Baker Mayfield - The Man, The Myth, The Legend

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Offseason necro bump. Forgot about some of these gems. Too many pages to go through

Compare any of these squads to what OU has this year and you confirm my decline talk.
Come back to me in 4 months.
lol

I'm concerned for the well being of your fan base when we win that game. With possibly so much on the line coupled with it being the 3rd time you will lose to "little brother" in the last 5 years.
We be ok.

Wanna do the same comparison to what we just did to Boykin? Yards mean dick. Your defense will get smashed by that offense and I for one can't wait. Meanwhile Mason went off for 5 TDs against a top 5 team. Keep thumping your chest like you guys have played or beaten anyone worth a damn. Reality will settle in soon enough and you'll be on the "fire Rincoln Lilely and bench Maker Bayfield" bandwagon. Can't wait to see how much that O-line has improved against someone with any kind of pass rush. Our defense is going to bend you over and shove a fist in to the elbow.

Nice try but,
Clearly Rudolph is better than Mayfield because he didn't lose to Texass.:D:D:D

Mayfield is gamer for sure, but IMO, If I had to pick one over the other, It's a tough choice but I would prefer to dance with the girl I came with.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Someone needs to go over to the OU boards and necro bump all the threads about OSU being stupid for upgrading their stadium because none of that will never help anything. Lipstick on a pig! OSU will never ever win the big 12. They will never ever play in a BCS bowl, let alone even win any bowl of significance because they'll never get there. Or a thread about how the hammer of God was about to come down on OSU when the Sports Illustrated article. Posts where they threw f*cktard vodnik up on their shoulders and proclaimed him an OU message board hero for predicting the sh*t storm that was headed osu's way.

Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Someone needs to go over to the OU boards and necro bump all the threads about OSU being stupid for upgrading their stadium because none of that will never help anything. Lipstick on a pig! OSU will never ever win the big 12. They will never ever play in a BCS bowl, let alone even win any bowl of significance because they'll never get there. Or a thread about how the hammer of God was about to come down on OSU when the Sports Illustrated article. Posts where they threw f*cktard vodnik up on their shoulders and proclaimed him an OU message board hero for predicting the sh*t storm that was headed osu's way.
Dirt burglars aren't worth my time or effort.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010

I think that person should be you

I'm not sure that the stadium upgrades really did much for the competitiveness of the program Now yes, I will admit that the state of the program now is certainly better than it was 10 years ago, and the past few years has definitely stepped up their game in terms of the overall program being consistently competitive. For me, that's a direct result of a very solid head coach, and consistency in recruiting. But. I think a big part of facilities upgrades is intended to attract even better recruits. And looking at recruiting just over the past decade I think I saw the best class was either 26 or 27th, with most being somewhere in the 30s. And even after an incredible season this year and is pretty dang good one last year, contending for the big 12 championship, your 2017 class still isn't really all that good, and you only have two or three four-star recruits. So I'm really not seeing the boon in recruiting thanks to boone's money. At this point the best I wish you can do is be competitive and potentially challenge the big boys to win the conference or a NY6 game every few years or so but in my opinion the playoffs are a pipe dream.

But it sure is nice to look at on TV and I'm sure it impresses some recruits for sure, maybe it lead to more season tickets been purchased, but I don't believe it really see that it did much to bring in A whole other level of talent to osu.

It might be time to learn something from the SEC and start paying players

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I think that person should be you

I'm not sure that the stadium upgrades really did much for the competitiveness of the program Now yes, I will admit that the state of the program now is certainly better than it was 10 years ago, and the past few years has definitely stepped up their game in terms of the overall program being consistently competitive. For me, that's a direct result of a very solid head coach, and consistency in recruiting. But. I think a big part of facilities upgrades is intended to attract even better recruits. And looking at recruiting just over the past decade I think I saw the best class was either 26 or 27th, with most being somewhere in the 30s. And even after an incredible season this year and is pretty dang good one last year, contending for the big 12 championship, your 2017 class still isn't really all that good, and you only have two or three four-star recruits. So I'm really not seeing the boon in recruiting thanks to boone's money. At this point the best I wish you can do is be competitive and potentially challenge the big boys to win the conference or a NY6 game every few years or so but in my opinion the playoffs are a pipe dream.

