Any chance OSU goes online only this fall?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Foreign Students Attending Schools That Operate Online-Only This Fall Will Be Barred From the U.S.

"Foreign students studying in the U.S. on student visas whose schools decide to only offer online classes will be prohibited from entering the country and must leave the U.S. if they are already present, ICE said."

And if so, will that have any impact on our foreign football players?
One reason why very few schools will truly go online only. International students have massive restrictions on how many online classes they can take and are explicitly barred from obtaining a Visa for online only programs, let alone entire universities. There will be pushback against this, but I suspect something like this rule will stay in place (the rule was somewhat loosened for the pandemic, just not entirely).

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
They can't declare online only too soon or kids will choose to skip this year. Expect it about a week into the semester.

May 29, 2007
NE OK
Harvard has already made their announcement...

I was just wondering what this would do to the foreign student athletes? Are Canadians required to have visas?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
They can't declare online only too soon or kids will choose to skip this year. Expect it about a week into the semester.
Most schools will hold out as long as possible before doing that. If cases explode on campus, they may shut down quickly, but I suspect they'll try to manage it for at least a month. There's a lot more than football riding on it.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Most schools will hold out as long as possible before doing that. If cases explode on campus, they may shut down quickly, but I suspect they'll try to manage it for at least a month. There's a lot more than football riding on it.
True, but football does mean money. Lots of it.

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
Harvard can afford it. They aren't reducing the standard tuition for online either which I think is $50,000 per year. Poor things have to pay for retirements, salaries, etc. besides that, they have an endowment of approximately $39.5B as of 2019.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I think this was mentioned before but I can’t find it. How are they handling classes that require a lab component or studio time? And if they have to do this part in person doesn’t that fulfill the requirements?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I think this was mentioned before but I can’t find it. How are they handling classes that require a lab component or studio time? And if they have to do this part in person doesn’t that fulfill the requirements?
My daughter is an art student at OSU. When the school went to online only, her classes replaced studio activities with research papers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
One reason why they aren't going fully online. Even Harvard and the Cal State system (the two that people have tried to say are going fully online) have said that those with required on campus components (read, labs and studios) would be allowed on campus. Also, yes, it would meet the new Visa requirements since, at least as I understood the announcement, they now only need one in person class to qualify for obtaining or keeping their visas.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Ivy League also announced today that all fall sports will be pushed back to the spring.
I didn't think they formally announced that, but it was reported that they're discussing it and likely to go with pushing all fall sports back. Still, I expect most universities to go that route. Too much optimism about a vaccine by January to not do it.

May 29, 2007
NE OK
I was wondering if we were to go online only what that would mean for our international athletes... But even then it looks like maybe Canadians are ok?

Maybe being an athlete would be good enough qualify as an in person class?

Or maybe we don't even have football at all this year so none of this even matters...

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I didn't think they formally announced that, but it was reported that they're discussing it and likely to go with pushing all fall sports back. Still, I expect most universities to go that route. Too much optimism about a vaccine by January to not do it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/...-league-fall-sports-football-coronavirus.html

The Ivy League presidents placed all sports on hold Wednesday until at least January, making it the first Division I conference that will not play football as scheduled in the fall because of the coronavirus pandemic.

As a result, a broad array of sports, from football and men’s basketball to cross country and sailing, have been placed in limbo. Practices could take place in the fall, beginning with limited individual and small group workouts, but conditions would have to improve dramatically for sports to be played next year.

The presidents said in a statement that sports could not be played under campus-wide policies that include restrictions on student and staff travel, social distancing requirements and limits on group gatherings.
“With the information available to us today regarding the continued spread of the virus, we simply do not believe we can create and maintain an environment for intercollegiate athletic competition that meets our requirements for safety and acceptable levels of risk,” the statement read.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
My daughter is a vocal performance major at Boston Conservatory. They’re going 40-60 which is insane for a musical and arts school. I don’t know how she’ll be able to do it. (We just got back from Boston, getting her apartment ready)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/...-league-fall-sports-football-coronavirus.html

The Ivy League presidents placed all sports on hold Wednesday until at least January, making it the first Division I conference that will not play football as scheduled in the fall because of the coronavirus pandemic.

As a result, a broad array of sports, from football and men’s basketball to cross country and sailing, have been placed in limbo. Practices could take place in the fall, beginning with limited individual and small group workouts, but conditions would have to improve dramatically for sports to be played next year.

