Any chance OSU goes online only this fall?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The absurdity of this is unreal. Honestly we have lost our minds. Need to open campus and get back to work...surge is in numbers not in deaths...when all is said and done the death rate will be the same or similar to the flu. Utter political crap being played out on our citizens right now.

To clarify, I'm totally for wearing a mask and being safe...but going to a game when everyone is temp checked and wearing a mask IS safe...and going to class where 98% are in their 20's or younger is off the chart safe. That's why I think the fear mongering that would cancel school and football season is absolutely politically bs.

Last edited:

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
The absurdity of this is unreal. Honestly we have lost our minds. Need to open campus and get back to work...surge is in numbers not in deaths...when all is said and done the death rate will be the same or similar to the flu. Utter political crap being played out on our citizens right now.
Wow. Didn't realize there were still people out there holding on to this "same as the flu" delusion.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
A7BBB8EE-94B4-4C3D-9521-A5EF96DF6026.jpeg

I know. The conversation will shift to the hospitals inflating their numbers to get paid. But our death rates are in line with countries without additional benefits for COVID deaths. Or maybe “it’s just old people and those who were going to die anyway” Not according to the doctors who are getting overwhelmed.
https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1279924971146485760?s=21

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Wow. Didn't realize there were still people out there holding on to this "same as the flu" delusion.
You should go visit the COVID thread. He's not alone.

There will be tons of people willing to go to an OSU event, but I can't see a university taking that risk. It's a risk for students and the college town. That's not to downplay the economic risk to the town, which is why I come back to the season being pushed to the spring. Too much harm to cancel, but too much optimism about a January vaccine to not try for spring/winter.

Oct 29, 2016
US
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why the virus is strong and rampant. Don't be like Rack. Be smart, use common sense, and stay the hell home. For Pete's sake, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure this out.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
So they made it official today, meaning I was right. As of Tuesday (when we both wrote our statements) it wasn't official but is now. I still expect others to follow suit, though your major football powers will likely wait until closer to when the school year starts so that they don't have students pulling out of enrollment. The absence of sports will be a deterring factor for some students, as dumb as that may seem.

It's going to be miserable football weather for the midwest and northeast.
:facepalm:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why the virus is strong and rampant. Don't be like Rack. Be smart, use common sense, and stay the hell home. For Pete's sake, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure this out.
I didn't say a damn thing about not wearing a mask in public or being careful...I have NOTHING to do with virus spread. I do my part and it pisses me off that others don't...but you DON"T have the right nor authority to tell ANYONE to "stay the hell at home." That's bogus fear mongering and freedom grabbing and cannot be condoned.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'm just quoting those I know who have had it...my BROTHER for one. He said it's not as bad, at least for him, as other flu's he's had. I was upset that he got it when he did because I thought he was being careless and reported it on this board. He said he lost weight and couldn't eat...but STILL he said it wasn't as bad as flu's he's had. He told me today he swam a mile this am...he routinely rides his bike 50 to 100 miles since he had Covid-19...He's 58 years old, mind you he was an OSU Wrestler back in the day. He tested positive for the antibodies about two weeks ago when he gave blood. His covid was in late April early May. I also have SEVERAL friends from church who have had it and their entire families...INCLUDING my doctor. Pretty much all of them said and say it's a bad flu...EVEN my doctor. So NO I'm not holding on to a "delusion" I'm believing people I know and love...NOT delusion. Bottom line, wear a mask and get on your with life...The ONLY life worth living is one that you actually LIVE...Don't hide in the basement, just wear a mask. This isn't hard...nor is it deadly for the VAST (and I mean VAST) majority of people.

If you want to fear something Poke4Christ, fear the Lord and him alone...trust not in your, my, OR any mans understanding...

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
View attachment 83127
I know. The conversation will shift to the hospitals inflating their numbers to get paid. But our death rates are in line with countries without additional benefits for COVID deaths. Or maybe “it’s just old people and those who were going to die anyway” Not according to the doctors who are getting overwhelmed.
https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1279924971146485760?s=21
Yes, some states are increasing while all others are down. NY may have skewed the average, but the average rate of death per case is going to be very low when all is said and done. We are testing like mad...it's now up over 600K per day in the USA. A lot of the new cases are for people in the 20-50 range and those will turn out to be very low death numbers...to almost none. Bottom line we need to do our part, but the outright FEAR that has gripped our country is IMHO insane. Wear a mask, stay out of crowds, do your part...but don't hide in fear, UNLESS you are compromised or elderly.

1594322460144.png

1594322674189.png

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Yes, some states are increasing while all others are down. NY may have skewed the average, but the average rate of death per case is going to be very low when all is said and done. We are testing like mad...it's now up over 600K per day in the USA. A lot of the new cases are for people in the 20-50 range and those will turn out to be very low death numbers...to almost none. Bottom line we need to do our part, but the outright FEAR that has gripped our country is IMHO insane. Wear a mask, stay out of crowds, do your part...but don't hide in fear, UNLESS you are compromised or elderly.

View attachment 83135
View attachment 83136
I don’t disagree that wearing a mask is helpful. I think that goes a long ways. I also don’t disagree that the younger demographic is getting infected. But I think you’re understating the anticipated number of deaths. Also, your charts are nation-wide. The hospitalization one doesn’t include Florida, which is a major hotspot with the medical facilities filling up currently. The death rate will reach a tipping point as hospitals in the sun belt are overwhelmed. That’s the line we’re now dancing with and it needs to be made more manageable. I’m not promoting panic, but I’m also saying we need to be smarter about how we’re managing the situation. Masks should have been mandated months ago.
https://twitter.com/abc/status/1281254056036577281?s=21

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Quit boring them with facts. There's emotions on the line here.
If you still believe almost ANYTHING the media reports as "facts" I've got some ocean front property for sale in Arizona for ya. I heard the governor of Florida live refute this yesterday so I don't know who to believe. He said that typically Florida runs 95% full in Adult ICU beds NORMALLY and that these "stories" don't report that they (Florida) have availability in pediatric ICU beds that can be used as overflow and other options as well. the problem is that decent to good news doesn't promote clicks...that's why "facts" are few and far between these days in media articles.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Here's a story that is "mostly" good news about the virus and how we are doing nationally.
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-us-coronavirus-deaths-arent-rising-younger-cases-lag-time-2020-7?utm_source=feedburner&amp%3Butm_medium=referral&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+businessinsider+%28Business+Insider%29

from the article -
"There are good reasons to think that the ratio of COVID-19 deaths to cases during this second surge won't reach the same level it hit in April. That's primarily because increased testing is catching more mild cases, younger people make up a larger share of cases than they used to, and hospitals and doctors are better informed and prepared now."

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I think it's funny that one of you thought it was directed at you and the other thought I was agreeing. I just said don't let facts get in the way of emotions.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think it's funny that one of you thought it was directed at you and the other thought I was agreeing. I just said don't let facts get in the way of emotions.

I'm just asking your help to determine the facts...they are really hard to find in the age of media misinformation.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW

My reply was tongue-in-cheek.

But yes, there are “facts” and “emotions” on both sides of the issue.