Athletics Construction Progress

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
I know there are athletic offices that overlook the football field that will now be blocked out. And that coaches/families/friends would take advantage of that perk. (Good for them)

I now wonder what coaches lost that great perk?

Dec 20, 2010
South Tulsa
I know there are athletic offices that overlook the football field that will now be blocked out. And that coaches/families/friends would take advantage of that perk. (Good for them)

I now wonder what coaches lost that great perk?
I wouldn’t worry about that. That balcony is level to where the external HDMI port is, so that they can plug in Their DVR!

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Can I sneak this in here? Not athletic but campus related and cool.

McKnight Center exterior construction nears completion

A new performance hall on Oklahoma State University’s campus remains set for its target completion date.
Exterior construction on the McKnight Center for the Performing Arts is on track to finish this summer. The building is scheduled to open in October 2019. OSU’s information and renderings show that the center includes a 1,100-seat concert hall and a 222-seat recital hall. The university’s music school will use the venue for classes and performances while also bringing in artists and groups from around the world to perform.

Ground broke on the 93,000-square foot building in October 2016. At the time, OSU President Burns Hargis said elevating the arts at the university had been a long-term goal of his.

The center will open with a performance from the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. The performance will be the orchestra’s first in Oklahoma in more than 30 years. The Philharmonic will appear courtesy of the McKnight Center’s programming endowment. A $25 million donation from Billie and Ross McKnight, whom the center is named for, established the fund. In 2016, the orchestra and OSU’s Greenwood School of Music agreed to a residency program, which will allow OSU students and faculty to interact with members of the Philharmonic. The residency will include educational opportunities such as lectures, audition workshops and master classes.

Joseph Missal, OSU’s director of bands, said the endowment and the facility will make his job easier.
“The endowment will bring in amazing artists from around the world to inspire and motivate our students to reach their career goals,” Missal said. “Having the concert hall and recital hall will give our students the flexibility to make music in a venue appropriate for each genre.”
Thomas Lanners, a professor of piano at the school, said he believes the center will attract more students to the program.

“The residencies of the New York Philharmonic and the annual McKnight chamber are invaluable selling points for prospective students who are seeking world-class training and a vital cosmopolitan musical environment,” Lanners said.

Heidi Kelly, a spokesperson for the McKnight Center, said individual and corporate donations are funding the building’s projected $50 million cost. Along with the McKnights’ $25 million donation, Carl and Marilynn Thomas gave $5 million to establish the executive director position at the center.

The McKnight Center is on the southwest corner of University Avenue and Hester Street.

1531397012651.png

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
Since i am not in Stillwater, I had thought they would tear down the old building and build it there. Does this expansion "off campus" signal that more of the edge of Stillwater is going to be added to the campus eventually?

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Since i am not in Stillwater, I had thought they would tear down the old building and build it there. Does this expansion "off campus" signal that more of the edge of Stillwater is going to be added to the campus eventually?
Can't answer your question. But regarding the old building, that will continue to house other arts programs, such as the theater.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I would love to see a bunch of drone footage stitcher together of all the construction and changed (new buildings completed) areas on campus.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I was in Stillwater Friday and it is indeed looking more and more like a "city" every day...the changes and improvements / expansions in and around campus are dramatic. I just hope they finish several of the ongoing projects prior to homecoming. Every time I go to Stillwater something new has been built. It's really a tremendous boom town right now. Hester is torn out right in front of the new business school leading all the way to the stadium. I'm thinking they are likely going to brick that to match Monroe to the west, the campus is defiantly expanding to both the North and South with both new buildings to the South and new sports stadiums to the North. Numerous new multistory Apartment complex's are in the final stages of construction in former neighborhoods to the South of the new preforming arts center. For those long absent from Stillwater, I cannot stress the dramatic changes enough (not sure all of them are improvements but most are). Well worth a trip just to see what our once sleepy town has become. Btw, there are also massive changes happening on Greek Row. The Lambda Chi Alpha house is gone and a massive new Pike house has been built next to Zeta Ta Alpha. Adding those two to the long list of other recently built huge new houses.