The presidents said in a statement that sports could not be played under campus-wide policies that include restrictions on student and staff travel, social distancing requirements and limits on group gatherings.
“With the information available to us today regarding the continued spread of the virus, we simply do not believe we can create and maintain an environment for intercollegiate athletic competition that meets our requirements for safety and acceptable levels of risk,” the statement read.
So they made it official today, meaning I was right. As of Tuesday (when we both wrote our statements) it wasn't official but is now. I still expect others to follow suit, though your major football powers will likely wait until closer to when the school year starts so that they don't have students pulling out of enrollment. The absence of sports will be a deterring factor for some students, as dumb as that may seem.

It's going to be miserable football weather for the midwest and northeast.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
USC is going mostly online.

https://nbcpalmsprings.com/2020/07/...ate-classes-will-be-online-for-fall-semester/

Honestly, I expect this to only become more pronounced as we get closer to the fall semester. Here are my predictions:

• Classes at all Major campuses will go mostly online. Each class will have to justify having students in a classroom. Example, Engineering students using a lab that has necessary equipment.
  • There will not be any (Pro or College) Major sporting events held in 2020 with fans in attendance.
  • Football MIGHT happen in the fall, but I think most likely we are looking at it getting postponed until the spring. I don't see much of a chance it gets canceled entirely and IMHO it will be worse if it isn't postponed. I believe having it in the fall means TONS of COVID caused game cancellations and player absences.
  • Pro Football will still happen in the fall, but only because they can better handle things vs colleges that have to deal with student athletes.
  • All major pro sports will continue as currently planned, but college sports will be majorly impacted. Many smaller colleges and sports will straight up cancel the seasons.
  • TONS more announcements coming for cuts. Both budget/pay cuts and entire sports like Stanford just did.

FYI, if you are wanting to know why I am 95% certain we will have no publicly attended major sporting events in 2020, it is because there are documented cases of pre-shutdown sporting events being major hot spots for transmission.

https://vtdigger.org/2020/06/18/uvm...-major-spreading-event-vtdigger-survey-finds/

Edit: Just saw this on twitter shortly after making this post. 75% of ADs believe the College Football season will be postponed.

https://watchstadium.com/almost-75-of-fbs-ads-believe-college-football-will-be-delayed-07-08-2020/
I just don't see any way that they will be able to justify allowing it. If they for some crazy reason still do, anyone who attends is being VERY socially irresponsible IMHO.

Last edited:
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
USC is going mostly online.

https://nbcpalmsprings.com/2020/07/...ate-classes-will-be-online-for-fall-semester/

Honestly, I expect this to only become more pronounced as we get closer to the fall semester. Here are my predictions:

• Classes at all Major campuses will go mostly online. Each class will have to justify having students in a classroom. Example, Engineering students using a lab that has necessary equipment.
  • There will not be any (Pro or College) Major sporting events held in 2020 with fans in attendance.
  • Football MIGHT happen in the fall, but I think most likely we are looking at it getting postponed until the spring. I don't see much of a chance it gets canceled entirely and IMHO it will be worse if it isn't postponed. I believe having it in the fall means TONS of COVID caused game cancellations and player absences.
  • Pro Football will still happen in the fall, but only because they can better handle things vs colleges that have to deal with student athletes.
  • All major pro sports will continue as currently planned, but college sports will be majorly impacted. Many smaller colleges and sports will straight up cancel the seasons.
  • TONS more announcements coming for cuts. Both budget/pay cuts and entire sports like Stanford just did.

FYI, if you are wanting to know why I am 95% certain we will have no publicly attended major sporting events in 2020, it is because there are documented cases of pre-shutdown sporting events being major hot spots for transmission.

https://vtdigger.org/2020/06/18/uvm...-major-spreading-event-vtdigger-survey-finds/

I just don't see any way that they will be able to justify allowing it. If they for some crazy reason still do, anyone who attends is being VERY socially irresponsible IMHO.
Almost everyone with plans to open their campuses is basically mostly online as it is. Every college has said the fall will look different and you won't have traditional lectures except in very few instances. Nebraska told their faculty that incorporating any in person experiences on campus counts as in person. State schools that mostly pull students from a local region will be at an advantage here.