Anyone ever buy a used CPU?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
So I bought the cpu chip and received it today. Any suggestions on prep work before replacing it, outside of doing a back up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What cpu did you end up getting? I assume you bought a motherboard also?
I bought an AMD FX 8350. Did not buy a new motherboard. According to the manufacturer website the cpu will fit the current motherboard.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
I bought an AMD FX 8350. Did not buy a new motherboard. According to the manufacturer website the cpu will fit the current motherboard.

Ahh, so you stayed with the same chipset. What thermal paste are you using? Did you end up getting an SSD?

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK

Ahh, so you stayed with the same chipset. What thermal paste are you using? Did you end up getting an SSD?
Thermal paste is GD66, it came with the chip. Not doing the ssd yet, wanted to try this first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
OrangePower IT gurus! I need some help again. As the thread indicates I bought a new CPU for a desktop. I replaced the cpu tonight and the monitor will not recognize a signal coming from the desktop (it was before I put in the new cpu). I have reset the new cpu multiple times, put the old cpu back in and even pulled the video card and reset it. Still nothing on the monitor.

I also tried resetting the monitor and even hooked up another monitor and still no signal.

BTW when I pulled the fan off of the old cpu the cpu came out with the fan. Not sure if that would somehow damage the cpu “slot” or motherboard.

Any suggestions to resolve this issue?

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
OrangePower IT gurus! I need some help again. As the thread indicates I bought a new CPU for a desktop. I replaced the cpu tonight and the monitor will not recognize a signal coming from the desktop (it was before I put in the new cpu). I have reset the new cpu multiple times, put the old cpu back in and even pulled the video card and reset it. Still nothing on the monitor.

I also tried resetting the monitor and even hooked up another monitor and still no signal.

BTW when I pulled the fan off of the old cpu the cpu came out with the fan. Not sure if that would somehow damage the cpu “slot” or motherboard.

Does the system board have a built-in video card? Because if it does it's possible that that is interfering with the video card being organized on boot up. Do you get all the normal lights and sounds of the motherboard and the hard drive and everything spinning up and loading but just no picture? If so then that's probably the case. Try removing the video card completely and plugging into the motherboard video connection.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK

Does the system board have a built-in video card? Because if it does it's possible that that is interfering with the video card being organized on boot up. Do you get all the normal lights and sounds of the motherboard and the hard drive and everything spinning up and loading but just no picture? If so then that's probably the case. Try removing the video card completely and plugging into the motherboard video connection.
Thanks for the reply wrenhal.

I believe it is booting up normally, although not positive.

Not sure if there is a built in video card in the motherboard, how can I tell?

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
Couple of questions:
What is your powersupply wattage? You went from a 95 w TDP chip to a 125 w TDP chip. If you were on the edge of the powersupply capabilities, it might explain the issue.

Also have you tried resetting your CMOS? there are usually jumpers on the motherboard that you can discharge the CMOS thereby resetting BIOS to factory settings. May also need to pull the backup battery as well.

Also when you power on in this state, what is the behavior of all the fans? do the go and stay full throttle? Spin up and then stop? Spin full throttle and then slow down to a much quieter rate?

EDIT: I have seen something similar happen to me - and it was as simple as the cable failed in between the switching. Try another cable if you have not yet.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Couple of questions:
What is your powersupply wattage? You went from a 95 w TDP chip to a 125 w TDP chip. If you were on the edge of the powersupply capabilities, it might explain the issue.

Also have you tried resetting your CMOS? there are usually jumpers on the motherboard that you can discharge the CMOS thereby resetting BIOS to factory settings. May also need to pull the backup battery as well.

Also when you power on in this state, what is the behavior of all the fans? do the go and stay full throttle? Spin up and then stop? Spin full throttle and then slow down to a much quieter rate?

EDIT: I have seen something similar happen to me - and it was as simple as the cable failed in between the switching. Try another cable if you have not yet.
I pulled the battery out of the motherboard for a few minutes and put it back in. Do I need to do more to reset that?

On boot up all the fans run nonstop it does not beep like I think it used to when it is booting up.

I pulled the video card and connected the video cord to the motherboard video input and still no good. I believe my power supply is sufficient to push the 125 W see attached.

Not sure what else to do?

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
I pulled the battery out of the motherboard for a few minutes and put it back in. Do I need to do more to reset that?

On boot up all the fans run nonstop it does not beep like I think it used to when it is booting up.

I pulled the video card and connected the video cord to the motherboard video input and still no good. I believe my power supply is sufficient to push the 125 W see attached.

Not sure what else to do?

I would strip it down to bare essentials until it POSTs.

Remove everything except CPU, video, and one DIMM. Reseat the DIMM as well. Move the DIMM through all sockets. If that still doesn't get video, use another DIMM.

What video card again?

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Thanks for the reply wrenhal.

I believe it is booting up normally, although not positive.

Not sure if there is a built in video card in the motherboard, how can I tell?

Look for another video connector near the usb ports and such on the back of the computer.

Edit: nevermind. See you found it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
I would be surprised if the motherboard actually HAS onboard graphics. In this day and age (and also with the AMD FX lines) the HDMI and DP ports were used for video output of the iGPU of an APU.