Anyone ever buy a used CPU?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
My wife has an older gaming computer and the AMD FX cpu in it is limiting her experience. Was looking to upgrade to an FX8350 or higher and they are $300-$400 new. There are a number of used ones on Amazon as well.

If I need to dish out that kind of money might as well just get a new system.

Has anyone bought used cpus? Is it risky, seems like it would be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Yes, I've bought several. The last one I bought lasted 5 years before I replaced it and was still working fine. I replaced it with another refurbished unit. I buy certified refurbished.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Thanks Rx, where do you buy from?

The one I'm using at the moment I got from Newegg. The last one I bought from the university and was hoping to get another one this summer, but because of the pandemic we're not going to be replacing any computers any time soon, so I bought from Newegg.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
My wife has an older gaming computer and the AMD FX cpu in it is limiting her experience. Was looking to upgrade to an FX8350 or higher and they are $300-$400 new. There are a number of used ones on Amazon as well.

I may have confused myself reading this. Are you looking to buy a used FX8350 (CPU chip only) or higher or are you looking at buying a used/refurbished system (box)?

EDIT: and are you sure its the CPU that is limiting her experience? What graphics card is it using? What games does she play and at what resolution?

EDIT2x: what kind of storage medium? HDD, SSD? often moving from HDD to SSD for can be a game changer.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK

I may have confused myself reading this. Are you looking to buy a used FX8350 (CPU chip only) or higher or are you looking at buying a used/refurbished system (box)?

EDIT: and are you sure its the CPU that is limiting her experience? What graphics card is it using? What games does she play and at what resolution?

EDIT2x: what kind of storage medium? HDD, SSD? often moving from HDD to SSD for can be a game changer.
Looking to upgrade the chip. She is playing WOW. I checked the minimum and recommended specs and her cpu chip is currently an AMD FX 4300. The recommended by WOW is an 8310. I checked the graphics card specs as well and it exceeds the recommended.

I believe it is HDD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011

Looking to upgrade the chip. She is playing WOW. I checked the minimum and recommended specs and her cpu chip is currently an AMD FX 4300. The recommended by WOW is an 8310. I checked the graphics card specs as well and it exceeds the recommended.

I believe it is HDD.

Don't ever underestimate the affect that increasing the memory can have on a system as well.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK

I believe it is HDD.

Don't ever underestimate the affect that increasing the memory can have on a system as well.

Are you referring to RAM?

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX

I believe it is HDD.

I have never *purchased* a preowned CPU before but I have sold them before. Honest buyers never reported any issues. But I do not have a FX cpu to sell you. ;)

That said, on major sites with like ebay you should be able to get one. Just validate CPU-ID vs your BIOS support before ordering. Use paypal. do the safe things - validate pins on the chip prior to doing anything with it, dont order from overseas, etc

But in all honesty, I would scrap the platform. Even the entry level AMD Ryzen 3 chips will school the FX 8000 chips in single and multithreaded performance. you can do custom bundles on chips and MBs at microcenter for a good deal.

http://hwbench.com/cpus/amd-ryzen-3-2300x-vs-amd-fx-8100

Alternatively, if MB/CPU/RAM upgrade not in the cards due to cost - or cascading reasons (youre trying to upgrade a proprietary dell/HP or whatever) - I would suggest switching to SSD. It will make EVERYTHING run better. AND - you can reutilize it elsewhere if and when you do upgrade.

Just providing some additional perspective.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011

I believe it is HDD.

Are you referring to RAM?

Yes. RAM is memory. Memory is RAM.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere

I believe it is HDD.

The lowest hanging fruit is to replace the hdd with an ssd. It doesn't even have to be a very good ssd to get a massive boost for the average user. I agree with @s5mu93 though, just building a low budget ryzen 3 or ryzen 5 3600 would be pretty cost effective, especially is you already have a case and monitors.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK

I believe it is HDD.

The lowest hanging fruit is to replace the hdd with an ssd. It doesn't even have to be a very good ssd to get a massive boost for the average user. I agree with @s5mu93 though, just building a low budget ryzen 3 or ryzen 5 3600 would be pretty cost effective, especially is you already have a case and monitors.
Wouldn’t building a new set a Ryzen require a new motherboard?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I haven’t decided yet. Got busy putting a vinyl plank flooring down in our great room.

But leaning toward buying the used cpu chip or starting with converting ssd.

You gotta have SSD for your operating system. It's the only way to go. I have regular hard drives for storage.