Any chance OSU goes online only this fall?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You should go visit the COVID thread. He's not alone.

There will be tons of people willing to go to an OSU event, but I can't see a university taking that risk. It's a risk for students and the college town. That's not to downplay the economic risk to the town, which is why I come back to the season being pushed to the spring. Too much harm to cancel, but too much optimism about a January vaccine to not try for spring/winter.
* Deaths among college age young people is less than .08%. It's not a risk to college age kids unless they have severe underlying conditions.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
I'm just quoting those I know who have had it...my BROTHER for one. He said it's not as bad, at least for him, as other flu's he's had. I was upset that he got it when he did because I thought he was being careless and reported it on this board. He said he lost weight and couldn't eat...but STILL he said it wasn't as bad as flu's he's had. He told me today he swam a mile this am...he routinely rides his bike 50 to 100 miles since he had Covid-19...He's 58 years old, mind you he was an OSU Wrestler back in the day. He tested positive for the antibodies about two weeks ago when he gave blood. His covid was in late April early May. I also have SEVERAL friends from church who have had it and their entire families...INCLUDING my doctor. Pretty much all of them said and say it's a bad flu...EVEN my doctor. So NO I'm not holding on to a "delusion" I'm believing people I know and love...NOT delusion. Bottom line, wear a mask and get on your with life...The ONLY life worth living is one that you actually LIVE...Don't hide in the basement, just wear a mask. This isn't hard...nor is it deadly for the VAST (and I mean VAST) majority of people.

If you want to fear something Poke4Christ, fear the Lord and him alone...trust not in your, my, OR any mans understanding...
The reason why COVID is WAY worse the the flu is two fold.

1. It is WAY more contagious than the flu. The flu spreads slowly. Yes, it puts at risk people in the hospital and even kills them, but slowly enough that the medical system can handle it without being overwhelmed.
2. It is WAY more serious than the flu for at risk people. Though it is actually less serious than the flu for healthy people, for the small percentage of the population that are susceptible to it it is devastating.

When you combine 1 and 2 it means that our hospitals get quickly over-run when no precautions are taken. When that happens, people die that didn't have to. We run out of beds, care givers, and ventilators. That is what happened in Italy, Spain, and NY.

Yes, we intentionally wrecked our economy with the shutdowns. It was still necessary to protect those most at risk. When considering future shutdowns, we should 100% use hospitalizations/deaths as a metric and not positive tests. However, it is still EXTREMELY important to not do unnecessary activities. If postponing the college football season saves lives it should be done.

Additionally, I think we 100% should have an aggressive mask mandate in effect across the state. Anything we can do to prevent another shutdown needs to be done.

Also, since you brought it up I will too. God 100% wants us to trust in him and have faith and not fear. However, he also gave us a brain for a reason. Are we supposed to expect God to protect us from our own stupidity and supernaturally protect us from causing harm to ourselves or others by spreading this virus? No. If Jesus was physically here with us today he would say that you should stay home and social distance and in doing so you would be loving and protecting your neighbor.

Finally, I'm not one of those people blindly arguing to shut things down and saying "money for the rich isn't worth it". I know it means WAY more than that. I know it means livelihood for millions of people and business owners. I know that we could easily cause more of harm/death to people by recklessly shutting down. Though it will never be measured or reported on, I don't doubt that many other countries are causing more harm to their people than COVID would have done by staying shut down too long.

In conclusion, this is about balance. COVID is drastically serious and we need to treat it as such. Our leaders are likely staying up at night worrying about if they are doing the right thing. What will cause the least harm? No one can say for sure. We just have to pray we make the best decisions possible.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
* Deaths among college age young people is less than .08%. It's not a risk to college age kids unless they have severe underlying conditions.
I actually mostly agree with this. I honestly am still searching for someone to tell me why we shouldn't let all sports teams just sit down and have a covid party then isolate for 2 weeks. Seems to make a lot of sense.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I actually mostly agree with this. I honestly am still searching for someone to tell me why we shouldn't let all sports teams just sit down and have a covid party then isolate for 2 weeks. Seems to make a lot of sense.
I don't think you want to get it because if one of them gets a bad case it's on the one that puts on the covid party...just be responsible and wear mask in class and in groups. I don't think that's too much to ask of our students. Players during games are going to have contacts with others, that's why you temp check and test them...That keeps it out of the athletes at least and likely out of the school as well...We are going the route of killing the virus rather than herd immunity and that's likely smarter...who knows?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

1. It is WAY more contagious than the flu. The flu spreads slowly. Yes, it puts at risk people in the hospital and even kills them, but slowly enough that the medical system can handle it without being overwhelmed.
2. It is WAY more serious than the flu for at risk people. Though it is actually less serious than the flu for healthy people, for the small percentage of the population that are susceptible to it it is devastating.

When you combine 1 and 2 it means that our hospitals get quickly over-run when no precautions are taken. When that happens, people die that didn't have to. We run out of beds, care givers, and ventilators. That is what happened in Italy, Spain, and NY.

Yes, we intentionally wrecked our economy with the shutdowns. It was still necessary to protect those most at risk. When considering future shutdowns, we should 100% use hospitalizations/deaths as a metric and not positive tests. However, it is still EXTREMELY important to not do unnecessary activities. If postponing the college football season saves lives it should be done.

Additionally, I think we 100% should have an aggressive mask mandate in effect across the state. Anything we can do to prevent another shutdown needs to be done.

Also, since you brought it up I will too. God 100% wants us to trust in him and have faith and not fear. However, he also gave us a brain for a reason. Are we supposed to expect God to protect us from our own stupidity and supernaturally protect us from causing harm to ourselves or others by spreading this virus? No. If Jesus was physically here with us today he would say that you should stay home and social distance and in doing so you would be loving and protecting your neighbor.

Finally, I'm not one of those people blindly arguing to shut things down and saying "money for the rich isn't worth it". I know it means WAY more than that. I know it means livelihood for millions of people and business owners. I know that we could easily cause more of harm/death to people by recklessly shutting down. Though it will never be measured or reported on, I don't doubt that many other countries are causing more harm to their people than COVID would have done by staying shut down too long.

In conclusion, this is about balance. COVID is drastically serious and we need to treat it as such. Our leaders are likely staying up at night worrying about if they are doing the right thing. What will cause the least harm? No one can say for sure. We just have to pray we make the best decisions possible.
Maybe off topic, but what would Jesus say about us allowing, by staying home with our mouths shut, millions to die at the hands of abortionist? I think he might be saying it right now....

More food for thought...
Here's an example of Jesus reaction to highly contagious deadly disease spread by contact...its sort of the opposite of stay home and social distance...
Mark 1:40-45 40A man with leprosy came to him and begged him on his knees, "If you are willing, you can make me clean." 41Jesus was indignant. He reached out his hand and touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!" 42Immediately the leprosy left him and he was cleansed. 43Jesus sent him away at once with a strong warning: 44"See that you don't tell this to anyone. But go, show yourself to the priest and offer the sacrifices that Moses commanded for your cleansing, as a testimony to them." 45Instead he went out and began to talk freely, spreading the news. As a result, Jesus could no longer enter a town openly but stayed outside in lonely places. Yet the people still came to him from everywhere.

Like I said, food for thought... It's not as simple as staying home and not doing our job in our ministry. The missionaries who bring the Gospel to those in pandemics and under authoritian rule are the ones we always celebrate...not the ones that stay home with good intentions. IF we have faith the size of a mustard seed...we can move mountains far higher than Covid-19. Once again, this doesn't mean to be careless and I'm not condoning that in anyway. Just want a fellow believer to think about the possibility that Christ and his followers might have done the exact opposite of what you suggested.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
The absurdity of this is unreal. Honestly we have lost our minds. Need to open campus and get back to work...surge is in numbers not in deaths...when all is said and done the death rate will be the same or similar to the flu. Utter political crap being played out on our citizens right now.