Last edited:

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Btw, there are also massive changes happening on Greek Row. The Lambda Chi Alpha house is gone and a massive new Pike house has been built next to Zeta Ta Alpha.
The arms race in fraternities is insane right now. The Pikes paid a couple million to relocate the BSU just to move ONE block closer to campus.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The arms race in fraternities is insane right now. The Pikes paid a couple million to relocate the BSU just to move ONE block closer to campus.
I agree...I'm hoping they don't end up tearing down the Sigma Nu house which is beautiful old architecture just to keep up with all the huge houses being built around them.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
65 Poke, see my post above...what you ask has been happening for several years now...but right now it's happening at record pace to both the North and South. Some of it is private improvements to the south but a new parking garage and the preforming arts center take up an entire city block in the area. Btw, it looks to nearly be complete.

Dec 24, 2007
Stillwater, OK
I work on campus. I'll try to go out and get some pics.
My update:
Currently, the tore up roads and walkways are for a massive utilities upgrade taking place. They're upgrading the electrical lines practically across ALL of campus. Everything should be close to finishing by the start of school and, if not, the first game. (Also, they will be removing the sub-station behind 4H on Hall of Fame.)
Athletics:
1. Soccer is almost done. They should be doing some site work soon around the stadium.
2. Steel and concrete going up at baseball. Most of the steel is up for the four walls of the indoor training portion. Concrete along the 3rd baseline and locker rooms looking good!
3. Equestrian has been complete for a while.
4. WEZ Plaza (old Cordell location) lots of site work. They have the concrete poured and in place for the light poles and have frames for the walkways/paved areas. Should be pouring a lot of concrete in the next couple of weeks.
!!!BEST PART, Y'ALL! They will be connecting Washington and Hester through campus! The drive will go right by the tunnel/WEZ!!! I can't wait to be able to go that way north through campus. However, I'm sure it will be closed as a pedestrian walkway during the day. Could also be closed on game day.

Other Campus buildings:
1. Mcknight Center is coming along. most of the glass is in. they have a few areas left but have started sheetrocking inside.
2. Business is AMAZING. Everyone should go see it.
3. New Geology Lab on the northwest side of campus has the piers poured.
4. NOC is building a new classroom building and office north of the large garage on Monroe. Supposed to be open this fall. Getting close. Lots of dirt work remains... (I've heard lots of rumors about the old Cowboy Mall and its use after NOC moves out. Nothing definite yet.)
5. Several REsidence Halls are being remodeled. New roofs, walls, flooring, bathrooms, etc..

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
My update:
Currently, the tore up roads and walkways are for a massive utilities upgrade taking place. They're upgrading the electrical lines practically across ALL of campus. Everything should be close to finishing by the start of school and, if not, the first game. (Also, they will be removing the sub-station behind 4H on Hall of Fame.)
Athletics:
1. Soccer is almost done. They should be doing some site work soon around the stadium.
2. Steel and concrete going up at baseball. Most of the steel is up for the four walls of the indoor training portion. Concrete along the 3rd baseline and locker rooms looking good!
4. WEZ Plaza (old Cordell location) lots of site work. They have the concrete poured and in place for the light poles and have frames for the walkways/paved areas. Should be pouring a lot of concrete in the next couple of weeks.
!!!BEST PART, Y'ALL! They will be connecting Washington and Hester through campus! The drive will go right by the tunnel/WEZ!!! I can't wait to be able to go that way north through campus. However, I'm sure it will be closed as a pedestrian walkway during the day. Could also be closed on game day.

Other Campus buildings:
1. Mcknight Center is coming along. most of the glass is in. they have a few areas left but have started sheetrocking inside.
4. NOC is building a new classroom building and office north of the large garage on Monroe. Supposed to be open this fall. Getting close. Lots of dirt work remains... (I've heard lots of rumors about the old Cowboy Mall and its use after NOC moves out. Nothing definite yet.)
5. Several REsidence Halls are being remodeled. New roofs, walls, flooring, bathrooms, etc..
I hear Drummond is fully empty and k&d both ready to come down whenever after relocating the store and food options inside.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
My update:
Athletics:

Other Campus buildings:
We are waiting with baited breath for your magnificent photos!