AP Poll Week 3

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
you have not beaten anyone. kansas has as good a win as Oklahoma State. I think the pollsters put the Cowboys in out of respect for past seasons-not based on anything they've done this season.

That's why i dont like polls-and agree with playoff committee which doesnt rank teams until a sizable chunk of data is in.

Beating VT in a bowl means zippo. it's a new season. your qb and receivers are gone and VT is obviously much much better-having destroyed Miami in miami. Oklahoma State may be better than VT again, but you cant rank them based on last year's game lol.

TCU thumped you last year, and kstate beat you-you dont want those losses influencing this year's ranking. and they shouldnt. Kstate was decent last year-this year they are 10th in a 10 team league.
No they aren't. Mississippi State is good this year! Kstate isnt bad. MSU is actually good. Kansas still worst team in the Big 10.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I was just responding to Rack's confusion about why we aren't ranked higher. Honestly, I think we're about where we should be given the circumstances.
Birry - I'm not confused...it's eastern and big name bias starting out seasons. My point is that we have earned it just as much if not more than VT, prior to their win at FSU, and we were ranked lower going into the season than the team we just manhandled in the bowl. That was my point, completely. Certainly Boise is a barometer and I'm worried about that games as they are also better than VT...and IMHO, WVU. They are likely the 2nd best team we will play this year, and are also under-ranked. This is my point....No confusion.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Birry - I'm not confused...it's coastal and big name bias starting out seasons. My point is that we have earned it just as much if not more than VT, prior to their win at FSU, and we were ranked lower going into the season than the team we just manhandled in the bowl. That was my point, completely. Certainly Boise is a barometer and I'm worried about that games as they are also better than VT...and IMHO, WVU. They are likely the 2nd best team we will play this year, and are also under-ranked. This is my point....Not confusion.
Wait......you think we've earned more than VT at this point? Based on what, exactly?

Also, we beat them by only 9 points in the bowl game with Mason Rudolph, James Washington, and Justice Hill on the field. They returned their starting QB, who is pretty dang good. They also won 9 games last season. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that the same folks talking about how VT doesn't deserve to be ranked very high this season also talked about how great a win our bowl game was against them.

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Wait......you think we've earned more than VT at this point? Based on what, exactly?
No we "earned it" pre season in comparison to them, when we kicked their ass in a bowl and they came out ranked higher going into the season despite losing an equivalent amount of talent to the nfl (but on defense vs offense). Has nothing to do with now rankings, but the pre season ones where they set them up to be a top 20 match up with FSU when FSU even more obviously didn't deserve it. VT was #20 and FSU was #19...both undeserved at that point in time.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
No we "earned it" pre season in comparison to them, when we kicked their ass in a bowl and they came out ranked higher going into the season despite losing an equivalent amount of talent to the nfl (but on defense vs offense). Has nothing to do with now rankings, but the pre season ones where they set them up to be a top 20 match up with FSU when FSU even more obviously didn't deserve it. VT was #20 and FSU was #19...both undeserved at that point in time.
They return their starting QB among others, and we only beat them by 9 points. When I look at the stats, I don't see an "ass kicking", especially considering the weapons we had on offense at the time. It was a really good win against a quality opponent. They returned some key players, we lost most of ours. I see no problem with them being ranked higher than us at this juncture.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
They return their starting QB among others, and we only beat them by 9 points. When I look at the stats, I don't see an "ass kicking", especially considering the weapons we had on offense at the time. It was a really good win against a quality opponent. They returned some key players, we lost most of ours. I see no problem with them being ranked higher than us at this juncture.
Dude, look up what they lost on defense this summer...you have no clue. They lost more than we did, and higher rated players by the NFL. They lost two defensive starters in the freaking FIRST round of the NFL draft. They lost an additional 2 that were drafted in the 5th and 7th rounds. They lost another two that were signed to NFL rosters. They lost 7 starters on defense and 4 on offense. Their QB was dealing with academic eligibility problems, their DC quit and they had to dismiss two DB's in the starting rotation on top of that. Meanwhile we lost 4 offensive starters (granted MR, Ateman, and Washington were all outstanding) and 2 defensive starters.

Once again, my point is that they were overrated in comparison to us going into the season in order to provide for a top 20 match up with an even more overrated FSU. Nothing more. An underrated Boise team is going to be very tough this weekend and my frustration is only that they AND we, IMHO, are BOTH underrated at this point and any loss (for either team) is going to be a killer.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Dude, look up what they lost on defense this summer...you have no clue. They lost more than we did, and higher rated players by the NFL. They lost two defensive starters in the freaking FIRST round of the NFL draft. They lost an additional 2 that were drafted in the 5th and 7th rounds. They lost another two that were signed to NFL rosters. They lost 7 starters on defense and 4 on offense. Their QB was dealing with academic eligibility problems, their DC quit and they had to dismiss two DB's in the starting rotation on top of that. Meanwhile we lost 4 offensive starters (granted MR and JW were outstanding) and 2 defensive starters.

