Are Probiotics Money Down the Toilet? Or Worse?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
This is laughable. I'm honestly wondering why you even felt the need to post it.

You know how Dannon yogurt likes to advertise their yogurt with probiotics? It's a scam. YOGURT ALREADY HAS PROBIOTICS ANYWAY.

Second of all, you can build up a nice microbiome by eating a diet rich in leafy greens. Of course, I know that most Oklahomans have to eat their beef, which is ultimately bad for your microbiome (and health in general). But if people just shifted their diets *just a tad toward more veggies and fruits*, we'd have better health metrics across the board, as a society.

I live in the South, and there are so many obese, unhealthy people here, and for the same reason.
Beef good, salad bad

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Don't most of the greek yogurt brands have live cultures?... Those are pretty readily available in just about any grocery store these days.
No. Greek yogurt is higher in protein. If it is homogenized then it doesn't have live culture.
Like for instance, this Chobani Greek yogurt that you can literally buy anywhere and is currently in my fridge. I'm sure some do some don't, but it's not like they're super rare yogurts that you have to get from Sprouts or Whole Foods.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Like for instance, this Chobani Greek yogurt that you can literally buy anywhere and is currently in my fridge. I'm sure some do some don't, but it's not like they're super rare yogurts that you have to get from Sprouts or Whole Foods.

Did you not notice the word "if". What makes Greek yogurt different is not the presence of live culture but the higher protein content. If it is homogenized, as much yogurt is, then it doesn't have live culture. Good on you for buying a brand that does.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK

Did you not notice the word "if". What makes Greek yogurt different is not the presence of live culture but the higher protein content. If it is homogenized, as much yogurt is, then it doesn't have live culture. Good on you for buying a brand that does.
Sorry, my comment was a misdirected. That was more about okst1's comment on how uncommon it is.

Last edited:

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Because of how much they eat, not what they eat. You can become obese on a well rounded diet if you over eat. Don't get full, don't get fat.
Yes and no. Yeah, if you consume more calories from white meat, fish , and vegetables than you exert in body maintenance and exercise you will gain weight.

But it's way easier to do that with twinkies.

Jul 20, 2018
Oklahoma City
Yes and no. Yeah, if you consume more calories from white meat, fish , and vegetables than you exert in body maintenance and exercise you will gain weight.

But it's way easier to do that with twinkies.
It's the same but opposite in losing weight of course. I've got a friend who tries this diet and that diet and never loses much weight, just fails and moves on to the next fad diet. When I diet it's simple. Eat anything you like, but count every calorie and stop at the red light. Lost 40 pounds in 3 months last year. It may not be great for your health but what you eat doesn't matter in weight loss, it's all about how much. Exercise of course aids enormously.