Baker Mayfield - The Man, The Myth, The Legend

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

osuwhit

Cutting the grass and listening to Van Halen rap.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
You should ask if that cop has any years of eligibility left. Your defense could never stop Baker. You’ll definitely not stop Kyler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dude, our defense couldn’t stop whoever KSU’s QB was. Your defense was also every bit as pitiful as ours.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
You should ask if that cop has any years of eligibility left. Your defense could never stop Baker. You’ll definitely not stop Kyler.

Dude, our defense couldn’t stop whoever KSU’s QB was. Your defense was also every bit as pitiful as ours.
New year, who dis?

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
New year, who dis?

Haha... you bounced back and forth between years. So, does new year only apply to you or are you going allow me to claim new year who dis?
The years are already done and we know what happened. Oklahoma is holding their own and successful and still improving while collecting hardware.

The original comment was about Kyler. Hence 2018 was in the forefront.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Yeah did you watch Darnold yesterday?

The truth is starting to come out on him. Sure he won his first game, but anyone can win that when the opposing team turns over the ball six times.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Yeah did you watch Darnold yesterday?

The truth is starting to come out on him. Sure he won his first game, but anyone can win that when the opposing team turns over the ball six times.

Nope, didn't watch Darnold playing or Mayfield warming the bench.
It’s hard to call it warming the bench when the GM outwardly says they’re not playing him until it’s absolutely necessary and they’re not rushing him onto the field

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Nice conclusion, Stretch Armstrong.

Being a quarterback in the NFL is the most difficult position in professional sports. There’s 32 teams, but not 32 amazing quarterbacks in the league. Rushing a rookie onto the field isn’t the best option. Look at Patrick Mahomes. Look at Aaron Rodgers. Why do you think so many fail? The learning curve is gigantic. There’s nothing wrong with getting acclimated to the game at the highest level.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
There have been many NFL QBs to start Week 1 of their rookie years, just in the last decade. The vast majority of which are now star franchise quarterbacks. Mayfield isn't just a rookie, he was #1 overall pick that the Browns desperately need to contribute.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Why do you think they traded Josh Gordon? Baker can't start, they know he will never be ready and they needed that 5th round draft pick for next year to replace Baker after their colossal mistake.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
In an ideal world, sure, it's great for a young QB to sit behind a polished veteran & learn the ropes, a la Mahomes & Rodgers. Those two, however, are the exception & not the rule. They were both drafted to good teams, whereas the Josh Allens & Mayfields & the vast majority of 1st round QB's go to crappy teams.

With Mayfield, who knows? The Browns have definitely upgraded their overall talent, but if anyone can find a way to screw it up, it's them. Taylor's a serviceable veteran now who did take Buffalo to the playoffs last year, fwiw, but if I had to bet, the calls for Mayfield will only increase with each loss under Taylor. I think we'll see him start before the halfway point of the season.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Why do you think they traded Josh Gordon? Baker can't start, they know he will never be ready and they needed that 5th round draft pick for next year to replace Baker after their colossal mistake.
They traded Josh Gordon because he’s a cancer and a constant problem and they’re attempting to change the culture in the locker room. The straw that broke the camels back just fell and they got rid of him. Gotta give props to that camel. He held a metric shit ton of straw.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
You’re one of those guys who said Mason was better than Baker weren’t you?

Also you can’t judge Baker in the NFL yet. You know who you can judge? Brandon Weeden and Justin Gilbert. Try that hat on for a moment.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
In an ideal world, sure, it's great for a young QB to sit behind a polished veteran & learn the ropes, a la Mahomes & Rodgers. Those two, however, are the exception & not the rule. They were both drafted to good teams, whereas the Josh Allens & Mayfields & the vast majority of 1st round QB's go to crappy teams.

With Mayfield, who knows? The Browns have definitely upgraded their overall talent, but if anyone can find a way to screw it up, it's them. Taylor's a serviceable veteran now who did take Buffalo to the playoffs last year, fwiw, but if I had to bet, the calls for Mayfield will only increase with each loss under Taylor. I think we'll see him start before the halfway point of the season.
Browns would be 2-0 if they had a kicker...

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Browns would be 2-0 if they had a kicker...

Yes, I know. This is more of the Browns just Browning, until they actually start winning some games.

I do think getting rid of Gordon was long overdue, btw. They needed to just move on.

Having said that, & I know it's only week 3, but I don't see many games I'd bet on the Browns to win, but alot can change in October.

WKDATEOPPONENTTIME (ET)TICKETS3Thu, Sep 20
8:20 PM NFL2,074 Tickets Available from $354Sun, Sep 30
4:05 PM FOX2,588 Tickets Available from $655Sun, Oct 7
1:00 PM CBS3,655 Tickets Available from $286Sun, Oct 14
1:00 PM CBS4,633 Tickets Available from $217Sun, Oct 21
1:00 PM FOX706 Tickets Available from $608Sun, Oct 28
1:00 PM CBS1,602 Tickets Available from $899Sun, Nov 4
1:00 PM CBS6,248 Tickets Available from $2410Sun, Nov 11
1:00 PM FOX6,446 Tickets Available from $2011BYE WEEK12Sun, Nov 25
1:00 PM CBS4,143 Tickets Available from $3313Sun, Dec 2
1:00 PM CBS3,723 Tickets Available from $3114Sun, Dec 9
1:00 PM FOX7,195 Tickets Available from $1715Sat, Dec 15
4:30 PM NFL1,534 Tickets Available from $6116Sun, Dec 23
1:00 PM CBS7,914 Tickets Available from $2017Sun, Dec 30
1:00 PM CBS5,000 Tickets Available from $22

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
You’re one of those guys who said Mason was better than Baker weren’t you?

Also you can’t judge Baker in the NFL yet. You know who you can judge? Brandon Weeden and Justin Gilbert. Try that hat on for a moment.

Neither of which were a #1 overall pick but both of which have started NFL games. Terrible comparison. Sam Bradford is a better comparison, another OU QB who was supposed to be a franchise savior but instead is on his 4th team in 5 years.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
With the right qb they can be a much different team on offense. They arent all that talented but the way I see they'd be better with a more dynamic play maker in Mayfield. And even though he's a rookie, rookies make rookie mistakes, he'd improve fast.