Once again, my point is that they were overrated in comparison to us going into the season in order to provide for a top 20 match up with an overrated FSU. Nothing more. An underrated Boise team is going to be very tough this weekend and my frustration is only that they AND we, IMHO, are BOTH underrated at this point and any loss (for either team) is going to be a killer.
I'm just posting based on what I watched when they beat FSU this year. They look like a solid team, especially on defense and special teams. Probably not #12 solid, but I can see why they were ranked slightly ahead of us considering our QB situation. Also, the only thing that impacts this season are the guys that are left, not the guys that are lost.

The pundits thought we had a weaker team than VT to start the season. Who cares? All we can do is focus on winning. The whole preseason rankings thing *might* only matter when discussing national TV exposure or final season rankings for who gets into the playoff. But even then......if we keep winning, we can take care of all that.

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'm just posting based on what I watched when they beat FSU this year. They look like a solid team, especially on defense and special teams. Probably not #12 solid, but I can see why they were ranked slightly ahead of us considering our QB situation.
I think you are grossly underestimating Taylor Cornelius and his potential...time will tell but I see him playing up to the competition as we move forward. I'm stoked about his ability to run that we haven't really used yet and the fact that I think we will be better upfront even after they didn't look the part in the run game this past week. I think we sure that up and go out and beat a very very good BSU team. Rankings going in only matter if we lose. We win and they take care of themselves, but I just get frustrated by the bias sometimes. That's it.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I think you are grossly underestimating Taylor Cornelius and his potential...time will tell but I see him playing up to the competition as we move forward. I'm stoked about his ability to run that we haven't really used yet and the fact that I think we will be better upfront even after they didn't look the part in the run game this past week. I think we sure that up and go out and beat a very very good BSU team. Rankings going in only matter if we lose. We win and they take care of themselves, but I just get frustrated by the bias sometimes. That's it.
Fair enough, but even you just mentioned that "time will tell" if Cornelius is up to the challenge. That's basically what the rankings have done by getting us to #24. We have potential, but nobody will know much until after we play Boise. Even if we win, I still could see people saying that Boise isn't that great either, so we may only climb to 18 or so depending on who loses ahead of us.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
you have not beaten anyone. kansas has as good a win as Oklahoma State. I think the pollsters put the Cowboys in out of respect for past seasons-not based on anything they've done this season.

That's why i dont like polls-and agree with playoff committee which doesnt rank teams until a sizable chunk of data is in.

Beating VT in a bowl means zippo. it's a new season. your qb and receivers are gone and VT is obviously much much better-having destroyed Miami in miami. Oklahoma State may be better than VT again, but you cant rank them based on last year's game lol.

TCU thumped you last year, and kstate beat you-you dont want those losses influencing this year's ranking. and they shouldnt. Kstate was decent last year-this year they are 10th in a 10 team league.
I think the Pokes have earned their place at the adult table, CFP since it began:

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 12.41.28 PM.png

LakeCowboy

1945 National Champions
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK

Your school hasn't done anything since they joined the Big12, nor have you been relevant in the Big12 title hunt. You've mastered finishing in the 5 to 8 range in the conference standings. Have fun down there again this year. Grier hasn't beaten a decent team yet at WVU.

Last edited:

LakeCowboy

1945 National Champions
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
Tenn beat a cupcake 59-3 on Saturday. well see how bad tenn is at season's end. it will end up one of the better big 12 wins ooc, if not the top win ooc, unless wvu beats nc state and the wolfpack go on to do something in the ACC.

TCU could get the best win with Ohio State, but ill say it now-not happening.
Tennessee will be lucky to win 5 games.

Oct 30, 2007
Tenn beat a cupcake 59-3 on Saturday. well see how bad tenn is at season's end. it will end up one of the better big 12 wins ooc, if not the top win ooc, unless wvu beats nc state and the wolfpack go on to do something in the ACC.

TCU could get the best win with Ohio State, but ill say it now-not happening.
The top big12 ooc win? That is funny. Ou beat UCLA which is already very stiff competition. Ku over CMu also has a shot. Baylor could beat Duke this Saturday and that would settle it. Ttech, OSU, tu, and tcu all have a shot at massacring the win over tenn this Saturday. WVU vs ncstate is cancelled so that one is out. If tenn repeats its 2017 performance, then Ku has another chance to beat it out against Rutgers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk