Are American Men willing to "give their "last full measure of devotion"?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Are American men still willing to "give as Lincoln said their last full measure of devotion?
We live as a free people because many men went into battle knowing full well that their chances
were very slim to come out alive. How many of us are still willing to "give our full measure of devotion ? "

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor...Dec. 7,1941 men flocked to join. I knew several old "'Aggies" (now gone) who dropped out of Oklahoma A&M and went immediately to Fort Sill to sign up for the War. Both went directly to combat.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
As far away as the country has gotten from the greatest generation, armed forces enrollment did spike after 9/11. So there are still people out there willing to lay it all on the line.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor...Dec. 7,1941 men flocked to join. I knew several old "'Aggies" (now gone) who dropped out of Oklahoma A&M and went immediately to Fort Sill to sign up for the War. Both went directly to combat.
I'm sure you are not meaning to do so but your implications in this thread are insulting to those of us that did volunteer to go to war and put our lives on the line for our country in the modern day. And, we did it to fight a strange faceless enemy that only sort of attacked us in a cowardly way. Not a huge obvious enemy that did a full-on military assault. And, we volunteered to go with only superficial support from the homeland based on ribbons in the windows of luxury SUVs and sappy commercials from big companies. Nobody on the homefront was turning in their good metal pans, getting drafted, accepting lower wages, and all of the things that regular citizens did back then.

So, enough with the crap. You are already called the greatest generation. Don't go tarnishing that by trying to imply that modern people could not or would not be able to do the same if given the circumstance. I've been there. I've seen heroes doing selfless acts. I've seen and cared for mangled and dead modern kids. Trust me, it is the same blood.

Enough.

Last edited:

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
On the highway to heck
I'm sure you are not meaning to do so but your implications in this thread are insulting to those of us that did volunteer to go to war and put our lives on the line for our country in the modern day. And, we did it to fight a strange faceless enemy that only sort of attacked us in a cowardly way. Not a huge obvious enemy that did a full-on military assault. And, we volunteered to go with only superficial support from the homeland based on ribbons in the windows of luxury SUVs and sappy commercials from big companies. Nobody on the homefront was turning in their good metal pans, getting drafted, accepting lower wages, and all of the things that regular citizens did back then.

So, enough with the crap. You are already called the greatest generation. Don't go tarnishing that by trying to imply that modern people could not or would not be able to do the same if given the circumstance. I've been there. I've seen heroes doing selfless acts. I've seen and cared for mangled and dead modern kids. Trust me, it is the same blood.

Enough.
One volunteer to another, your whole post reeks of "back in my day" patriotism. I loved every word of it.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I don't know how many "men" are willing, but I am sure there are more than enough Americans of any sex, race, faith, sexual orientation or country of origin willing to serve their county.

Feb 13, 2010
Back in God's country!

Enough.
Thank you for your service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you are correct. I know a few of those still signed up to fight that nameless/faceless/coward of an enemy. Some of the bravest guys I know.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Some of us tried for several years to get in after college and couldn't for one reason or another. Mostly limits to the number of officers needed in the different branches... And poor eyesight in my circumstance. There were better options out there than me, I guess.

So thanks for making me feel like a coward and a millennial piece of shit. Really needed that today.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
On the highway to heck
Some of us tried for several years to get in after college and couldn't for one reason or another. Mostly limits to the number of officers needed in the different branches... And poor eyesight in my circumstance. There were better options out there than me, I guess.

So thanks for making me feel like a coward and a millennial piece of shit. Really needed that today.
I personally applaud your efforts to volunteer. Also, I will opine I've seen no indication that either of the bolded parts above apply to you.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Are American men still willing to "give as Lincoln said their last full measure of devotion?
We live as a free people because many men went into battle knowing full well that their chances
were very slim to come out alive. How many of us are still willing to "give our full measure of devotion ? "
Here is a question. Lincoln said this at Gettysburg addressing a war where he was speaking to the devotion of Americans to kill other Americans.

I think that is a different level of devotion than being in the military and not in a civil war....don't you?

Are you devoted enough to serve for, fight and kill outsiders for your country?

Are you devoted enough to serve, fight and kill your own countrymen to establish a country you envision?

Rixaroo

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
OKC
www.weekendwatchguide.com
I don't get it. Give devotion to defend against what?