Australian Christopher Lane killed in drive-by shooting while jogging in Oklahoma

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
This is pretty big news over here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-19/australian-man-shot-dead-in-oklahoma/4895152

The father of a Melbourne baseballer who was shot dead while jogging in Oklahoma says his son was a "talented, intelligent kid" who was "just on the cusp of making his life".

VIDEO: Peter and Donna Lane address the media in Melbourne (ABC News)

Christopher Lane, 22, was jogging in the small town of Duncan on Friday when he was shot in the back in a drive-by.

Police have arrested three teenagers aged 15, 16 and 17.

They will be charged with first-degree murder and could potentially face the death penalty.

Lane was on a baseball scholarship at East Central University and was reportedly two weeks away from celebrating his 23rd birthday.

He had just returned to the US from a trip back to Australia with his girlfriend Sarah, and was believed to have only been staying at her residence for about three days before the incident.

Duncan Police Chief Danny Ford said the shooting appears to have been a random, unprovoked attack and he had not seen anything like it in 30 years of law enforcement.

"He apparently was jogging, he went by a residence where these three boys were, they picked him as a target, they went out and got in a vehicle and followed him," Chief Ford told the ABC's AM program.

"[They] came up from behind and basically shot him in the back with a small calibre weapon. Then sped away."

PHOTO: Christopher Lane was studying at an American university on a baseball scholarship. (Essendon Baseball Club)

Chief Ford said the murder weapon was yet to be recovered but was believed to be of low-calibre and likely to have been stolen.

Lane's shattered parents Peter and Donna addressed the media this morning at Essendon Baseball Club in Melbourne, where their son had been a member before heading to the US.

"He was just a normal kid, he gave up a lot to follow his dream," Mr Lane said.

"He was an intelligent kid and he made good life choices.

"He caused us some grief, caused us so much joy.

"He was just a kid on the cusp of making his life.

"He had a good life... why it was taken away is so pointless."

Choking back tears, Mrs Lane added: "We're all lucky that he was here for that period of time."

Victorian Premier Denis Napthine said the murder was an "absolute tragedy".

"This is an absolute tragedy, for a young man to be murdered at the prime of his life when he's on the verge of a great career in his chosen sport of baseball," he said.

"Our hearts go out to his family, his friends, and all in the Victorian baseball community who'll be suffering at the moment."

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I've only been through there and it just looked like typical small town Oklahoma to me. I think I read they have only had one other murder in like 5 years.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
I thought about you when I heard of this yesterday.

I'm really at a loss for words. All I can say, and it will be damn little comfort, as someone who grew up in Duncan, if you'll extend my sympathies to those you know there, I'd appreciate it. I know some of the folks there in law enforcement, I trust them to seek justice for this young man, and all he touched.

I am so very sorry.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
Terrible shameful tragic. I haven't been to Duncan...is it the hood or something?

My 85 yo mother still lives there. She walks her dog around the block almost every evening. Completely random. Just wanted to kill something. The thought that these vermin did this about 5 miles from her house makes me queasy. I went to church for a time at the church across the street from where they were arrested.

I've got a few friends that still live there, most of them attorneys, some of them work as prosecutors. I really do trust them to seek justice. This trash is likely too young for the justice I personally would prefer, but I trust them to do their very best.

I'm really at a loss for words. I'm just flat out disgusted with humanity at this point, and I have little hope left for any of us.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I'm really at a loss for words. I'm just flat out disgusted with humanity at this point, and I have little hope left for any of us.
This is the primary reason I started the Good News Thread. I feel much the same way, and I try to make an effort to see the good going on in the world. I try to see the good people do to each other.

I honestly feel sad for me kids sometimes wondering what kind of world they are growing into. I doubt this is new or unusual at all, but quite frankly, without my faith, I would have very little desire to have much contact with people in general.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
My 85 yo mother still lives there. She walks her dog around the block almost every evening. Completely random. Just wanted to kill something. The thought that these vermin did this about 5 miles from her house makes me queasy. I went to church for a time at the church across the street from where they were arrested.

I've got a few friends that still live there, most of them attorneys, some of them work as prosecutors. I really do trust them to seek justice. This trash is likely too young for the justice I personally would prefer, but I trust them to do their very best.

I graduated high school in Duncan and will be there in September for my 40th reunion. I'm shocked at this and have no words to describe the disgust for these P'sOS.
Duncan is a good town but like most all towns, has it's share of garbage.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
It's sick that they believe it was just some sort of random killing...people like that should never see the light of day again...but more than likely, these kids will be locked up until they are 18...if that long since they have no real evidence.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Have not been to Duncan in several years but used to go there often and had good friends there.

I would feel as safe there as anywhere.

This is a sad story.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
I talked to someone.

I've got names, but they haven't been actually released yet, so I'll refrain from sharing them here. It appears it may have been gang related. I'm being told there is a chance he was targeted because he was white. The shooters were not. One of them is multiracial. I'm not sure race had as much to do with it as meanness.

Rotten little bastards should be drug out behind the court house and each shot once in the head and then their sorry asses dumped in the trash. I'm not sorry I feel that way. I've had it with this kinda shit. Screw justice. I want a little retribution. ***damn it, this pisses me off to no end. Little pukes do not deserve to continue to exist on this earth. If you cause this kind of pain, heartache and loss, and you do it just for the thrill of watching someone die, you've forfeited your right to life. Rotten little bastards.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
I talked to someone.

I've got names, but they haven't been actually released yet, so I'll refrain from sharing them here. It appears it may have been gang related. I'm being told there is a chance he was targeted because he was white. The shooters were not. One of them is multiracial. I'm not sure race had as much to do with it as meanness.

Rotten little bastards should be drug out behind the court house and each shot once in the head and then their sorry asses dumped in the trash. I'm not sorry I feel that way. I've had it with this kinda shit. Screw justice. I want a little retribution. ***damn it, this pisses me off to no end. Little pukes do not deserve to continue to exist on this earth. If you cause this kind of pain, heartache and loss, and you do it just for the thrill of watching someone die, you've forfeited your right to life. Rotten little bastards.
So do they have actual evidence yet? Or a confession?