Ammo Reloading

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

dds115

Free Roverto!!!
Aug 11, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
www.hirecoachgundyscoaches.com
The only negatives i have seen are 1) only straight walled pistol cartridges and 2) proprietary Dillon dies.

I think I can live with both of those. I don't expect to save money. I just want to shoot more without having to give up eating and beer. Everyone seems to have high opinion of dillon presses.
Here is the problem right now... pistol powder is much harder to find than CCI Mini Mags. I've seen it once at Cabela's since January, and they only got 4 pounds in. I have a powder guy that can get it once every few months. It is a really bad time to get into reloading in general, but even worse for pistols. If you can find powder you can save good money. I reload 45ACP for less than $10 a box. Rife powder is getting better, thankfully.

If you have rifles I would probably get a press that you can use with rifle reloading. It is an addicting hobby.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
At Bass Pro today in OKC and saw a large selection of Hodgdon Powder and a good selection of IMR. I'll keep looking for some 1680. Actually, I may have a one pound container. I'll look.

dds115

Free Roverto!!!
Aug 11, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Reloading is in my future. Already starting to hoard my spent brass. Any good online resources for newbs?
www.reddit.com/r/reloading Read the FAQs on the side bar, there is great info there.

If you would like to make the trip to Fort Worth sometime I would be happy to show you my set up and teach you what I know. I have been reloading for 11ish months, I am far from a pro, but know the basics well.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
Reloading is in my future. Already starting to hoard my spent brass. Any good online resources for newbs?
There are many reloading pages on Facebook. If you want to start small, but with a solid company (reloading components) look up the Lee Reloading group. They have all the answers to your questions. Start with a single stage press and work your way up.

I LOVE reloading. It's a passion now! :)

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
There are many reloading pages on Facebook. If you want to start small, but with a solid company (reloading components) look up the Lee Reloading group. They have all the answers to your questions. Start with a single stage press and work your way up.

I LOVE reloading. It's a passion now! :)
A buddy gave me some hornady 45ACP dies (he favors the dillon), some dry tumbler media, and about a gazillion 9mm casings. Has anyone started or used the Lee Classic Turret press? I am thinking about starting on that.

dds115

Free Roverto!!!
Aug 11, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
A buddy gave me some hornady 45ACP dies (he favors the dillon), some dry tumbler media, and about a gazillion 9mm casings. Has anyone started or used the Lee Classic Turret press? I am thinking about starting on that.
As far as dies, for pistol Hornady dies are all you need. Dillon are WAY over priced. If I'm spending that much money on dies, I'm getting Redding. I've never used a Lee, but I think for pistol you will likely be well served on it. Do you have pistol powder?

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
As far as dies, for pistol Hornady dies are all you need. Dillon are WAY over priced. If I'm spending that much money on dies, I'm getting Redding. I've never used a Lee, but I think for pistol you will likely be well served on it. Do you have pistol powder?
Not even to that point yet. I haven't actually purchased anything yet. Just coming up with a "bill o' goods" that meets my needs.

dds115

Free Roverto!!!
Aug 11, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Not even to that point yet. I haven't actually purchased anything yet. Just coming up with a "bill o' goods" that meets my needs.
Finding pistol powder is still nearly impossible at this point. When you get to that point let me know and I'll give you a phone number of a guy I have bought powder from. I'm not sure if he will have any, but he buys wholesale and sells it at a fairly reasonable price. If he doesn't have any, I could probably part with a pound for what I paid, I think in the neighborhood of $30.