At 90 and with health issues, T. Boone Pickens says there is ‘frustration’ but also ‘acceptance’

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy was among the crowd who gathered Saturday for Pickens’ 90th birthday party at the Dallas Country Club. Most of the 450 waited in a lengthy line to be photographed with Pickens, who wore an OSU orange blazer.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was there. So was Cowboys legend Roger Staubach. So were OSU President Burns Hargis and athletic director Mike Holder, along with former OSU quarterback Brandon Weeden and former OSU golfer Rickie Fowler.

Video messages were submitted by, among others, Warren Buffett, Steve Forbes, George Strait, Ted Turner, Garth Brooks, Mason Rudolph, Mike Boynton, Les Miles and Karl Rove.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott’s video statement included this: “You’ve been able to get me to do something that I have never done in my entire life, in celebration of this event.”

Abbott flashed OSU’s “Pistols Firing” hand gesture and said, “Go Pokes!”
Link

Also, video tributes from Garth Brooks and others for his birthday here.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Also from Bill Haisten today....

In OSU’s original plan of an $86 million renovation, nothing was scheduled to have been done at the west end of the stadium. With the Pickens money, there was a $283 million project that included a west-end complex, 10,000 additional seats and 36 additional suites.

As recently as 2003, OSU had no luxury suites in the stadium. Now, including the 13 that are contained within Gallagher-Iba Arena, OSU has 123 suites for football. For the 2017 season, they all were sold.

“If we hadn’t had this gift,” OSU athletic director Mike Holder says of Pickens’ monumental donation, “I feel like we would have been dead in the water for the next 20 years.”
Link

Also here's some Boone Pickens photos through the years.

Nov 30, 2008
Tulsa, Ok
I think the headline is misleading with the 'frustration' and 'acceptance'. You would assume he's talking about OSU football but he's actually referring to his inability to quail hunt and golf.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
I think the headline is misleading with the 'frustration' and 'acceptance'. You would assume he's talking about OSU football but he's actually referring to his inability to quail hunt and golf.
I figured it was about Gundy’s coaching and ability to win something. Maybe that’s just me.
Appreciate the feedback. I can understand how that would come across that way here since I posted it to an OSU sports forum on the message board.

I think the presentation at our site helps it not appear as much of a sports story as a personal story, with a picture of Boone Pickens next to OSU president Burns Hargis i.e. (as opposed to next to Mike Gundy) and the summary sentence right below the headline on the main page: "The T. Boone Pickens who had everything and did everything now aspires at 90 to be what he was at 88." On the article itself, the subheadline is "‘Complicated guy’ who has been both famous and infamous, Pickens’ legacy is anchored by his generosity."