AP Poll Week 3

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The AP is a tough crowd.
Yep, I think both teams should be ranked higher...especially since the last two teams we both beat by 10 and 9 respectively being ranked...Oregon at #20 Virginia Tech at #13. Va Tech is real head scratcher compared to Oklahoma State anyway. Gotta win this game to get any respect...which is a shame because they are also underrated.

Mar 8, 2010
While we've made great strides recently with the national media, it just goes to show we're not with the big boys yet when it comes to getting the benefit of the doubt. There still are a lot of clueless media too lazy to do their homework and vote by brand reputation rather than actual evidence.

Sep 9, 2013
you have not beaten anyone. kansas has as good a win as Oklahoma State. I think the pollsters put the Cowboys in out of respect for past seasons-not based on anything they've done this season.

That's why i dont like polls-and agree with playoff committee which doesnt rank teams until a sizable chunk of data is in.

Beating VT in a bowl means zippo. it's a new season. your qb and receivers are gone and VT is obviously much much better-having destroyed Miami in miami. Oklahoma State may be better than VT again, but you cant rank them based on last year's game lol.

TCU thumped you last year, and kstate beat you-you dont want those losses influencing this year's ranking. and they shouldnt. Kstate was decent last year-this year they are 10th in a 10 team league.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
ND struggled with the mighty State of Ball. Yet top 10 baby!!

Please don't start on the importance of scheduling. The U played Savannah State and Bama played Arky State.

WVa beat a bad Tenn team and Youngstown State. There should be no rankings until week 6.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
ND struggled with the mighty State of Ball. Yet top 10 baby!!

Please don't start on the importance of scheduling. The U played Savannah State and Bama played Arky State.

WVa beat a bad Tenn team and Youngstown State. There should be no rankings until week 6.
Early rankings are used to drive TV ratings.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
you have not beaten anyone. kansas has as good a win as Oklahoma State. I think the pollsters put the Cowboys in out of respect for past seasons-not based on anything they've done this season.

That's why i dont like polls-and agree with playoff committee which doesnt rank teams until a sizable chunk of data is in.

Beating VT in a bowl means zippo. it's a new season. your qb and receivers are gone and VT is obviously much much better-having destroyed Miami in miami. Oklahoma State may be better than VT again, but you cant rank them based on last year's game lol.

TCU thumped you last year, and kstate beat you-you dont want those losses influencing this year's ranking. and they shouldnt. Kstate was decent last year-this year they are 10th in a 10 team league.
Of course last season's results count for something in the first week or 2 of a new season. It's all we really have to go with. You look at last year's results, then factor in the players who returned or left the team, and go from there.

It's not an exact science, but we all do it in our posts all summer long. The pollsters get things wrong because there is a lot of guessing to it early in the year. Some teams with brand recognition get more benefit of the doubt than they deserve so we bitch and moan about that but we are hoping to get the same street cred ourselves one of these days.

Similarly the pollsters tend to focus on high profile positions disproportionately. Accurate or not, we lose a couple of big names that score points and that goes a lot further to preseason perception than, hypothetically, returning a lot of players at the other positions that should still count for a lot.

I like to fuss about it too, but everybody has plenty of opportunity to be ranked where they deserve by the end of the year.

Sep 9, 2013
Tenn beat a cupcake 59-3 on Saturday. well see how bad tenn is at season's end. it will end up one of the better big 12 wins ooc, if not the top win ooc, unless wvu beats nc state and the wolfpack go on to do something in the ACC.

TCU could get the best win with Ohio State, but ill say it now-not happening.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Tenn beat a cupcake 59-3 on Saturday. well see how bad tenn is at season's end. it will end up one of the better big 12 wins ooc, if not the top win ooc, unless wvu beats nc state and the wolfpack go on to do something in the ACC.

Tenn won 4 games last year. I know about your clean slate theory but they have to win a few games before anyone sees them as such a great ooc win. Where I come from a ranked team > unranked team. Of course we have to go out and beat that ranked team before it counts for anything.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

If we beat Boise State that will be better than WVU over Tennessee. Where is Tennessee in the polls? Where is Boise St.?

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Yep, I think both teams should be ranked higher...especially since the last two teams we both beat by 10 and 9 respectively being ranked...Oregon at #20 Virginia Tech at #13. Va Tech is real head scratcher compared to Oklahoma State anyway. Gotta win this game to get any respect...which is a shame because they are also underrated.
Did you see the FSU game? VT looks legit. And that was against a conference (aka "real") opponent.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

VT also lost 3 defensive players to the NFL...they were ranked high going into the season, NOT just after beating FSU (who isn't any good right now), it's east coast bias. IMHO, we would beat them straight up again if we played tomorrow. I agree however the polls are meaningless at this point and unbiased observations prove that.

Yes we lost to TCU and KSU in games that we should never have, but we kicked WVU's butt last year in Morgantown and it wasn't close. We will beat your team in Stillwater again this year as well (that is if we can recover from whatever happens in Norman the week prior). But I digress, this weekend is a huge game and Boise is playing as well or better than anyone in the country right now. I'd rather play the Mountaineers this Saturday than them.

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Did you see the FSU game? VT looks legit. And that was against a conference (aka "real") opponent.
They were "legit" in the bowl game when we played them as well and they lost 4 guys to the NFL draft on defense...we are "legit" as well, but it's going to take a major effort this Saturday to prove that as pundits don't deeply research our team OR Boise, only who we lost and don't seem to respect the fact that we have won 10 games 3 of the last 4 years...Nor do they respect our next opponent.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2011
Which one of your victories puts WVU on a pedestal?

Is it Tennessee? With their first year coach, coming off of a last place finish in the SEC (even Vanderbilt beat them by 22 points), that the media predicted to finish 11th in the SEC this season?

Or is it Youngstown State? Which I don't even need to explain.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
They were "legit" in the bowl game when we played them as well and they lost 3 guys to the NFL on defense...we are "legit" as well, but it's going to take a major effort this Saturday to prove that as pundits don't deeply research our team, only who we lost and don't seem to respect the fact that we have won 10 games 3 of the last 4 years...
The pundits don't deeply research anyone except the top 10 probably. And yes - VT is more legit than we are. They've played a conference game against a ranked opponent and absolutely dominated them. If we dominate Boise this week, then you'll have a point. Until then, we're a team that lost a ton of talent on offense, have a new DC, still don't have a ST coordinator, and have won two glorified scrimmages. Let's revisit this conversation after BSU.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
They were "legit" in the bowl game when we played them as well and they lost 3 guys to the NFL on defense...we are "legit" as well, but it's going to take a major effort this Saturday to prove that as pundits don't deeply research our team, only who we lost and don't seem to respect the fact that we have won 10 games 3 of the last 4 years...
The pundits don't deeply research anyone except the top 10 probably. And yes - VT is more legit than we are. They've played a conference game against a ranked opponent and absolutely dominated them. If we dominate Boise this week, then you'll have a point. Until then, we're a team that lost a ton of talent on offense, have a new DC, still don't have a ST coordinator, and have won two glorified scrimmages. Let's revisit this conversation after BSU.
I don't understand. Are you on OSU's side in this, or nolaeer's?

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
VT's win over Free Shoe U does not look nearly as good after FSU almost lost to Samford. they were ranked due to the helmet. New HC, new everything, but top 25 baby! oops.