Bail bonds(wo)man acquitted in shooting - Video released

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I'm kind of surprised this hasn't made it here yet.

http://www.newson6.com/story/377117...eadly-shooting-in-stillwater-bail-bond-office

Personally, I don't know how a jury could acquit her based on what I see in the video. It does not appear as if she was in any danger and it appears as if the parolee was leaving the scene when he was shot in the back.
My wife and I saw it on the news this morning and both had a "uhhhh" reaction. Both she and her sons body language definitely did not look like either felt threatened. I feel sorry for her son who was just standing there and watched his mom just shoot this guy. I'm sure that visual is going to be stuck in his head for a while.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Total BS. This guy was trying to escape the room and she shot him in the back. He first tried to go for the door which she had locked, then he tried to flee out the window when she shot him in the back. She lied and said he tried to go for the gun in her drawer which the video doesn't show him doing that and how would he know she had a gun in her drawer anyway?

She wasn't even CCL carrier or a licensed bail bond enforcer, so I don't know what even gave her the right to pull the gun on the guy. Just because he didn't comply with her orders? What gives her that authority? Why does he have to comply with her?

People are trying to argue that the dude was bad anyway so no big loss. That doesn't give her the right to be judge, jury, and executioner. This to me is like the Georgia cases where the cop shot the fleeing guy in the back and got convicted. But she wasn't even a cop.

All I can think is that the jurors only had the option to convict for 1st degree murder. The DA should've went for second degree instead.

She straight up murdered that guy.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
That could be. I know that’s what she was charged with. Much like how Zimmerman was acquitted of first degree murder.

From what I’ve read, the ladies son actually testified against her saying that this dude was not threatening them.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I'm kind of surprised this hasn't made it here yet.

http://www.newson6.com/story/377117...eadly-shooting-in-stillwater-bail-bond-office

Personally, I don't know how a jury could acquit her based on what I see in the video. It does not appear as if she was in any danger and it appears as if the parolee was leaving the scene when he was shot in the back.
She should have at least warned him to stop or she was going to shoot. But cops don't always do that, either.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Just saw this on CBS national news:

Enlarge
1 / 1

STILLWATER, Oklahoma -
Video of the deadly shooting that left a man dead inside a Stillwater bail bond office has been released.
The bondsman, Chasity Carey, says she opened fire in self-defense, killing her client, Brandon Williams.
The shooting happened last August and led to a first-degree murder charge against Carey. The video of the shooting was released by the Payne County District Attorney on Monday.

http://www.news9.com/story/37711796/video-released-of-deadly-shooting-in-stillwater-bail-bond-office

She shot him trying to crawl out the window and the judge called it self defense.

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Obviously I don't know all of the evidence but I'm having trouble understanding how it was changed as first degree murder in the first place....maybe the jury thought the same thing. This may be on the DA if they chose not to pursue 2nd degree murder or some other change instead.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Obviously I don't know all of the evidence but I'm having trouble understanding how it was changed as first degree murder in the first place....maybe the jury thought the same thing. This may be on the DA if they chose not to pursue 2nd degree murder or some other change instead.
Yeah it's on the DA and the State. The DA overshot with the 1st degree murder charge and the judge did not give the jury the option to convict on a lesser charge. It was 1st degree or nothing. The jurors even said in their follow up questions that they would've convicted on a lesser charge. The had a follow up about this on news9 this evening. Major blunder by the Payne County DA's office.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
Jan 5, 2012
That could be. I know that’s what she was charged with. Much like how Zimmerman was acquitted of first degree murder.

From what I’ve read, the ladies son actually testified against her saying that this dude was not threatening them.
Zimmerman was acquitted of second-degree murder.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville

Zimmerman was acquitted of second-degree murder.
Wow it’s been so long I forgot. I just remembered that the charge was impossible to convict on.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Yeah it's on the DA and the State. The DA overshot with the 1st degree murder charge and the judge did not give the jury the option to convict on a lesser charge. It was 1st degree or nothing. The jurors even said in their follow up questions that they would've convicted on a lesser charge. The had a follow up about this on news9 this evening. Major blunder by the Payne County DA's office.
Yeah I just read a follow up. Crazy.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
Jan 5, 2012
Wow it’s been so long I forgot. I just remembered that the charge was impossible to convict on.
Indeed, but I think that was mostly due to Florida's "stand your ground" law. In any case, you make a good point.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Just saw this on CBS national news:

Enlarge
1 / 1

STILLWATER, Oklahoma -
Video of the deadly shooting that left a man dead inside a Stillwater bail bond office has been released.
The bondsman, Chasity Carey, says she opened fire in self-defense, killing her client, Brandon Williams.
The shooting happened last August and led to a first-degree murder charge against Carey. The video of the shooting was released by the Payne County District Attorney on Monday.

http://www.news9.com/story/37711796/video-released-of-deadly-shooting-in-stillwater-bail-bond-office

She shot him trying to crawl out the window and the judge called it self defense.
Did I miss something, because I can't see what he's doing in the video?

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
All I can think is that the jurors only had the option to convict for 1st degree murder. The DA should've went for second degree instead.
That's GOT to be it, otherwise I have no clue what is going on in the world. Looked like murder to me.
It is it. They actually should have went for 1st man slaughter. 1st degree murder was a stretch.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
It is it. They actually should have went for 1st man slaughter. 1st degree murder was a stretch.

I don't know why. Seems like murder to me except for that defense that works in Oklahoma and most of Texas called the "sonofabitch had it comin" defense.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I don't know why. Seems like murder to me except for that defense that works in Oklahoma and most of Texas called the "sonofabitch had it comin" defense.
No, 1st degree had to attach live and premeditation I believe in Oklahoma. Manslaughter is more for spur of the moment bad decisions.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
The family of the man who was killed is going to bring a civil case against the bailbonds woman. That should be an easy win. Especially since the original jurors said they would've convicted on a lesser charge.