But it sure is nice to look at on TV and I'm sure it impresses some recruits for sure, maybe it lead to more season tickets been purchased, but I don't believe it really see that it did much to bring in A whole other level of talent to osu.

It might be time to learn something from the SEC and start paying players
I'm not the kind of dipshit who hangs out on other schools message boards to necro bump old threads to say I told you so. And yeah you're right, our facilities upgrades have little to nothing to do with where our program is today compared to the 90s or early 2000s. I was completely off base for saying that sooner fans were wrong in saying that the upgrades were a complete waste of money.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
To think guys get better not playing is kind of bonkers. A new offensive system typically increases the adjustment period. OU will do fine against weak competition, but IMO will be challenged in close games. To compound the problem Big 12 defenses have already adjusted to the spread offense OU is installing. If Holgy didn't set the Big 12 on fire I have a hard time imagining Riley will.
LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I'm not the kind of dipshit who hangs out on other schools message boards to necro bump old threads to say I told you so. And yeah you're right, our facilities upgrades have little to nothing to do with where our program is today compared to the 90s or early 2000s. I was completely off base for saying that sooner fans were wrong in saying that the upgrades were a complete waste of money.
Oh, that's too bad. I bet you would have been really good at it.

Definitely not a waste of money, its nice to have nice things for sure. But compared to the 90s or early 2000s is a whole other thing altogether. To me, Gundy had more to do with where they are now than the facilities upgrades, namely the $185 million upgrade completed in 2009. They stank before Gundy save for a couple good years under Miles. After year 1 he hasnt had a losing season and he had osu on the uphill climb a few seasons before the upgrades became a serious selling point. They arent getting any better recruiting classes now than they have befoer 2010, which is a big part of why you spend money...you know...to upgrade the product on the field. Gundy was hired as the HC in 2005. From 2005-2009 his average recruiting class ranking was 32. From 2010-2016 that class average has dipped down to 34. I think osu is good now because gundy is a great coach, and he's getting a lot out of the talent he does have. But it doesnt appear it's done much for recruiting. Think of it this way, who are osu's biggest recruits since 2010 class?

Randle? Randolph? Lunt? Hill? You'd think that you'd be getting kids like that at least in every other class if you want to compete for more.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Oh, that's too bad. I bet you would have been really good at it.

Definitely not a waste of money, its nice to have nice things for sure. But compared to the 90s or early 2000s is a whole other thing altogether. To me, Gundy had more to do with where they are now than the facilities upgrades, namely the $185 million upgrade completed in 2009. They stank before Gundy save for a couple good years under Miles. After year 1 he hasnt had a losing season and he had osu on the uphill climb a few seasons before the upgrades became a serious selling point. They arent getting any better recruiting classes now than they have befoer 2010, which is a big part of why you spend money...you know...to upgrade the product on the field. Gundy was hired as the HC in 2005. From 2005-2009 his average recruiting class ranking was 32. From 2010-2016 that class average has dipped down to 34. I think osu is good now because gundy is a great coach, and he's getting a lot out of the talent he does have. But it doesnt appear it's done much for recruiting. Think of it this way, who are osu's biggest recruits since 2010 class?

Randle? Randolph? Lunt? Hill? You'd think that you'd be getting kids like that at least in every other class if you want to compete for more.
tl;dr

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
They're tough questions. If you guys get complacent with participation trophies and ten win seasons then that's all you'll ever get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You guys as in us here on the message board or the actual team? I'll be sure someone gets your message to Gundy if you're talking about the team. He probably hasn't thought of any of that before and would be very appreciative of your feedback and suggestions. Thanks!

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
You guys as in us here on the message board or the actual team? I'll be sure someone gets your message to Gundy if you're talking about the team. He probably hasn't thought of any of that before and would be very appreciative of your feedback and suggestions. Thanks!
"participation trophy" is @TypicalGooner son's middle name.....................

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I didn't say Rudolph will be a star in the NFL I just said he would make it unlike Baker. Yep agreed because of Baker's lack of size. I was joking about performance enhancers. I do agree Baker is a good college QB. I agree, we won't be flat against OU no way to be flat against ur rivals in a big game. Baylor I agree can't be average there.
You mean Rudolph, the guy who will be on an NFL roster and Mayfield who will be working at a regular job and have to quit football after next year. Yeah ok bud. Mayfield is taking performance enhancers. He'll be caught in a few weeks and next year will be back to average. .
More good stuff