turn him into an all american, Heisman winning #1 pick. And OU would have been handicapped behind monken, Riley got them as far as that team was capable considering they had a jv defense.
You’ll think choad work of his time at ou once Monken is done with him.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
@osuwhit you don’t understand, the resident sooners are setting up the fail safe position.
BM doesn’t need an OC, he is already good and getting better. If he has a better year next year, it’s because BM is great, if he does worse next year they’ll blame Monken.

osuwhit

A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
@osuwhit you don’t understand, the resident sooners are setting up the fail safe position.
BM doesn’t need an OC, he is already good and getting better. If he has a better year next year, it’s because BM is great, if he does worse next year they’ll blame Monken.
They've always had the strongest pre excuse game in all of sports.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
He'd be great next year even if mike stoops was his OC. He made a career position coach look like he was ready to take over a team. Was never even an OC before in his entire career, and a few months with Mayfield and he's a head coach. So I expect big things out of him next year regardless of OC. If it's a proven one, all the better. Mayfield is gonna make him a HC too. Lucky dog.

You’ll think choad work of his time at ou once Monken is done with him.
Yawn. Monken's first OC job was in 1998, when Riley was in high school. How many #1 picks has he coached up in those 20 years? Heismans? How many Broyles awards? There's a reason why he's been HC for 2 of his 25+ year career. So that's why he got so lucky to land this job. Mayfield already has a history of turning position coaches/coordinators into head coaches. So i bet he does it again!

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
He'd be great next year even if mike stoops was his OC. He made a career position coach look like he was ready to take over a team. Was never even an OC before in his entire career, and a few months with Mayfield and he's a head coach. So I expect big things out of him next year regardless of OC. If it's a proven one, all the better. Mayfield is gonna make him a HC too. Lucky dog.

Yawn. Monken's first OC job was in 1998, when Riley was in high school. How many #1 picks has he coached up in those 20 years? Heismans? How many Broyles awards? There's a reason why he's been HC for 2 of his 25+ year career. So that's why he got so lucky to land this job. Mayfield already has a history of turning position coaches/coordinators into head coaches. So i bet he does it again!
So, as a rookie QB, Mayfield is better and more knowledgeable than most NFL OC’s.
Amazingly and stupendously delusional.

osuwhit

A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO

I don't think he was lucky to land this job. Cleveland had their pick of the litter and they went with the cream of the crop. Baker can now take his game places it has never been to.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
So, as a rookie QB, Mayfield is better and more knowledgeable than most NFL OC’s.
Amazingly and stupendously delusional.
No, i said he'd be great even if mike stoops was his OC. Where did you get the "Mayfield is better and more knowledgeable than most NFL OC’s." from? Can you quote me on that? I'll wait.

I don't think he was lucky to land this job. Cleveland had their pick of the litter and they went with the cream of the crop. Baker can now take his game places it has never been to.
Look at you, you're saying cleveland had their pick of the litter for OCs? The laughingstock of the league could just go out and get any ole OC? My how fortunes change fast. Anyway, If that were true they'd have went and gotten a proven commodity. It sounds like you're trying to troll, Riley is a 17 years younger than monken and he already has more experience as an OC . And yet monken is the cream of the crop over all these other guys they could have went after? Trolly mctrollerson.

osuwhit

A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
No, i said he'd be great even if mike stoops was his OC. Where did you get the "Mayfield is better and more knowledgeable than most NFL OC’s." from? Can you quote me on that? I'll wait.

Look at you, you're saying cleveland had their pick of the litter for OCs? The laughingstock of the league could just go out and get any ole OC? My how fortunes change fast. Anyway, If that were true they'd have went and gotten a proven commodity. It sounds like you're trying to troll, Riley is a 17 years younger than monken and he already has more experience as an OC . And yet monken is the cream of the crop over all these other guys they could have went after? Trolly mctrollerson.
LOL they weren't the laughing stock of the league, at least you morons, once Baker got in and won a few games. Your tune has changed if you're calling them the laughing stock of the league.

Monken is proven commodity at the college level, but more importantly, he's a proven commodity at the pro level. Put the pipe down and play around with this. Or better yet, hit the pipe and take a look. It all reads the same. The stat sheet does not lie and don't forget to adjust to other categories to see where Monken's offenses have kicked ass and will kick even more ass now that he gets to mentor Baker and make him into the best QB he's ever been no matter how much it hurts sooner feelings.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/seasontype/2

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
No, i said he'd be great even if mike stoops was his OC. Where did you get the "Mayfield is better and more knowledgeable than most NFL OC’s." from? Can you quote me on that? I’ll wait.
So, you think Mike Stoops would make a good NFL OC? Or does Baker not need any coaching at the Pro level? If it is the latter, I stand on my statement. If it is the former, well I have no words.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
LOL they weren't the laughing stock of the league, at least you morons, once Baker got in and won a few games. Your tune has changed if you're calling them the laughing stock of the league.

Monken is proven commodity at the college level, but more importantly, he's a proven commodity at the pro level. Put the pipe down and play around with this. Or better yet, hit the pipe and take a look. It all reads the same. The stat sheet does not lie and don't forget to adjust to other categories to see where Monken's offenses have kicked ass and will kick even more ass now that he gets to mentor Baker and make him into the best QB he's ever been no matter how much it hurts sooner feelings.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/seasontype/2
Of course they were the laughingstock of the league. Then Mayfield comes to town and suddenly theyre watchable. Baker is making some OCs' career. But that doesnt mean they havent been the laughingstock of the league. The narrative is changing under real leadership on the field though.

3 seasons in the nfl is barely a proven commodity. They could have easily thrown money at established names like Pete Carmichael Josh Mcdaniels, or even Eric Bieniemy. It's okay they had to settle with monken. If Mayfield can succeed behind Kitchens, he'll be successful behind monken too. Whoever is his OC is going to mentor him to being the best qb he'll ever be, that's just his natural progression to keep getting better. I would be shocked at any nfl OC who isnt able to do that for him.

So, you think Mike Stoops would make a good NFL OC? Or does Baker not need any coaching at the Pro level? If it is the latter, I stand on my statement. If it is the former, well I have no words.
No.

I think Mayfield would be great at what he does in spite of whoever is at OC. Look at how well he's played as a rookie with two meh OCs, one of which was a first time coordinator in his career.

osuwhit

A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
Of course they were the laughingstock of the league. Then Mayfield comes to town and suddenly theyre watchable. Baker is making some OCs' career. But that doesnt mean they havent been the laughingstock of the league. The narrative is changing under real leadership on the field though.

3 seasons in the nfl is barely a proven commodity. They could have easily thrown money at established names like Pete Carmichael Josh Mcdaniels, or even Eric Bieniemy. It's okay they had to settle with monken. If Mayfield can succeed behind Kitchens, he'll be successful behind monken too. Whoever is his OC is going to mentor him to being the best qb he'll ever be, that's just his natural progression to keep getting better. I would be shocked at any nfl OC who isnt able to do that for him.
And Monken will be the best at it. Baker will tell you so.

osuwhit

A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
Luckily for monken he's not stuck behind someone like rudolph. He's got a real budding super star. Luckiest OC in all of the NFL.
Nothing lucky about having Ryan Fitzpatrick as your starter. All coaching skill in making in a player, all of sudden. Now that Baker has a good OC, the sky is the limit and all Sooners will soon be Monkies.