Amy Coney Barrett Supreme Court Hearings

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Never heard of either of those schools. Names could be straight out of Harry Potter.

Both look like good schools. Swarthmore has a $2B endowment which seems crazy. Awesome looking campuses too. Probably one of my favorite things to do on road trips is go to campuses. Think I have done all of the Ivy league now and I bet at least half of each power 5 conference schools.
You've never heard of Bryn Mawr? It's one of the "Seven Sisters" to the Ivy League schools. Radcliffe is another of the Seven Sisters. Jenny in Love Story was a Radcliffe student. The Seven Sisters were all-female equivalents of the then all-male Ivy League schools. Radcliffe and Vassar are no longer exclusive, but Smith College, Barnard College, Bryn Mawr College, Mount Holyoke College, and Wellesley College continue to be all-female/trans/etc. The redhead's niece did her undergrad at Smith College. It's every bit as snobby as the Ivys, if not more so.

A Harvard-Yale game in Cambridge is on my bucket list.
If I hear Bryn Mawr it rings a bell. In writing though it is more exotic. Swarthmore is completely new.

Some of those others ring a bell too. All guy cousins and small town OK I must have not run into many liberal art girls with the grades and means to go to those schools.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
If I hear Bryn Mawr it rings a bell. In writing though it is more exotic. Swarthmore is completely new.

Some of those others ring a bell too. All guy cousins and small town OK I must have not run into many liberal art girls with the grades and means to go to those schools.
If I remember correctly Bryn Mark is in the Philly/Penn area and Swathmore was upstate New York

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

I live in liberal arts land, so...

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
"No one got fat except for mamma Cass"

Seems harsh. Ha
Looked up songfacts. Apparently, it was not a reference to her weight, but to the fact that she was actually making money by singing jazz in nightclubs at the time the M&Ps were formed. Of course, it ended up being kind of a cruel double entendre.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
https://twitter.com/GOPChairwoman/status/1317112137756626949?s=20

How dare a woman try to speak when there are rich white hetero male democrats around...she should learn her place.
It's all just like Handmaid's Tale, and Trump's fault!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The strangest part of the whole clown show was when Hirono asked Barrett if she had ever sexually harassed anyone. Did they ask RGB that same question? It was just weird because I'm thinking, do they expect something to stick here?

It looked like the attorney in some Lifetime movie or an old LA Law episode where they follow with a gotcha by pulling out some documents and asking "well what about this..."? Except they had no "what about this" and everyone knew they didn't.

What was the point?

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
The strangest part of the whole clown show was when Hirono asked Barrett if she had ever sexually harassed anyone. Did they ask RGB that same question? It was just weird because I'm thinking, do they expect something to stick here?

It looked like the attorney in some Lifetime movie or an old LA Law episode where they follow with a gotcha by pulling out some documents and asking "well what about this..."? Except they had no "what about this" and everyone knew they didn't.

What was the point?
The confirmation of supreme court nominees we have seen in the last few years by congress gives us the problem we have in Washington.

The hearings have become more about political theater and campaign speeches to retain their seat in congress.

It's detrimental to the health of this country.

Term limits for Congress should be on the national ballot.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The confirmation of supreme court nominees we have seen in the last few years by congress gives us the problem we have in Washington.

The hearings have become more about political theater and campaign speeches to retain their seat in congress.

It's detrimental to the health of this country.

Term limits for Congress should be on the national ballot.
One of the Senators spoke for his full 30 minutes and never got around to a question.