Android TV (suggestions?)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
So one of our FireTV remotes is going bad and since the replacement remote practically costs the same as a new Firestick I'm considering moving our living room FireTV into that room and getting a new device for the living room. Currently we have all FireTV devices which is handy since we have Prime but I'm not locked to it by any means. (I would just want to make sure the new device is compatible with Prime Video.) Do you guys have any recommendations in the sub $100 range, or is that just too low of a budget? The only one I'm not even considering is the Chromecast because Google won't get their head out of their ass and come out with one that has it's own remote... This coming from a household that has a Nest thermostat, Nest Hello, 2 Nest hubs and 2 Google Home Mini's and a Chromecast (that I never use for said reason)... "Having it's own remote" is an INCREDIBLY low bar to meet but they've never been able to meet it and don't appear to have any intention to change that...

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
So one of our FireTV remotes is going bad and since the replacement remote practically costs the same as a new Firestick I'm considering moving our living room FireTV into that room and getting a new device for the living room. Currently we have all FireTV devices which is handy since we have Prime but I'm not locked to it by any means. (I would just want to make sure the new device is compatible with Prime Video.) Do you guys have any recommendations in the sub $100 range, or is that just too low of a budget? The only one I'm not even considering is the Chromecast because Google won't get their head out of their ass and come out with one that has it's own remote... This coming from a household that has a Nest thermostat, Nest Hello, 2 Nest hubs and 2 Google Home Mini's and a Chromecast (that I never use for said reason)... "Having it's own remote" is an INCREDIBLY low bar to meet but they've never been able to meet it and don't appear to have any intention to change that...
The remote is your phone. connect the tv to your phone. It is really easy. Also Roku is heads above the fire tv

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
The remote is your phone. connect the tv to your phone. It is really easy. Also Roku is heads above the fire tv
Yeah, I know the remote is my phone. That doesn't do me any good if someone beside myself that doesn't have a phone setup on the network wants to use the TV though... I shouldn't have to have my own $300-$1000 "remote" that only works for me to operate it... Making it 100% controlled by a phone has never made sense to me. As an option (like on FireTv's) sure, but the sole controller???

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Yeah, I know the remote is my phone. That doesn't do me any good if someone beside myself that doesn't have a phone setup on the network wants to use the TV though... I shouldn't have to have my own $300-$1000 "remote" that only works for me to operate it... Making it 100% controlled by a phone has never made sense to me. As an option (like on FireTv's) sure, but the sole controller???
As long as they are both on the same wifi network, you can use any phone.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
About this. It's not actually that hard to get a $40 phone from like Walmart. In the Prepaid AT&T phones. Keep it around and use it as the remote. If you have a smart TV also, you can basically set it up with all the remote apps to run your hardware.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
So after some researching it looks like there's a solid chance of Google releasing a Chromecast with physical remote later this year. I might just have to wait and see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
I'd buy a used NVIDIA Shield TV before a new Fire TV. Fire TV is a glorified raspberry pi. Love the Shield and it's pass through video and audio capabilities, and the speed. But sub $100 ain't in it.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I'd buy a used NVIDIA Shield TV before a new Fire TV. Fire TV is a glorified raspberry pi. Love the Shield and it's pass through video and audio capabilities, and the speed. But sub $100 ain't in it.
Oh, I'd definitely consider this but just can't justify the price tag for what I'll actually be using it for. I don't have a home theater system or even a 4k tv... I've just got sound bar and a 55" panasonic plasma I bought back in 2010 and the damn thing just won't die.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
Oh, I'd definitely consider this but just can't justify the price tag for what I'll actually be using it for. I don't have a home theater system or even a 4k tv... I've just got sound bar and a 55" panasonic plasma I bought back in 2010 and the damn thing just won't die.
Well, to me a plasma has a better picture than anything sub 4K. LCDs just don't look "natural". Nothing wrong with that old Panny. But I understand. I do see the older Shields going for around $100 on CL - and they're worth it if you don't need 4K and Atmos and such.