To clarify, I'm totally for wearing a mask and being safe...but going to a game when everyone is temp checked and wearing a mask IS safe...and going to class where 98% are in their 20's or younger is off the chart safe. That's why I think the fear mongering that would cancel school and football season is absolutely politically bs.
How did four people place a negative on this? We need as a country to remain open.

Mar 11, 2006

A definite big-time no for me on a mask mandate. And I am a mask wearer.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
How did four people place a negative on this? We need as a country to remain open.
To be fair I added my "to be clear" statement later and they were just reacting to the other part...people are afraid and the media has done it's job in creating fear and trepidation.

Feb 18, 2009

At the risk of this being deleted like most other threads.....

I don't disagree. I am trying to trust as much as possible but it's getting hard. I will take any prayers anyone is willing to give. For guidance, wisdom, peace, patience, etc. I've been through the grieving process numerous times at this point over what is coming on a personal level. My entire life's work is on the line, starting over now isn't practical. I am staring bankruptcy in the face for doing nothing wrong.

Bottom line is the decision is not binary and must be calculated as mutually inclusive. The damage that is coming to millions of small business owners and their staffs will have much longer lasting ramifications. The economic impact of mass defaults will make the 1930's look like a party and no one is talking about it.

Lockdowns are expedient, sound public policy requires solutions. Our "leaders" are not providing that and have not since this started.

I would add, if you've been able to stay at home, work, collect a paycheck, etc and have really seen no impact, take a page from @Poke4Christ and don't lecture the rest of us that are having our lives destroyed without even getting sick. The world sucks enough, don't be that person.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
One reason why they aren't going fully online. Even Harvard and the Cal State system (the two that people have tried to say are going fully online) have said that those with required on campus components (read, labs and studios) would be allowed on campus. Also, yes, it would meet the new Visa requirements since, at least as I understood the announcement, they now only need one in person class to qualify for obtaining or keeping their visas.
It's funny that everyone is so upset about this, but it's the law. if ICE has to remove someone it's because they are breaking the law. And the restrictions have even been loosened because of Corona so it's very unlikely that anyone is gonna get deported. These are rules that have been put in place for a long time, but they are just trying to nail this on Trump.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
I didn't think they formally announced that, but it was reported that they're discussing it and likely to go with pushing all fall sports back. Still, I expect most universities to go that route. Too much optimism about a vaccine by January to not do it.
If there is a vaccine in under a year's time, then I recommend you don't get it. Normally takes multiple years to bring one to market, and I think under a year is gonna have problems.

Feb 18, 2009
The last thread was week ago today because it was a rumor, the one before that was ten days ago. Several threads have been moved because same reasons this one was moved, politics and religion in a sports thread.
Good to know. I wasn't even commenting at what you guys are dealing with right now. It was clear the thread was not about sports and I knew it would be moved or deleted. Simple stuff.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
It's funny that everyone is so upset about this, but it's the law. if ICE has to remove someone it's because they are breaking the law. And the restrictions have even been loosened because of Corona so it's very unlikely that anyone is gonna get deported. These are rules that have been put in place for a long time, but they are just trying to nail this on Trump.
Not sure I said anything about Trump. This policy is relevant for understanding what could possibly happen to Chuba and Amen (and maybe other players I missed who are likely on student visas) if OSU went all online.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
If there is a vaccine in under a year's time, then I recommend you don't get it. Normally takes multiple years to bring one to market, and I think under a year is gonna have problems.
I'm well aware and have followed vaccine development for a while. This seems more meant for the COVID thread. The overall point here is regardless of what you personally choose, lots of other people are optimistic we'll have an effective and safe vaccine by January (according to Trump it will be even sooner, since you seem to like defending him). So, universities will likely make the calculation that winter/spring is far less risky than the fall with better potential for more revenue.